Can laptop coolers/cooling pads really help, especially in overclocking?

Hi, guys! I've recently bought a new laptop (Alienware 15) that's gonna come in maybe a week from now. It's loaded with a gtx 970m. However, I'm also planning on overclocking this bad boy to bring out the performance from it. I know for a fact that laptop cooling pads can in fact decrease a laptop's CPU and GPU temps. With that in mind, do you think getting a high quality cooling pad can help me overclock more? Thanks!

I've read that it really depends on the arrangement of the grates on the bottom of the laptop. I know that putting one under your laptop can increase the air flow to the bottom grates which does help but for me (G751) the extra airflow from the fans doesn't translate into extra air throughput through the cooling system of the laptop and my temperatures maybe go down 1C if I am lucky. I use the cooling pad I bought just to add extra space under the laptop and make it a bit higher up on whatever surface I used. I also read that extra space under the laptop can help it keep the cooling system cleaner as less dust is sucked up.

Basically, you need to read if a specific cooler helps your specific laptop.

Yes, definitely. I use one on my MSI GT60 2QD and it makes a good 5-6c difference. Get one with fans that are placeable and not stationary. Those work best, I have my laptop cooler fans blowing directly into the vents under my laptop. Works very well.

I use a Cooler Master Notepal U3+ on my Clevo p150EM. It works if you directly place the cooler fans directly on the laptop fan. The after effect is a dusty system. So I recommend cleaning the system every 3-4 months. In my system, the temp decreases of up to 20c.

I highly recommend my cooler. Its model name is nc2000. Zalman product. Full aluminium surface. It is decreasing heat more than 10 degree for a long run.

Use the NC2000 and NC3000U i think was the model for few years and been very happy :)

From my experience, with larger laptops with big internal fans the main benefit of a cooling pad is that it elevates the laptop so that the internal fans can suck air in better. If you have one and saw a major cooling drop, I feel you would see basically the same temperature drop by elevating your laptop.

With smaller laptops with small internal fans, a cooling pad's fan could end up forcing more air through the laptop's fan, and yield a benefit greater than just elevating the laptop.

To cool a 970m the m15 is going to have a pretty big internal fan, which a cooling pad fan likely will not be able to force more air into, so I suggest just raising the laptop for the same effect as a cooling pad fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

I modded my Coolermaster U3 and added a couple big fans (with fairly high flow and air pressure). I then also put some insulation round the fans so that the air goes through to the laptop rather than escape round the edges. It brought down the temperatures quite a bit - quite worthwhile.

it work for me but not much.. has anyone tried those cooling induction things that fit over the vent? supposedly works by force feeding cool air and extracting the warm air.. anyone had success with them? i'm looking to buy one.

I have a P150HM and use the coolermaster U2 with an extra set of fans (4 total). After modding my case and adding some extra copper heatsinks like this guy: http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/1924-p150hm-gtx680m-yes-we-can-4.html#post31527, 10 C drops in temp... Alas, that was with my old 6990M that I had to keep baking to keep alive, I finally had enough and just upgraded to the 680m!