OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

I think it will be hard if not impossible to match that CPU score in the link when using Win8.

Here is an interesting comparison of CPU performance under Windows 7 versus Windows 8. Notice that Windows 8 was run at 4.7GHz and Windows 7 at 4.3GHz.

3Dmark11 Comparison Result: Windows 8 @ 4.7GHz - P15031 | Windows 7 @ 4.3GHz - P15021

[LEFT]Windows 8 [/LEFT] [LEFT]Windows 7 [/LEFT]

And this was Windows 7 @ 4.7GHz...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

Is that with the same amount of processes and services running in the background?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't think you can make them exactly the same. Windows 7 does not run the Metro interface and associated stuff.

• Founder
I don't think you can make them exactly the same. Windows 7 does not run the Metro interface and associated stuff.

I think the best way to compare them is completely stock, with only the absolutely necessary drivers installed

• Founder
New World Record

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8032[/ATTACH]

Can't wait to see what the dual psu mod will net. I'm predicting 21k gpu.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Is that with the same amount of processes and services running in the background?
Pretty close to the same. Both are clean installs with very little software installed and no Windows Updates. I installed MS Office and XTU under Windows 8, but otherwise they are both bare bones.

Windows 8 has always impaired CPU performance for some reason. I have tested both OS enough that it unquestionably clear in my mind that Windows 7 performance is a shade better overall. It's interesting that Windows 8 is supposedly designed to run well on anemic, under-powered junk computers and tablets. It would seem reasonable to expect it to run faster with robust hardware, but it doesn't necessarily. It does a nice job with GPU intensive tasks, but not so much with the CPU.

This is a shame because I really appreciate many of the features Windows 8 provides (excluding the Modern UI and the worthless app crap), but Windows 7 is still the superior OS for benching. For that reason, I just carved out a 100GB partition on my Agility 3 RAID0 volume for Windows 7 benching exclusively. I prefer using Windows 8 for everything else. I wish there was a way to disable or completely remove the Modern UI Start screen. It's about as worthless as the tits on a boar.

Can't wait to see what the dual psu mod will net. I'm predicting 21k gpu.
I have been considering doing this since before anyone had even heard of 780M because 330W is not enough power for a heavily overclocked XM and 680M SLI. Perhaps it is time to stop procrastinating and move forward. Has anyone started planning a similar mod for the M18x R1/R2? @johnksss are you getting ready to do this yet?

It can't be all that difficult based on what I have seen with the previous mods. In fact, it is probably going to be easier since the chip inside the AC adapter is already the right one for the motherboard. It would be nice to see how much better 680M SLI would overclock along with the XM CPU, notwithstanding the inevitable upgrade to 780M SLI. (This would give me the GPUs needed for my spare M18x built from my stash of extra parts, too.)

It would be kind of slick to see a mod using a fancy-looking modular ATX PSU instead of a dual AC adapter, but that might take a lot more effort and creativity than grafting together a pair of standard 330W AC adapters.

Pretty close to the same. Both are clean installs with very little software installed and no Windows Updates. I installed MS Office and XTU under Windows 8, but otherwise they are both bare bones.

Windows 8 has always impaired CPU performance for some reason. I have tested both OS enough that it unquestionably clear in my mind that Windows 7 performance is a shade better overall. It's interesting that Windows 8 is supposedly designed to run well on anemic, under-powered junk computers and tablets. It would seem reasonable to expect it to run faster with robust hardware, but it doesn't necessarily. It does a nice job with GPU intensive tasks, but not so much with the CPU.

This is a shame because I really appreciate many of the features Windows 8 provides (excluding the Modern UI and the worthless app crap), but Windows 7 is still the superior OS for benching. For that reason, I just carved out a 100GB partition on my Agility 3 RAID0 volume for Windows 7 benching exclusively. I prefer using Windows 8 for everything else. I wish there was a way to disable or completely remove the Modern UI Start screen. It's about as worthless as the tits on a boar.

