Nvidia Grid for 3D work

davide445

Reading about this news NVIDIA I was wondering if in the future can become a solution to overcome the lack of external interfaces for eGPU.

Right now Nvidia cloud GPU appear to be limited for gaming (only Nvidia hardware as client) but curios if anyone tested a GPU cloud service provider using not just a game but a 3D application.

As I understand it GRID is more of a streaming service. As in they just take your keyboard and mouse input and essentially stream you a game that you're playing on a completely different system, not unlike Steam's in-home streaming feature if you're familiar with that, except that GRID does the streaming over the web instead of your local network (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

So I'd be inclined to say that GRID and services like it are a ways removed from the type of solution we'd need to replace external interfaces for GPU's; you might say GRID removes the need to own hardware entirely, but that doesn't really solve the eGPU interface problem.

I do think though that the fact that services like GRID are starting to pop up indicates that internet technology is getting to the point where somebody probably could develop a streaming protocol for GPU data and have an internet interface for GPU's that would help deal with the lack of physical external interfaces.

More interesting the vGRID solution for enterprise, where you can remotely access to 3D applications trough visualization solutions such as Citrix or VMware, using remote GPU power. Cloud gaming it's a different product, specific for Nvidia hardware. The same concept is also available under AMD hardware. Nobody tested it?

Searching on the net there are example of usage with Maya, Autocad and others.

With Nvidia building available data center in USA Northwest, USA Southwest, USA East Coast, Northern Europe, Central Europe, and Asia Pacific the latency might be acceptable.

DIY eGPU problems are well described in this forum and in my understandings are: lack of general availability of laptop external interface suitable for eGPU (limited to TB right now), no official support of eGPU from OEM manufacturers and OS producers, that make it something enthusiasts or indie professional can use, but not general pro users.

Limitations of cloud GPU solutions are in my understanding: need of a low latency and fast internet connection, cost structure shifting to a perpetual cost where you remain without service if you didn't want to pay, lock-in effect once you get used to this solution, dependency from third party services.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.