[M17x R4] Downgrading VGA From HD7970 to Gtx 260m

Hi recently my graphic card AMD HD7970m got video ram problem ( even checked into the dell test program when you boot the system ) and i found on ebay another video card MXM 3.0b, a GTX 260m with dell bios ( maybe from a m15x or even m17x ). After i mounted the 260m my bios recognize as Nvidia GTX, so i booted into windows and it says Standard VGA. i download GPUZ and it's an 260m, just to be sure. Here comes the problem every driver i tried it didn't work. i even tried to mod .inf files from the lastes driver but it does not work.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618&SUBSYS_05511028

anyone can help me?

UPDATE: i tried to use LaptopVideo2Go: NVIDIA & Laptop News .inf modification and finally it recognize inside windows as GTX260m and i can open the nvidia pannel but there's only the power option.... i tried to use the hotkeys FN+F7 to activate only the Dedicated card but the pc won't boot and it beeps 8 times, that means no video card detected....

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm having exactly same issue. Got a dead GTX 675m in my M17x R4 so trying to install a GTX 260m. Card showing in device manager and I'm using drivers from LaptopVideo2Go all installed but like you when use the hotkeys to enable I get the 8 beeps and have to pull the cmoas battery to reset. So far i've tried:

• Revert Bios back from A12 to A11
  • Install the unlocked A11 bios
  • Video Configuration -> disable onboard intel
  • Video Configuration -> set primary display to PEG
  • Video Configuration -> Pci Express Graphics -> Always Enable PEG
  • Save and reboot - still get the 8x beeps

Hopefully someone here can chime in, my guess would be the vbios on the 260m is too old?

Jon

• 5 months later...

hi back again same story....suddenly i decided to buy another video card, a 780m and now checking on eurocom it says "need a12 unlocked bios"... i have the stock a12 installed atm...it really needed to run the card?or i can stay with the stock a12?