Goodbye 14x... hello 17xr3 :D

Alex Six

True, but assuming the r3 comes with the 1080p screen you also have 44% more pixels compared to a 900p screen... But the there's definitely more GPU power per pixel than on the M14x.

The 6870 will be able to overclock stable to a score of over 2600 on 3dmark11. I got 2780 or something close on my m15x with the 5850. Its an outstanding platform. Just heavier than the m14x. Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I really am. It makes alienware look bad when they are supposed to be the premier notebook and they just can't get it right. Please keep us posted.. Remember i owe you one... I wont forget.

The 6870 is a great card as StevenX stated, the only thing I would recommend is if you're going to go to a rig as large as the R3 I would highly recommend getting the 6970m. The 6870 is a good performer but the price and performance differences are too much to ignore between the 6870m and 6970m. The 6990m will kill any battery life and is a little overkill so don't worry about that. Either way it's an awesome rig. Let me know if you want some comparison pics.

thanks for all the replies!

@ steven: i was thinking of going for the 6970m but sadly i dont have $200 that i can drop on that upgrade. i have to buy alot of books for this semester.

@ SVl7: naw im sticking with the 900p screen. i have a 42" FHD plasma in my room that i can use for serious gaming, plus the lower res with the more powerful card will act sort of as a "future proofing" combo.

@Dane: please post some pictures! i would love to see the size difference.

another question, im sorry im sure this is better asked in the m17 forum but how good is the 6870m?

how far can it OC, and can we adjust the voltage?

stock clocks (if i remember correctly) are 675 on the gpu. It can easily be overclocked to 800 and probably more like 825 or 850 but each machine is different. Example my 5850 stock clocks were 625/1000 and leaving the mem alone I could play games at 825/1000 which would score me 2700 on 3dmark11. Strong cards.. very strong cards. I love ATI to tell you the truth.

m17xR2

Space Black

940XM

8gb ram

1gb 5870

17 inch UltraSharp WUXGA (1920x1200) RGB LED Display

Intel 6300 Wireless-N (2x2) Half Mini-Card

total = $1470 (with tax and shipping)

VS

m17xr3

Space black

2630QM

4Gb Ram

1gb 6870

900p

intel 6250

total = $1450 (with tax and shipping)

which one should i get?

The R2 will kick the snot out of the R3 in every single way but you can forget about ANY portability or battery life. Your battery life on that R2 will literally probably be 30 minutes or less. Honestly I think the R3 is probably better suited to you if you originally bought the M14x unless you think you bought the wrong rig. The R2 is for all out power, attached to an outlet, for someone who doesn't care about portability or battery life at all. The R3 is damn good power with improved portability over the R2(notice how I said improved not good lol) and pretty damn good battery life when needed. If you're after all out power go with an R2 but don't skip on the second graphics card, a single 5870 while good chokes on a lot of games at 1200p.

thx dane! i will go with the R2. i will however skip on the 2nd 5870 and go with 2 6970's at a later date.

i just feel i get much more bang for my buck with the r2, i hear the RGB screen rapes all others plus its only ~$20 more and with that i get an X edition processor that can OC to 3~3.5GHZ easy :D

now i just need my refund and for my school to buy me my 6970's (im an epic student lol)

The R2 will kick the snot out of the R3 in every single way but you can forget about ANY portability or battery life. Your battery life on that R2 will literally probably be 30 minutes or less. Honestly I think the R3 is probably better suited to you if you originally bought the M14x unless you think you bought the wrong rig. The R2 is for all out power, attached to an outlet, for someone who doesn't care about portability or battery life at all. The R3 is damn good power with improved portability over the R2(notice how I said improved not good lol) and pretty damn good battery life when needed. If you're after all out power go with an R2 but don't skip on the second graphics card, a single 5870 while good chokes on a lot of games at 1200p.

I get about 2 hours of battery life on R2, with just doing stuff in Windows and I think about 1.5 if watching video. This is without any tweaking whatsoever however. Also I would get another 5870 in that R2, simply because its easier to get it from Dell (or 6870 CF if you can afford it of course). If you get you'll be thanking us for RGB LED. (The screen is simply fantastic and the laptop is heavy, but is otherwise just amazing.)