Asus G750 Series GPU upgrade!

code9523

Hello everybody!

I want to share with you my experience in upgrade Asus G750 series laptops.

I owned G750JX laptop with a GTX770m gpu I always was thinking about upgrade gpu from gtx770m to gtx780m but there where several facts which stops me.

1. Compatibility of parts from different laptops.

2. Cost of rebuild.

But I found a donor laptop which was Asus G750JH after water damage and started building! Fortunately gpu wasn't damaged and was in perfect condition. I toke 2 laptops apart and swapped my working motherboard and keyboard module from G750JX to G750JH and turned it on. It logged in bios without any complications so I decide to assemble everything together and booted to windows.

Everything was working. Except one thing in windows device manager gpu was detected as Standard Microsoft Video Adaptor. The only program which recognized it was Aida64. So I started searching for solution.

1. The easy way is to modify drivers. (I haven't done it myself)

2. To flash bios from G750JH board.

I choose the second way. I asked my friend to make a mod for me to flash the G750JH bios to G750JX board. Because when I was trying to flash original rom from JH to JX I was getting errors like "wrong model" "size not matching" "version of bios is to old" etc. But mod was flashed using afudos without any problems. Exception was that my keyboard lights gone. So I decided to flash original mod after all using asus winflash. And everything works fine! No errors no bsods. Just works as it should! Now my board in bios is recognized as G750JH board also gpu in device manager is recognized as GTX780m and everything works fine!

When building I found out that both mother boards are identical also I found marks that they are Asus G750JW REV 2.1 even bios chips are same but they have another firmware on them.

Also I know that traveling from Asus G750JW to G750JX motherboard is possible just by replacing gpu. Everything else like cooling etc will feet on it's place like it should.

I instructed a guy from ROG forum and he also successfully upgraded gpu in G750JX to G750JH but now he is running in stock G750JX body with cooling system from G750JS.

So in cases I described upgrade for G750 series is possible! I'm now thinking about going further and upgrade to GTX980m from G750JY as body parts are same and it should feet inside.

P.S. All you do you are doing at your own risk!

Some pictures and video is coming soon =)

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have the same issue, have a G750JM with a 870m installed from G750JS, modded the driver with no luck, my only chance is to mod G750JS bios and flash it,

What exactly do i need to mod or how can i contact the person modded you BIOS.

Regards

• 1 month later...

hi aOryx, I moded my JX laptop to JH, and everything is working great, Code9523 help me back then to flash the JH BIOS to my JX, but everything worked before flash, I only needed to mod the driver, you have your 870m card installed?, can boot to windows??, It is reported inside device manager? if so can you share some more info??. This is a work in progress so if you have the machine to boot with the card installed there is a lot of hope for you.

Good luck, and please share your experience.

• 4 months later...

my laptop is asus g750jh - changeover of the motherboard from g750jx was made, but now works only at the external display how to pereproshit Bios from g750jh on on g750jx that the video card was defined.

• 9 months later...

Hi Code953.

You are the only guy on internet that i was able to find that succesfully did this. Awesome.

I own a Asus g750jw with a 765m that died, so i bought a 860m from g750jm, and everything works great except windows 10 sees it as a generic display adapter. I see you posted two possible solutions, one being drivers and the oher modify the Bios. I have never done any of those. Can you help me ? 

Thanks !

• Bios Modder
11 hours ago, Koke said:

Hi Code953.

You are the only guy on internet that i was able to find that succesfully did this. Awesome.

I own a Asus g750jw with a 765m that died, so i bought a 860m from g750jm, and everything works great except windows 10 sees it as a generic display adapter. I see you posted two possible solutions, one being drivers and the oher modify the Bios. I have never done any of those. Can you help me ? 

Thanks !

Hi!

For creating mod bios for you, i need your file backup of bios from your laptop.

For creating backup of bios use attached program. Extract  attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me that archive "results" or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just puchased a gtx980m and i am going to try to mod my g750jx into a jy. i was wondering if i also need the cpu heatsink and cooler for this mod and also if i can just write the bios from the jy on to my mainboard so please help :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
On 05/04/2018 at 3:55 PM, GabrielSG said:

Hello,

I just puchased a gtx980m and i am going to try to mod my g750jx into a jy. i was wondering if i also need the cpu heatsink and cooler for this mod and also if i can just write the bios from the jy on to my mainboard so please help :)

Hello man, 

Did it work out for you to upgrade to 980m?

I have g750jh I would like to upgrade also

Edited by 4runas

5 hours ago, 4runas said:

Hello man, 

5 hours ago, 4runas said:

Hello man, 

Hi,

It did not because the motherboard of the JX is rev 2.1 and the one on the JY is rev2.0.

There is a different pin on the gpu that does not work with my motherboard, so i need a rev 2.0 motherboard.

