VR (Oculus, Vive & co.) Will you buy it?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a DK2, and I must say the experience is very interesting. It lakes inputs, but commercial version should have ones.

From my point of view, there will be big productions producing unbelievable experiences, mostly based on immersion, and indies productions trying to make use of these new inputs.

Techs like hololens etc have fare more potential than oculus Rift

• 1 month later...
  • Founder
2 hours ago, huubs said:

The price backed me off. I'll keep my eyes on the HTC Vive for now, I hope HL3 will be shipped alongside with it. Honestly I just want the Oculus to fail after Facebook bought it.

The problem with any of these VR headsets is that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. By that I mean if they make a cheap headset, people will complain that it's low quality and it will kill any and all interest in VR. By pricing it $500+ they accepted the fact it's expensive but also provide a quality headset but people complain it's too expensive. Right now, given how new the technology is there isn't much middle ground. Personally I think VR has no future anyway and it is based on pure hype like 3D glasses were a few years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to VR (Oculus, Vive & co.) Will you buy it?
  • 2 weeks later...

Not for me, I would not play any strategy or fps game on it. Besides horror games VR seems just too much of a hassle for the money. No real use in my opinion besides horror games. I see it being further developed for drone owners or something among those lines, but then again I would prefer it on a screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely. Unfortunately it's really hard to sell unless you see it yourself (I know, everyone says that)

It really adds a lot to the game if it's done properly, especially social gaming. I currently dev for VR and my team has had a blast watching each other play and competing. It also adds a whole new layer of asymmetrical gameplay.

Is it what we truly want in VR (1:1 tracking over endless expanses ala SAO)? No. But it's an awesome step forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on purchasing a HMD sometime around Dec 2016 - Jan 2017, as I feel by then the benchmarks and the software will be ripe enough to form an informed decision.

Untill then I can't decide which one to get, as I originally wanted to get the Rift, but after the Vive was announced it seemed like the better option. I still haven't decided which one, but I plan to get a HMD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got a Vive and got it on release, for about $943 including shipping and taxes. At the moment there are a lot of bugs and the majority of the games available still more resemble tech demos rather than fully-fledged games. Right now I believe that the hardware is more or less there, but the software available to it (bugfixes and games available) just needs to catch up.

15 hours ago, で.chau said:

I've got a Vive and got it on release, for about $943 including shipping and taxes. At the moment there are a lot of bugs and the majority of the games available still more resemble tech demos rather than fully-fledged games. Right now I believe that the hardware is more or less there, but the software available to it (bugfixes and games available) just needs to catch up.

Is your display feels grainy or pixely in-game? What about the text readability? I never tried current-gen VR, but used Samsung gear VR with galaxy s7 edge, the phone display was noticeably grainy, but it got a little better on galaxy s8. 

I'm thinking about waiting for the next generation of VR - then it probably will be lighter and more comfortable, maybe less cords, and there would be a bigger selection of full-fledged games. But I'm not even sure I could play those, feeling dizzy after 20 minutes in gear vr. Maybe those short "tech demos" are a better format for me after all..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally own an Oculus, (paid 520$ CAD for it off of amazon, came with 2 sensors and the touch controllers) and honestly i really enjoy it. without the touch controllers it a novelty, with them its really fun. But as some people said, the pixel density isnt high enough, but you dont notice it that much when playing alot of the oculus touch games at all, because of how immersed you become. :)

• 3 months later...