Gaming Performances & Behaviours

w4vz

Can you please make the GPU-Z after some minutes of playing your Truck game, than move inside the graphs to a point of gaming and load and make a screenshot of that.

Are you playing on the internal display? What are your graphics settings?

guys would you recommend notebook with intel hd + amd graphics card ? (with ext display)

i dont want to buy nvidia because they ruined drivers...

anyone using intel mobile cpu with amd egpu ? please post here :)

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Did someone try to actually play games that need some power? I tried 3 games: Europa Universalis IV, Cities: Skylines and Insurgency. All games run with way less FPS than on Windows and Insurgency just kept crashing. Where FPS were around or stable 60 FPS I get down to 20(EU IV) + stuttering when scrolling or ~30-45 FPS for Cities and Insurgency. This is rather sad and this way the eGPU on OS X is only nice to use the external display without plugging cables in and out or if you'd use it for GPGPU which I don't do.

Would nice to read some other experiences regarding OS X. Maybe there is something wrong configured or anything. I'm using goalques script.

@Morv It confirms than game optimisation is way better in windows than OS X.

My experience with Elite is that when it got released I got between 20-30 FPS then after a few patches it got up round 25-45 fps so there is a lot to do with the developer too. Many of them do a simple port using tools like unity or similar so the optimisation is never very good.

Also to note than in my case; using TB1 I have a huge bottleneck.

The other thing is the lack of proper great 3d API for mac like directX for windows; OS X is still using OpenGL mainly which was never made for mac either as far as I know. With the release of Metal in El Capitan we might see this change for the better but right now if you want best performances either the developer need to do better mac versions or stick to windows. Still 40fps is quite good I think; at least for me.

@w4vz: Ye, I looked into the folder of Europa Universalis IV and saw DLL files...seems they use some kind of wrapper which doesn't work too good. If I use the Iris Pro though, I've got no stuttering but of course even less fps with the same settings. Cities uses an adapted version of Unity. Insurgency is using Source Engine. Unity and Source Engine are available for OS X longer times, if I'm not wrong even longer than on Linux. Thus I'm wondering about the performance.

League of Legends is also not as stable regarding FPS with maxed out settings. On Windows it's super smooth and all but on OS X it's rather bad with FPS drops.

It's not really that important to me that I can game on OS X but I'm gaming pretty much and while doing this I'm "stuck" in Windows.

It's not really that important to me that I can game on OS X but I'm gaming pretty much and while doing this I'm "stuck" in Windows.

I feel that, myself I'd rather take the FPS drop that install windows on my mac. Also I only game casually so that helps.

my devices :

Asus N56VZ

• i7 3630qm processor
  • 8GB 1600 mhz ram
  • Palit GTX 960 Super Jetstream
  • EXP GDC Beast ( wifi slot )
  • Laptop monitor ( i dont want to use external monitor )

I got around 40 FPS with high quality in GTA V . And 3x FPS with high quality Far cry 4 . Is it normal or i need to do something with DIY 1.x ?

my devices :

Asus N56VZ

• i7 3630qm processor
  • 8GB 1600 mhz ram
  • Palit GTX 960 Super Jetstream
  • EXP GDC Beast ( wifi slot )
  • Laptop monitor ( i dont want to use external monitor )

I got around 40 FPS with high quality in GTA V . And 3x FPS with high quality Far cry 4 . Is it normal or i need to do something with DIY 1.x or because im using internal monitor ?

somebody help me pls ? thanks

somebody help me pls ? thanks

Sounds normal for what you've got if you play in Full HD.

Check if you've got a x1.2 or x1.1 connection in Setup 1.x. If you've already got x1.2 you can't do anything anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey everyone.

I has an awkward moment when playing arkham city.

I just get drop fps (about 12FPS) that appeared in cut-scene. But in-game, it's recorded 30 fps that I can beat all villain's batman at reso 1080p ultra settings.

But, when I run batman:AC without myEGPU using HD4000, there are no drop fps in cut-scene. I recorded 30FPS continuously (in-game and cut-scene) at 768p and set all lowest setting.

Moreover, I get drop fps too in dota2 menu.

Maybe, umm. any idea to solve this ?

- - - Updated - - -

My spec :

i5 3320M 2,6GHz

2x4 GB 1600Mhz

Win 8.1 x64

Bios A14 (newest)

EXP GDC v.6

MSi GTX 750TI OC version

Toshiba TV 1920x1080@60Hz

Hi Guys,

I have problem with playing "Euro Truck Simulator 2". In this game i am getting very low performance. I tried low graphic settings and high settings but there is not any difference between these settings. This game is not playable.

