EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
badbadbad

Are eGPUs the solution for portable VR?

So Oculus just announced it's Optimal Specs for running the rift today.

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer

I'm not an expert with hardware, but given that we have a decent Quadcore CPU, would notebooks running GTX970 eGPUs be ready for VR? Or will the bandwidth bottleneck take a huge hit in performance and render an unacceptable VR experience?

Thoughts anyone? Especially to those with a rift developer kit.

So Oculus just announced it's Optimal Specs for running the rift today.

I'm not an expert with hardware, but given that we have a decent Quadcore CPU, would notebooks running GTX970 eGPUs be ready for VR? Or will the bandwidth bottleneck take a huge hit in performance and render an unacceptable VR experience?

Thoughts anyone? Especially to those with a rift developer kit.

Some good discussion over at https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349 which links to External GPU - V²C - ViDock - V²Collaboration :: Topics in Use Cases (1/1) . Though that user Paul foolishly chose to connect his 10Gbps-TB1 2012 15" Macbook GT650M to a expresscard 4Gbps-EC2 ViDock enclosure (using Sonnet Echo Expresscard adapter -> 10Gbps-TB1 to 4GBps-EC2). It cost him more and he got 2.5 less bandwidth than a native AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure would have. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-units.html

• Thumbs Up 1

eGPUs will works. But keep in mind that you need raw GPU power to achieve good VR performance. Maybe GTX 980 and the upcoming GTX 980Ti are better for VR and eGPUs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for the reference @Tech Inferno Fan. And yes @Dschjin, I might just wait for the Pascal cards to launch.

Just asking cause I don't know if the bandwidth bottleneck (for x1.2, x2.2, TB1, TB2) would be the main issue here, compared to the raw processing power of the GPU.

I'm also interested in more details about eGPU's for the Oculus. We got a kit here at work about 6 months ago, but it's kinda been sitting on the shelf since then. Just haven't had much time to play with it, but we're getting ready to put together a new PC to run it again. I would love to know if anyone here as much experience with it.

Hello all,

I currently have a GTX 970 eGPU attached to my Asus ROG g551j laptop.

I have run the VR ready app on steam and it says that my pc is VR ready.

However, it is an eGPU.. so would the HTC / Oculus actually work with it?

Could i get a stable 60 FPS ??

Has anyone tried it already?

Thank you in advance,

Bryan

Edited by bryandb

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Radstark
      Title sums it up.

TL;DR: we have a Clevo that runs a desktop CPU, one with those huge 82 Wh batteries. We remove the GPU and let it use the CPU's integrated graphics. How much time for the battery to go from 100 to 0? Is it comparable to an ultrabook's?

I'm theorizing a mobile set with a static eGPU and an upgradable CPU. Given a hypothetical user that needs fast processing on the go and long battery life while retaining very high degrees of mobility, but at home wants a powerful machine to run most games, I guess that would be their best bet. It would surely be more convenient to keep everything in the same disk. And even though the thing would be quite heavy to carry around, changing CPU would be more cost-efficient than changing an entire laptop. (Not sure if I'm right here, and also I'm not sure whether the motherboard in a Clevo would be replaceable when the new CPU needs a different socket, which is another reason why I'm asking here.)

If my above guesses aren't correct, then an ultrabook with Thunderbolt and without a dedicated GPU would be a better choice. If they are, then we would be carrying more weight in exchange of a more cost-efficient setup, which I think would be a fair tradeoff.

Also I am aware of the heating problems that these laptops suffer from, at least compared to a desktop setup. Would they be solved by moving the GPU out of the chassis, and instead plugging it with an eGPU dock via Thunderbolt port?

What do you think? Is it doable? If not, why?
    • By damianalex
      Hi,
      I want to show you my new project.
      I bought my laptop about 5 years ago.  It was never speed deamon, but for every day use, it was enough to me.

Its specification:
      Intel i7-4700MQ
      Nvidia GeForce GT745M
      16GB RAM
      512 SSD Adata SU800

Yesterday I bought Witcher 3. Of course on 1080p it's impossible to play, because of about 10fps

So I make a decision to buy external grahpic card.
      I choose GTX970 and now I am looking for occasion to buy it.

I've already bought EXP GDC v8.4d mPCI-E. It is used and cost about 30$.

I will use ATX PSU to supply graphic card, because I have old desktop PSU at home.

My plan:
      1) unlock bios
      2) buy GTX 970
      3) enjoy Witcher 3!

BTW I try to cool down my laptop, so I replaced thermal paste to Kryonout Thermal Grizzly and make some tests. Temperatures and fps are on screenshots.

1) laptop on table, playing GTA V 1080p

- first minute (GPU core 1045MHz)

-after some time, because of high temperature and GPU throlttling (GPU core drop down even to 400MHz)

2) with thermalpad Glacier NC400 SilentiumPC

- 30 minute and longer (GPU core drop to about 900MHz)

3) without down case of laptop (like on picture with thermal paste) on thermalpad.
      Here laptop never drops down MHz and max temp are about 72 Celsius degrees.

Bacause of that I bought second down case for my laptop and I will cut there additional holes.

Greetings!

I will describe next step when I get all stuff I need!

• By popozitos
      Hello everyone
      I created a case for egpu using 2.5mm acrylic sheets. The first time I created a case to support a GPU + ATX psu
      Now I created another one for the GPU with an external Xbox 360 203w psu.
      the finish was not good but for my use it is already good.

*both cases album
      *Construction of the second case 
      *adapting xbox psu to 8pin power (taken from 24pin)

all made by hand with the tools I had.

from Brazil.

• By Consumerofmulch
      Hello!

I have recently acquired my Dell Inspiron 15 7000, and I am interested in building an egpu setup for it. It has a USB-C port. Any recommendations/guides out there?

thanks.
    • By Sparkhunter
      Hi there guys,

I've been looking into getting a new GPU for my laptop (4-lane PCI-e) and enclosure (HP Omen Enclosure) but I cannot decided between the RX 5700 XT and the RTX 2070 (non SUPER).

I did some price to performance calculations (higher is better) with some of the best prices I can currently get in the UK.

The RX 5700 XT does perform better and is cheaper than the RTX 2070 (Although the 2070 does come with 2 games) but my main concern is drivers and from what I've heard NVIDIA cards work a lot better with eGPUs than AMD.

If anyone has experience using both red & green or if anyone else has any other input i'd love to hear your experiences and input.

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.