I'm thinking of buying one from ebay or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just before I go and buy something prematurely:

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems to be possible to upgrade a G750-JW (GTX 765m, revision 2.1) using the graphics card from a G750-JS (GTX 870m, revision 2.0) and that to do this upgrade, I need only replace the cards and flash a modded BIOS onto the system.

Is that correct? Or is upgrading limited to cards of the same revision e.g. 765M to 770M which are the only revision 2.1 cards I can find.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated. Also, sweet forum. Think I'll stick around.

Edited by frjoethesecond

Hi,

From my experience so far (tried to put gtx 980m in g750jx) you need a rev 2.0 motherboard in order to be able to make the mod, because the rev 2.1 motherboard has the intel gpu disabled and it will not work with a gpu and motherboard that is built to work also with the intel. The laptop will not powerup because the new gpu will cause a shortcircuit on the 2.1 rev motherboard. I will purchase a rev 2.0 motherboard and try the mod, when i will find the time.

Kind regards from Romania :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification. Do you know if there are any rev 2.1 cards more powerful than the GTX 770m? I haven't been able to find any on eBay.

Edit: Could you try disabling the pin (like with glue or tape) for the Intel GPU support, potentially allowing the 2.1 board to read the 2.0 card? It should be a reversible modification, assuming I understand the problem correctly.

Edited by frjoethesecond

6 hours ago, GabrielSG said:

GTX 780 from g750jh, but you also need the cooling system, the charging board and charger, plus the bigger bottom of the jh.

Well damn. Rev 2.1 owners got screwed. Still, good look with your 980 experiment should be a beast on the (relatively) cheap.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! 

I have the same issue as aOryx, I have a G750JM (860m) which I have upgraded the GPU to a 870m from a G750JS. It boots fine and the device shows up in windows 10, although deactivated with error 43. I have the JM BIOS version 205, I suspect I need a modded BIOS? After installing the card, a fresh copy of windows 10 was installed along with newest drivers for the 870m. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2015 at 1:55 AM, code9523 said:

Hello everybody!

I owned G750JX laptop with a GTX770m gpu I always was thinking about upgrade gpu from gtx770m to gtx780m but there where several facts which stops me.

2. Cost of rebuild.

But I found a donor laptop which was Asus G750JH after water damage and started building! Fortunately gpu wasn't damaged and was in perfect condition. I toke 2 laptops apart and swapped my working motherboard and keyboard module from G750JX to G750JH and turned it on. It logged in bios without any complications so I decide to assemble everything together and booted to windows.

Everything was working. Except one thing in windows device manager gpu was detected as Standard Microsoft Video Adaptor. The only program which recognized it was Aida64. So I started searching for solution.

I choose the second way. I asked my friend to make a mod for me to flash the G750JH bios to G750JX board. Because when I was trying to flash original rom from JH to JX I was getting errors like "wrong model" "size not matching" "version of bios is to old" etc. But mod was flashed using afudos without any problems. Exception was that my keyboard lights gone. So I decided to flash original mod after all using asus winflash. And everything works fine! No errors no bsods. Just works as it should! Now my board in bios is recognized as G750JH board also gpu in device manager is recognized as GTX780m and everything works fine!

When building I found out that both mother boards are identical also I found marks that they are Asus G750JW REV 2.1 even bios chips are same but they have another firmware on them.

Also I know that traveling from Asus G750JW to G750JX motherboard is possible just by replacing gpu. Everything else like cooling etc will feet on it's place like it should.

I instructed a guy from ROG forum and he also successfully upgraded gpu in G750JX to G750JH but now he is running in stock G750JX body with cooling system from G750JS.

So in cases I described upgrade for G750 series is possible! I'm now thinking about going further and upgrade to GTX980m from G750JY as body parts are same and it should feet inside.

hello friend still remembers how did the bios mod .. I took a 780m to put in place of a 765m .. I needed to put the bios of the g750jh .. if I record the bios directly with a bios recorder will it work ..

• 7 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, vonHatlen said:

Hi! 

I have the same issue as aOryx, I have a G750JM (860m) which I have upgraded the GPU to a 870m from a G750JS. It boots fine and the device shows up in windows 10, although deactivated with error 43. I have the JM BIOS version 205, I suspect I need a modded BIOS? After installing the card, a fresh copy of windows 10 was installed along with newest drivers for the 870m. 

Hi, I just wanted to know if it's worth to upgrade from 860m to 870m. Is everything running smoothly from your upgrade? Thanks

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2015 at 11:55 AM, code9523 said:

Hello everybody!

2. Cost of rebuild.

hei bro.. i have rog g750jw with gtx 765m and i want to increase it to 780m, is it possible? and what mod bios need? if you need bios mod, can you help me to modding my bios?