P170EM and 980m installation issues

Raykahn

Hello,

I just upgraded my 7970m to a 980m and have run into some problems that are preventing the 980m from running properly.

I have gone through the run of things;

updated bios to the latest prema one listed here.

uninstalled old driver stuffs

put the new card in

updated vbios

installed drivers*

*The main issue I can tell I am having is with drivers. I am using windows 7 64-bit. The only ones I have been able to get working is 347.90, and something about it just isn't quite right. It recognizes and labels the 980m, but then nothing utilizes it. No benchmarks, no games, and definitely not the desktop display (I tried disabling the intel hd 4000 and the 980m said it didn't support aero lol).

In the drivers options I set the global settings to always prefer the nvidia card over the onboard stuff, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I have tried modifying the .inf to some other driver versions but I must be missing something because I have yet to get that to work on my own.

While the 347 drivers are in GPU-Z sees all the correct information.

The Hardware ID listed in device manager is: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_71021558

Is there something obvious I am missing? I could really use some help here.

- Raykahn

I have tried that but no luck with it.

EDIT: Update here, got 350.12 working with it after continued tinkering with it. I don't appear to have all the bells and whistles though (like no shadowplay). Is there something extra I must do for that?

EDIT2: I am silly and realized I needed to download nvidia experience stuffs separately (To be fair I've been primarily using AMD since X1900XT was the top card lol), so everything appears to be working flawlessly. Super pleased with it.

Shadowplay is installed separately from the driver along with GeForce Experience yes? I usually don't install it.

When you say you don't have all the bells and whistles, do you mean the options in the NVIDIA Control Panel? The only option I've ever had was 3d Settings, both with my 670mx and the 980m. The rest of the normal NVIDIA options aren't there...something to do with Optimus.

Thank you all for your help. Prema already helped me out and my girlfriend now enjoys a GTX970m in the aged P150EM while playing farmville like stuff :)

I now changed to a P770ZM which is a real monster together with a i7-4970K, GTX980m and Samsung SM951. And it's completely quiet while surfing the web or at office work. No need for a seperate desktop. I remember the time when disk IO was the biggest bottleneck with laptops. Things can change :)

Thank you all for your help. Prema already helped me out and my girlfriend now enjoys a GTX970m in the aged P150EM while playing farmville like stuff :)

I now changed to a P770ZM which is a real monster together with a i7-4970K, GTX980m and Samsung SM951. And it's completely quiet while surfing the web or at office work. No need for a seperate desktop. I remember the time when disk IO was the biggest bottleneck with laptops. Things can change :)

I thought the GPU and CPU of a laptop were soldered to the motherboard. How did you get the replacement CPU and GPU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, first-off we use MXM3.0b mobile graphics cards which IS upgradable. 2nd, with these kind of laptops the cpu is removable and so is the memory for full upgrading/maintenance.

As for what's available, well, just do some research on Intel mobile Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPU's. Then check this for gfx options available (mainly high-end store). Eurocom VGA

I thought the GPU and CPU of a laptop were soldered to the motherboard. How did you get the replacement CPU and GPU?

Ok, first-off we use MXM3.0b mobile graphics cards which IS upgradable. 2nd, with these kind of laptops the cpu is removable and so is the memory for full upgrading/maintenance.

As for what's available, well, just do some research on Intel mobile Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPU's. Then check this for gfx options available (mainly high-end store). Eurocom VGA

Okay, but where did you get the new graphics card? Nvidia doesn't sell mobile graphics cards to consumers, only to PC manufacturers.

Stateside only Eurocom & Mythlogic will send you pre-flashed cards and a P1x0EM v3 BIOS Mod which won't require .inf Mods and work with all driver 100% right out of the box.

• 1 year later...