I have been considering doing this since before anyone had even heard of 780M because 330W is not enough power for a heavily overclocked XM and 680M SLI. Perhaps it is time to stop procrastinating and move forward. Has anyone started planning a similar mod for the M18x R1/R2? @johnksss are you getting ready to do this yet?

It can't be all that difficult based on what I have seen with the previous mods. In fact, it is probably going to be easier since the chip inside the AC adapter is already the right one for the motherboard. It would be nice to see how much better 680M SLI would overclock along with the XM CPU, notwithstanding the inevitable upgrade to 780M SLI. (This would give me the GPUs needed for my spare M18x built from my stash of extra parts, too.)

It would be kind of slick to see a mod using a fancy-looking modular ATX PSU instead of a dual AC adapter, but that might take a lot more effort and creativity than grafting together a pair of standard 330W AC adapters.

Mr. Fox I combined a 240W PSU and a 330W PSU (the 330W AW PSU only runs up to 240W in non m18x systems for some reason). When doing this the 330W PSU had a resistor that got so hot that the solder on it melted, as well as burning glue that was dribbled on it. The PSU ran even when this was occurring, and when unplugging the 240W PSU the PSU operates normally again. The resistor that superheated is labeled R102 on the PSU.

The 330W PSU has an unloaded voltage of 19.57V, and the 240W 19.48V. Unfortunately the 330W never goes below 19.49V before shutting down, so the mod ended up being useless since the 240W would never get loaded.

Clevo uses a very similar 330W PSU for the PW570 though and they'll even sell you an extra PSU and splitter. I wonder if the resistor is superheating on these PSUs and they just run them like that anyway? IDK what the resistor is for, but usually components heating above the melting point of solder is bad. If the clevo PSU does not have this issue I doubt you can use it. Clevo systems don't bother checking PSU IDs, so the PSU probably lacks ID hardware.

I have heard of people combining 240W PSUs for the m17x without issues. 480W should be plenty for m18x SLI.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice, well done Mr. Fox, Damn, the 780,s have gone way past me total, i have to upgrade.. LOL

Edit: Oh, i should have known that was Johnksss,s new top score. Hahaha Gratz on the new Record Johnksss!! :chuncky:

Nice, well done Mr. Fox, Damn, the 780,s have gone way past me total, i have to upgrade.. LOL

Edit: Oh, i should have known that was Johnksss,s new top score. Hahaha Gratz on the new Record Johnksss!! :chuncky:

Great score [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION]!! That CPU score is awesome :)

Damn, the 780,s have gone way past me total, i have to upgrade..

First of all we want to see some Vantage from your machine :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Great score @Mr. Fox!! That CPU score is awesome :)

Thanks! And, I agree... would be nice to see some Vantage action from that P570WM | 3930k setup.

Thanks!

Still waiting for you to get around to pushing a little harder. :)

I think you can hit 16k with your machine and 680m's.

Yeah, i would like to push the 680m,s and the CPU further before i would go the 780m,s. Just dunno how to go about running it further under cold!! I am at its limits due to temps currently for normal ambient room temp and i live in Australia QLD where its mostly always hot weather and its around 25 + degrees C in the room, never less. :( Any ideas ? A portable A/C unit with the vents up the top ? lol

Hahaha Ssshhhh, Can you run vantage on Windows 7 64 bit ?? lol

Yeah, i would like to push the 680m,s and the CPU further before i would go the 780m,s. Just dunno how to go about running it further under cold!! I am at its limits due to temps currently for normal ambient room temp and i live in Australia QLD where its mostly always hot weather and its around 25 + degrees C in the room, never less. :( Any ideas ? A portable A/C unit with the vents up the top ? lol

Yes! Exactly... No more excuses, buddy... cool the laptop, AC adapter and everything. Closet benching at its best.

Not to mention your room is more comfortable for those extended gaming sessions on those hot summer nights. :Banane36: