GTX980m Memory Clock issue

Hi folks. I have an Alienware m18xr2 with a gtx 980m gpu. I have Prema's unlocked vBIOS. I have been playing around with some overclocking options, and I've noticed every time I run a benchmark, the two I've tried have been Firestrike and Heaven, my memory clock drops from 2905mhz to 1600mhz. The speed tends to vary during the test and I notice a significant drop in my FPS when the memory clock drops. Anyone have any ideas on a solution?

Stats as seen in Nvidia Inspector

Core Clock: 1454mhz

Memory Clock; 2910mhz

Voltage: 1.175V (+112.5mV)

Update: Just tried playing GTA 5 with most of the settings maxed out, the exception being the MSAA (off), soft shadows (set to softer), the depth of field (off), and the tessellation (off). Even in a gaming situation, the memory clock speed drops to 1600mhz. This results in around a 13-15fps drop from where the fps usually sits, which is right at 58-60fps.

Update 2.0: I got the memory clock to stay at 2915MHz. However, now I have discovered a throttling issue in the Core Clock. It goes from the 1454Mhz down to 1126MHz. I thought this issue was fixed with Prema's unlocked vBIOS. I tried reflashing Prema's bios one more time and I am still having the throttling problems. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I am at my wits end with this crap.

Had you seen the common problem with Mr Fox's M18x??? He tried install 980m and had throttling issues.... So far had you observed if the throotle occurs if a specified temp?

Some dell systems have that issue with a temp limit like 66º in optimus and 77º without optimus. For example i have a alienware 17 ranger and 780m, that throotles in 66º, and decided not use the svl7 vbios that works like a champ but i prefer overclock it via bios to don't need create profiles of nvinspector or msi afterburner.... So I use my original vbios, and i solved my throotling issues using the Kepler Bios Tweaker v1.27 and set all clocks to 954 mhz in fisrt page and raise the voltage states for each clock to 1.000v so when the card try to downclock by itself, it downclock for the same clock so no matter the clock the card choose it will be always at 954 mhz in Performance p-state for all clocks transition. You can try Maxwell Bios Tweaker.... I left 954mhz 1.000v and 2997 on memory with dell original vbios and the throotling didn't happen more. I left untouched the other p-states for idle use.

I had seen Mr. Fox have some issues with his m18xR2 here and in a couple different forums. I would try the Kepler bios tweaker, but my gpu is a maxwell card. Not so sure where to start. I got my memory clock stable, just not the actual core clock. Always drops to 1126 every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Work got psychotic and I've had no time to troubleshoot. I also clearly cannot read, so my bad. Anyways, regarding throttling issues, it seems more like a gpu load based issue. I ran Skyrim a while back with every setting maxed and many graphics mods and there was no throttling at all. But when I have some time, I'll try these solutions and letcha know how it goes.

I tested that bios above in my own 980m on alienware 17 ranger... It stucks on 135mhz.... I also have tested in my M15x with svl7 vbios and a undervolted mine bios with turbo increased both work very well... No throtling at all, only in svl7 the temps reach 90 degres in crysis 3 but with my edited bios undervolted it peaks around 75~80 celsius. M15x cooling is less than 17 profile, but the card work at full speed. I want to do a review but i need some time. I am at sea and soon i will post my impressions!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...