• 1 year later...
GTX 670MX in Alienware M15x

GPU overclocked with MSI Afterburner:

Core: 1000 Mhz

Mem.: 2200 Mhz

Max. temp during benchmarking = 79°C

Hi dennitbubi what´s up

I would like to know the model of your 670mx, because i´m thinking on buying the clevo 3gb one from upgrademonkey.

The insterest of my question is to know if you have had any issue with the oc driver for getting that

awesome marks and what about possible throttlings cases and the everyday performance with our oldie m15x, hehe

Regards

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the highest 3dmark 11 score on M15x?

I'm currently trying to balance gpu and cpu overclocks as the combined score is killing my total score.

I managed to get a combined score of 5733 with 6333 graphics and P6133 (850/1350 and 27/25/22/20).

Allow me to assume that I have that crown... in that case this would be the highest 3dM11 score:

post-80-14494995529089_thumb.jpg

And this with the 7970m, though this is not maxed, there's headroom in this case:

post-80-14494995528569_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

@svl7 I only managed to get 5750 physics score with 26 multiplier but it still throttles heavily in the combines score. How the hell did you get your physics score so high lol. It wouldn't have anything to do with your CAS 7 RAM would it?

Did you spool the fans up with HWinfo before starting the test?

Also was that gpu OC at stock voltage?

That graphic score was with Tess off. 7970m was at stock voltage, as I said, that's not the max possible.

The M15x struggles a bit with the 7970m due to it's relatively heavy power supply circuits, every CPU has a different stock voltage, so your results may vary. There's no universal way to get it to run the best way possible, you'll have to balance the settings yourself and see what works best for your system.

The 680m run no. The 7970m clocks should be fine for gaming, though I think the CPU would get too hot after a while.

What do you mean with " load the gpu circuits"? I just fired up the test from idling, that's it.

@svl7 by loading I mean running the gpu-z render test to partially load the gpu circuits to avoid throttling.

Here is a rather pathetic result where I ran 24 multiplier @86/76 with 850/1350 @ 0.975v. The combined test just throttled massively as you can see from core speeds on gpuz and MSI afterburner.

I can't find a way to stop it throttling down to 450 Mhz core clock during combined test.

Any suggestions?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2654032/Benchmark%20results.jpg

by loading I mean running the gpu-z render test to partially load the gpu circuits to avoid throttling.

That makes no sense, how should this help to avoid throttling... ? :)

If your card drops the clocks so bad then you should lower your CPU overclock.

That makes no sense, how should this help to avoid throttling... ? :)

If your card drops the clocks so bad then you should lower your CPU overclock.

@svl7 I direct you to this thread on NBR http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m15x/700476-m15x-7970m-throttle-fix.html

To summarise, throttling whilst gaming (with cpu and gpu overclocked) can be avoided by loading gpu circuit before playing, particularly in Crysis 3, using the render tool on gpuz.

Fully loading gpu and cpu at the same time (without using the render tool) causes instant throttling that persists throughout the gaming session.

I have managed to get better combined score of 5730 with a smaller cpu OC but I just don't understand how you managed to get your score.

Sorry if this is irritating for you but it really does irritate me!