I have the same Problem as you in ETS2. In the menu FPS are good at ~40 and then I start driving the highest number I´ve seen was around 18 FPS. Didn´t find a solution so far.

I would recommend experiencing with older drivers if you can sometime that can make a big difference. Personally I run an old driver on OS X I found 346.01.02f03 to give me the best stability and performances improved as the game got patched, no driver change so far.

Too busy times to take the risk updating to 10.10.4 yet but I'll keep posted If I see any performance/stability change.

When i use an external monitor, I get 80-100fps in GTA V. On the internal monitor I get about 30. Is this typical, or am I setup incorrectly? I did a clean install of windows and the problem persists.

EDIT: I feel like my problem is something with optimus, but not sure where to start. Get decent 3DMark scores.

Computer: Lenovo Y510P

Processor: Intel core i7 4700MQ (2.4ghz, oced to 3.6)

igpu: intel hd graphics 4600

egpu: MSI Gaming GTX 970 (PE4C v2.1a)

ram: 16gb DDR3

• 2 weeks later...

I am very curious about the gaming performances of Macbook air with eGPU. I didn't see so many threads about macbook air and most of the threads didn't talk about the actual gaming performance(lots about benchmark scores).

Sicne I want to build a eGPU( like GTX970) for my Macbook air(2014,TB1, i5-4260u,4G ram), I am worried about the poor cpu and ram would have terrible performances like unstable while playing or extremely low FPS.

Anyone have macbook air wants to talk about that?

I am very curious about the gaming performances of Macbook air with eGPU. I didn't see so many threads about macbook air and most of the threads didn't talk about the actual gaming performance(lots about benchmark scores).

Sicne I want to build a eGPU( like GTX970) for my Macbook air(2014,TB1, i5-4260u,4G ram), I am worried about the poor cpu and ram would have terrible performances like unstable while playing or extremely low FPS.

Anyone have macbook air wants to talk about that?

I have the same 2014 MBA as you and can do some testing. I've been using the eGPU with my iMac during gaming (and so far mostly only on Batman AK, which is limited already as it is). Will do some testing and report back.

I5 is perfectly fine for almost any game as long as you don't do too much multitasking. Your weak link would be the tb1 connection but this also depends of the game so no way to know before. Some game are more bandwith hungry than others but in my experience with wow, blizzard seem to do good mac versions.

I wish you could test Heros of the Storm,which is literally the only game I am playing. The 95% percent of the reasons to build a eGPU is to play it with ultra 1080p.

HotS is easy on the hardware. 1080p is no problem! I can even use my setup to play in Retina resolution on the MBPr itself (of course not max details).

But yours is Macbook pro with i7 and 16 Gb Ram, significantly more powerful than mine. The i5 processor on my macbook air is even weaker than the normal i5. I do not expect mine would work as well as yours( and you have a super nice cooler system)

Well maybe @martinm0 's report is what I need.

Still… HotS is not really demanding. The overall load on my system in 1080p with a 60fps frame rate lock is really low. By that I would assume that a MBA with a GTX 960 is enough for HotS!

No need for a fancy quad core CPU for that game ;)

On my pc i used to play elite dangerous at max settings with an I3 and gtx 970. Now i am on a macbook pro with I7+gtx970+tb1 and cannot reach max settings even if my cpu load do not reach more than 30%. So perf in the case of this game is limited by 1) TB1 and 2) has much to do with the Mac optimisation version of the game, not much the hardware as long as you have something decent like your setup.

On my pc i used to play elite dangerous at max settings with an I3 and gtx 970. Now i am on a macbook pro with I7+gtx970+tb1 and cannot reach max settings even if my cpu load do not reach more than 30%. So perf in the case of this game is limited by 1) TB1 and 2) has much to do with the Mac optimisation version of the game, not much the hardware as long as you have something decent like your setup.

I believe it's the second one.

I don't think GTX970 is limited by TB1. TB1 is just enough for GTX970.

I believe it's the second one.

I don't think GTX970 is limited by TB1. TB1 is just enough for GTX970.

It has nothing to do with the GTX; it has to do with the game itself because TB1 is a bottleneck if the game requires a lot of texture transfer for example.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.