Alienware, still overpriced?

hangman33

Hi, guys! Before I recently bought my new laptop, I've heard a lot of people say that Alienware was perhaps the most overpriced laptop brand on the market. However, the Alienware 15 I bought which included an i7-4710HQ processor and a gtx970m graphics card costed almost the same, if not slightly cheaper, than the other laptops in the market. The only other laptop brand which I considered to be really cheaper but offered the same performance was Clevo, especially the Clevo P650SG (Although I still chose Alienware because I like the overall design that comes with their products as well them having better customer support in my country). So why do people still choose to hate on Alienware?

Still loving my AW17 Ranger Hangman33; I have recently done some upgrades but will sadly 'move on' from AW when it's time to change machines; the reason for this is the move towards 'consumer' rather than 'enthusiast' buyers which is apparent with the recent 2015 models which are far less upgradeable than the Ranger.

I'm in the UK and had a HORRIBLE customer support experience which was resolved only when it was escalated to the President of Dell EMEA; the outcome was more than satisfactory and I love the aesthetics of the AW range, however, the likely future for me will most likely be a plainer, chunkier Clevo - simply because part of the experience for me is upgrading, tuning, improving my machine - which seems now to be a thing of the past with AW, which is really sad.

I completely get where you're coming from. I have friends who still use their old AW 17 or 18 and are still having a lot of fun with them mainly because of their upgradeability. I just hope that most, if not all, laptop brands regain their senses and also think about what's best for their customers and stop the trend of soldered CPUs and GPUs. Still hoping that Clevo would continue to produce upgradeable laptops so at least people would have a decent alternative.

Alienware's desktops are HEAVILY overpriced. If you were to research the exact same parts in an alienware desktop online, you could shave off 20% of the cost (probably); however, their laptops imho are not overpriced as it is nearly impossible to create a custom laptop and finding the parts alone for a custom laptop is expensive.

• 3 months later...

Alienwares are awesome, the older ones that start with M (M15, m17, m18) have an MXM slot which allows you to upgrade the GPU and you can also upgrade the CPU. Then you've got the looks.. Those sweet ass grills at the front.. Rubberised texture on your palms, yes its expensive and yes you can get the same performance for probably less.. But I like the looks to match the performance and for me they go well together.

Also its not why I buy it buy the customisation of lights is so great, at night it just looks amazing. With the new Razer Chroma you can also have an awesome light setup to match the current.

So yeah. If you don't like the looks, don't care about upgrading (not apply to all laptops) and like the big heatsinks it uses then of course its money going to waste and therefore you have the "other side" so to speak

I dont know as if I would get another Alien, I have recently been looking into other brands. As I am off to sea for 3 months tomorrow this is a search to continue in the new year. My advice to friends hoowever has been to go for a cheaper brand.