2012 15" MBP GT650M + GTX970@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [computersaysno]

System

mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina with the Nvidia 650m dGPU

i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz quad-core CPU

16GB RAM

768GB SSD

Win 8.1 MBR/bootcamp installation

eGPU gear

EVGA NVidia 970 FTW

AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure

EVGA 500W ATX PSU

eGPU Setup 1.20 software

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9802-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10tp-%5Biregret%5D.html , @iregret. Hey not as good as yours, but not bad for Thunderbolt 1 :-)

3dmark11.GPU=10619

post-35001-14494999960427_thumb.jpg

I can run Fire Strike without a problem, maybe it was just the first test that doesn't jive with my system for some strange reason....

Got tired of messing with my bulky Cooler Master 130 and opened my Akitio case like you guys suggested. I took everything out & used a little black spray paint to clean it up a little. Pretty pleased with the results.

Now to find a good compact modular power supply....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14881[/ATTACH]

Hey not as good as yours, but not bad for Thunderbolt 1 :-)NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,Apple Inc. Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F[ATTACH=CONFIG]14794[/ATTACH]I can run Fire Strike without a problem, maybe it was just the first test that doesn't jive with my system for some strange reason....
Not as good as mine, but it's pretty damn close! This makes me think the difference between tb1 and tb2 isn't as critical as I had thought. Also, I've got descent fire strike scores but I haven't tried gaming for hours to test stability. I'm hoping that someone will chime in and make sure I've got the clock settings correct in throttlestop. One other thing, I also use a program called macsfancontrol to control the fans manually. I'm still tweaking it, but essentially, I have the fans ramp up sooner and more aggressively. How are you running the MacBook closed in Windows without it shutting off? Where's that setting at?

It's here in control panel, power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings

post-35001-14494999962219_thumb.png

Although I'm not really sure it's making much of a difference. My Fire Strike score was basically the same (slightly higher by a few points) with the lid closed upside down. But I THINK it's been helping my in-game performance in GTA V. Who knows. I may be being ridiculous...

Anyway, great pointers, thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Changing the Intel Power balance doesn't disable the dGPU. It's more like disabling the iGPU.

That gives performance preference to the CPU over the iGPU, since they both sit on the same processor die with both a temperature and TDP threshold.

I set mine to 31 and 1 as sometimes a value of 0 means "all".

Interesting....

With an MBR Boot Camp installation, the integrated Intel graphics drivers aren't installed at all (unless I'm mistaken). Intel Graphics do not display in my "Display adapters" section of Device Manager.

So if my Intel Graphics driver isn't installed, are these ThrottleStop settings really doing anything for me? Maybe a placebo effect ;-) ?

post-35001-14495000031704_thumb.jpg

Got tired of messing with my bulky Cooler Master 130 and opened my Akitio case like you guys suggested. I took everything out & used a little black spray paint to clean it up a little. Pretty pleased with the results.

I want one, but I am completely inexperienced with soldering :-/

Any noob-friendly suggestions that don't require soldering?

@w4vz showed up how to use a DA-2 by using 2xPCIe splitters and a split pin to jumper the DA-2 to start it : http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion-4.html#post132979

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
I want one, but I am completely inexperienced with soldering :-/

Any noob-friendly suggestions that don't require soldering?

Hi Hi!!

How did the installation?

I have the same (Mac+970+eGPU Setup 1.20) and no have external video signal, the monitor is not recognized, there is never a video signal.

What configuration use in the eGPU Setup 1.20?

Thanx for your help.

Hi Hi!!

How did the installation?

I have the same (Mac+970+eGPU Setup 1.20) and no have external video signal, the monitor is not recognized, there is never a video signal.

What configuration use in the eGPU Setup 1.20?

Thanx for your help.

Setup 1.20 will resolve your error 12. If your GTX970 is still not working, then proceed to uninstall ALL NVidia drivers, download and apply DDU software to remove all NVidia references from your registry, then install the latest NVidia desktop driver. Reboot and test your eGPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man I'm trying to do the same exact thing; same model macbook with a gtx 970. Is there any guide for this model macbook to set up eGPU? This is gonna be my first eGPU setup. I ordered all the parts but I still really don't know what I'm supposed to do in terms of software.

Hey man I'm trying to do the same exact thing; same model macbook with a gtx 970. Is there any guide for this model macbook to set up eGPU? This is gonna be my first eGPU setup. I ordered all the parts but I still really don't know what I'm supposed to do in terms of software.

Same same and same. I have the GT650M MBP, I've ordered all my parts including a GTX970 and I am not really sure what to do software-wise.

I have a couple questions. Is the egpu software a must and can you run on the internal display?

Check out the updated info I just added to the this thread:[GUIDE] Enabling eGPU display output in Yosemite

Edit: Might have been too hasty with that link. I assumed you were struggling with output in OS X.

As for working in Windows, I only had to install the drivers and boot up with the card connected and powered on. Didn't have much trouble at all getting it working in Windows compared to OS X.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm being daft but does your set up file work/resolve problems with bootcamp installed windows? I've read up on bios/EFI installs and it's way over my head.

I plan to do a fresh bootcamp instal of 8.1 for my egpu.

Many helps for a total noob much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
System

mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina with the Nvidia 650m dGPU

i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz quad-core CPU

16GB RAM

768GB SSD

Win 8.1 MBR/bootcamp installation

eGPU gear

EVGA NVidia 970 FTW

AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure

EVGA 500W ATX PSU

eGPU Setup 1.20 software

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9802-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10tp-%5Biregret%5D.html , @iregret. Hey not as good as yours, but not bad for Thunderbolt 1 :-)

3dmark11.GPU=10619

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14794[/ATTACH]

I can run Fire Strike without a problem, maybe it was just the first test that doesn't jive with my system for some strange reason....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14881[/ATTACH]

How did you make it work on an external screen? Will it work only on display port? Because now I am using HDMI or DVI (testing ) but nothing appears on the external monitor.