Gaming Performances & Behaviours

w4vz

I've investigated it in good detail with utilities like task manager and Precision X, the only reason i'm asking here is because I am running out of explanations as to what it could be.

- Power target is not maxed, I keep an eye on it with the graphing tool in precision X and it hovers around 80%

- Temperature is not high at all, around 50 degrees usually when the crash occurs

- Not quite sure what you mean by is the clock speed stable but it seems to stay on 100% most of the time

- VRAM does often reach 2gb as I mentioned but even after I close the game and the VRAM is cleared the system doesn't recover

- No antivirus scanner active

- I have 16gb of RAM and the system only uses about 5gb of that. Again I keep a close eye on it in task manager

- CPU usage never gets even close to full

- Not a HDD problem as I have elite on an SSD and HDD and they both experience the problem

- GPU temperature is low at around 50 degrees under stress so I don't think thats it either.

- Drivers are fully up to date. I have checked if installing an earlier driver fixes the problem and it doesn't.

As you say, it is strange that problems persist after I quit the game.

Any other ideas?

If you really have the same problems in OSX it must be hardware issue.

Can you check if the 120W PSU is suddenly dropping in power consumption? Is the PSU very hot?

can you test other games?

I suspect you are right and it is some kind of hardware limitation.

The only way I know of monitoring the PSU's consumption is through the Precision X tool. When I look at that it's using about 80% of power in game. Not sure how to directly monitor the PSU.

It isn't very hot to touch so I don't think thats the problem. If it was the power supply getting hot you would think the system would recover after idling for a while but it doesnt.

I can check other games but I think it will still happen with them if it already happens with two (Elite dangerous and Mad Max)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 mbpr so also on tb1 with gtx 970 and never had this issue. It definetely sounds like a hardware problem.

Make sure that the molex and pcie connectors are very well plugged and tight. A month ago i began having crashes and it turned out to be one of the pcie connector being a bit loose. I reckon that with heat the connectors can expand and sometime move themselves but this is speculation. Also make sure your cables are good one: either very thick or multiple thin ones for each 12v line. Worth checking definitely. On my first eGpu try my molex cable melted: it was a single thin wire.

Also last week i installed windows 10 because i absolutely wanted to try star citizen and GPUz to monitor the thunderbolt bus and to my surprise it never got more than 30% full while playing star citizen. Haven't tried elite yet but im assuming that will be the same for now. So im baffled when we talk about thunderbolt bottleneck because in my case on TB1 i have plenty of headroom.

• 1 month later...

Installed my egpu (PE4L 3.0 I think)  , got it working (6970) but some games are slower with it than my onboard gpu (GT650M) . I ran 3dmark and scored 2k more than my onboard gpu, all good there.

I ran Space engineers and got 5-10 less FPS. Same with battlefront. I disabled the nvidia gpu in my device manager and the entire system slowed down, browsing the web ect all slowed down with the 650m disabled. Another strange thing is when I disabled it my laptop screen still worked.( it did flash after it was disabled, but still worked)

Any Ideas? I didn't want to remove the nvidia drivers entirely because I still carry my laptop to school with me.  Laptop is a lenovo y500 with an i5 3230m

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using a y510p:

i7-4700MQ

8gb of ram

Windows 8.1

Bplus PE4C v3.0 adapter mPCIe

MSI gtx 970 graphics card

Evga 5000 psu

Everything works but in most games I can't reach more than 48.9fps, e.g. Bf3, bioshock and many others. I tried lowering the graphic details in all of them the maximum fps is the same 48-49fps but the only thing that works is lowering the screen resolution to lowest.

I'm using the internal laptop screen, I know I should get lower performance but fps shouldn't be limited to 48?

I've tried but non helped :

Installing different drivers.

Overcloking gpu and couldn't.

Changing nvidia global settings, like vsync, etc..

Help please!

2 hours ago, Bndka said:

Hello,

I buy the setup 1.30. It works with my Lenovo W540, and GTX460 eGPU, with windows 10. My laptop has a quadro k1100m, and the extended display setting is working too. Thanks for this program.

