OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

Hey guys got some cool infos and more progress on overclocking my ram... but my project has been put on hold due to my 580m's causing shorts in my system. So i am not going to post the bulk of my findings yet... as I have not finished and was interrupted by my video card mess.

So here is 35 hours passed error free in memtest86+ version 4.2 newest. The ram is set at 1.55v via bios and 2133 via bios... I even got XMP to work correctly at 2133 now.

Get this though I got them stable at 2133mhz on CL9-10-10-25 :) that's right eat your heart out Kingston :P

post-34-14494993217622_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Great job digitalfubar I see you got the drivers all set now congrats. Those are awesome gpu scores and you broke 10k 3dmark11 that's epic. So was John able to assist in get a driver stable? How stable are they now. The driver version is in the posted scores 8.9etc

Was all you need a added line to the .inf file before installing driver?

Fubar, are those dell cards? If so how did you get your hands on them? I've tried from dell but they are back ordered.

yes those are Dell cards but the drivers are not fully working as of yet 100%... so this and maybe supply is low right now... but yes those are Dell see here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1736-amd-7970m-modified-vbios.html#post21542

Dell is probably not going to have them available like that for a little longer... Digital Fubar got granted a pair in a special circumstance. Most likely as soon as AMD releases a generic driver for the mobile 7000 series the Dell cards should be for sale... I spoke with a tech working in the labs with that card so they do have them but I guess aren't quite ready to sell them or issue any more till better driver is released soon.

post-34-14494993234104_thumb.png

my discrete cards that are broken are out of my system till I have a resolution from Alienware... waiting on word from a tech. I went back to my ram project and decided to game on IGP. Previous testing rendered IGP useless at 2133mhz ram as its dependent on ram speed and even long to short term windows usage with a full dual channel set in use. My 1866 Corsair Vengeance gave me trouble too and they are stock right now. So since the discrete cards have been out for a few... i am no longer having issues throw my results. Previous I seemed to have issue using IGP and ram set to anything but auto...(1.5v) and now its working fine on increased volts. So I tested the corsair and they are now stable on IGP. i tested my Samsung chips at 2133mhz 13-13-13 timings... and they ran fine on 1.5v but long term wasn't stable. So I tried again with the increased volts and the previous corruption i got before didn't reoccur. So I set 1.55v as I needed and confirmed with memtest above... and the 2133 at 13-13-13 was running stable in windows :) I then loaded my tightest timings that i came up with and they are running stable in wndows on IGP at 2133mhz ram 9-10-10-26 timings with 1.55v :) I will post a WINSAT mem comparison and some more info tommorow. Been gaming for a few hours on IGP and no probs :) Been running Dirt 3 but am going to try a stronger one like the witcher 2.... i'll see if the is a FPS difference. Notice the GPU bandwith... its usually about 15-16gb for average ram at 1067-1600mhz the 35gb is from it being 2133mhz ram

so my system has been fully stable like this in windows now. i'll run my system like this for atleast a month and I may leave it permanently but wither way i'll report back on how the system has handled it.

Edited by mw86

yes those are Dell cards but the drivers are not fully working as of yet 100%... so this and maybe supply is low right now... but yes those are Dell see here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1736-amd-7970m-modified-vbios.html#post21542

Dell is probably not going to have them available like that for a little longer... Digital Fubar got granted a pair in a special circumstance. Most likely as soon as AMD releases a generic driver for the mobile 7000 series the Dell cards should be for sale... I spoke with a tech working in the labs with that card so they do have them but I guess aren't quite ready to sell them or issue any more till better driver is released soon.

Thanks for the info. I hope they release some soon. All this talk of the 7970's is making me real anxious. :)

Yeah Postal I am stoked and excited too. Reconfirmed with my rep... as soon as WHQL is released I am getting a pair of 7970m to replace my 580m's :) "Does the happy dance" he offered to send me 1 for now and run on beta drivers but in crossfire on the beta drivers there have still been issues. So I decided to just do everything at once. I'll keep us posted... It would be no problem at all.

This is going to be a long ten days or so till dell and eurocom start releasing these 7970m's to install in my m18xr1. Still torn if I should get the eurocom(clevo) cards or the dell cards. Dell still can't give me a confirmed price. Any suggestion's gents???

This is going to be a long ten days or so till dell and eurocom start releasing these 7970m's to install in my m18xr1. Still torn if I should get the eurocom(clevo) cards or the dell cards. Dell still can't give me a confirmed price. Any suggestion's gents???

well your cards would be warranted by Dell if you go through them :) I would suggest the dell cards but thats just my humble opinion. I am waiting on drivers too hope WHQL come fast from AMD.

Guys check this out 31.6gb bandwidth on Winsat MEM (windows assesment tool) on laptop ram :o

this isn't the bulk of my work or anything but here is my 2133mhz 8gb dual channe DDR3 So-dimm fully stable and usable in windows and on IGP for that matter so I know its really stable as the gpu uses the system ram exclusively for its VRAM :)

Been playing some Dirt3 and Diablo 3 on it:)

3.5ghz 2960XM @ 1.55v 2133mhz ram 9-10-10-25

post-34-14494993243093_thumb.png

4.5ghz 2960XM @ 1.55v 2133mhz ram 9-10-10-25

post-34-14494993243829_thumb.png

IBT 4.3ghz

post-34-14494993244551_thumb.png

Edited by mw86

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

wow..... just WOW.....

That's some awesome work there, especially given you don't have an XM processor! I gotta get my hands on a couple of these next gen GPUs, especially now that AMD are clearly fixing the drivers for 7970 CF-X.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahh, indeed - I see the 55w giveaway now.

My 2920xm ES reports as some seemingly random series of numbers, certainly not as a different intel CPU.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's still an amazing score...

(oh, and when the very first 7970 hit, I was predicting high 12k 3dm11P for CF-X, glad to know I've learned SOMETHING) :77:

• Thumbs Up 1