I have one problem. When i play CS:GO the fps is so good (over 200), but the game is laggy so much. Do anyone has a suggestion?

I'm having some random performance issues with my setup as well that I cannot track down:

Late 2013 iMac

1TB SSD

24GB DDR3

775m

GTX 970(in Akitio2 + external  case + powered riser + 90 degree adapter + 600w OCZ)

In Windows 10 in particular, I feel like I'm not getting the performance I should be getting.  In some instances, my 775m outperforms the 970.  I know that Thunderbolt 1 can be a bottleneck, but it shouldn't be this much of a bottleneck I would assume?

For example, in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, I get a rock solid 60fps on my 775m on ultra, 1080p.  When I use the 970, I get anywhere from 40fps -> 60fps, but with lots of stuttering.  It happens in other games too, and I'm not sure what the issue is.  Some games perform better on the 970, but not by much.  Additionally, my 3dmark scores are higher on the 970, but not where they should be in my opinion.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the newest drivers, and the card is overclocked as well.

Thoughts?

Some people reported they got lucky with the latest driver in Windows 10. Maybe you will have to disable the dGPU first.

Nevertheless... can you monitor the GPU stats during gaming liek with GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. Would be interessting if your GPU hits any limit or can't reach full load.

4 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Some people reported they got lucky with the latest driver in Windows 10. Maybe you will have to disable the dGPU first.

Nevertheless... can you monitor the GPU stats during gaming liek with GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. Would be interessting if your GPU hits any limit or can't reach full load.

Sure, I'll dig into it more when I get a chance and post my results.  According to the Afterburner OSD during gameplay, it looks like the 970 is reaching 90-100% though, and the fan definitely gets loud.

So I had a chance to mess around with things last night for a bit.  I completely disassembled the case and plugged the 970 directly into the Akitio.  There was no change.  I also disabled any audio or extra resources on the card, no change.  I even disconnected my other Thunderbolt SSD attached to it.. and there was no change.

After that, I reinstalled the newest drivers, rebooted my system and downclocked my card a bit.  After doing that, I'm getting SIGNIFICANTLY better performance.  Basically, at this point, I'm getting the performance I expect out of this card on TB1.  

I'm not sure which it was - the card being too overclocked causing issues, or new drivers.  Either way, I'm happy with this setup now.

• 5 months later...

Hi, everyone. I just setup msi ge60 0nc egpu with exp gdc v8 and asus NVidia gtx 970 mini. These are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM

Graphics: dGPU=GT650m, eGPU=Asus GTX 970 mini

Ram: 8 GB DDR3

PSU: Xigmatech 500W

Adapter: EXP GDC v8

First of all, I had an 300w psu and I thought that it is enough for egpu cuz in the website minimum req. of gpu says 145W. Afterward of course it didn't work properly. I bought new psu so it worked. I use setup 1.30 for disabling dgpu. I didn't get any error, too.

However, I have a problem. When I play latest games like witcher 3, shadow of mordor I don't get more than 30 fps on ultra in 1080p. The awkward thing is that I don't get 30+ fps on low settings,too. In addition, I get 60 frames only on 720p of all games. It doesn't make sense to me. Is there anyone who had this problem before ?

Edited by hamisah

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

I finally made my EGPU Setup to run on my Medion laptop using Setup 1.30.

However I am very disappointed regarding its performance. While 3dmark11 will give roughly double score as opposed to my dGPU (650m), using it for gaming is an absolute nightmare. Even at lowest Detail and resolution as low as 640x480 it will randomly stutter every ~2 seconds although outputting way above 40 fps. Other programs such as microsofts flight simulator will even run at only 10FPS max and distort the sound output. 

Did any of you experience similiar problems?

Specs:

Medion P6816

i7-2670QM

8gb Ram

GDC Beast v8.4

Gainward GTX 750 TI 2gb running in 1.2Opt

65 watts 12V PSU through 12V DC jack

regards

Frank

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.