Upgrade and Fixing GX780R Questions

DarthDestroyer

Hey everyone,

i have some Questions for my GX780R in this first Post!

This Forum looks really good for these Questions and i hope, that anyone can help me.

1. I would like to upgrade the GPU, many Threads here are saying "770m" would be an option. Is this possible for the GX780R with GT 555m aswell or are any new or better options available, atm?

I had read a lot about Problems with Fermi -> Kepler. I hope on your experience!

2. I have some Problems with the keyboard. In my Case, i cant write a upper "D" and no ";". I came from Germany and it is the German Keyboard Layout. The MSI Service Response is pending... No Answer, right now.

3. Some Plastic Items seems to be lax. In my opinion, the glue got loose?! Is this known? Any Ideas for fixing?

For example, The touchpanel seems to fly in the Power Button Area or the Alu-Strip between Keyboardframe and Touchpad.

It's only aesthetically, but it looks ugly.

I would like to make it fit for master-study.

Thank you for your interest, I hope for your help!

Hello I can help only on the first point , because it is a question I asked myself can sostiutire your card with the following 7970M , 970M and 980M .

I personally bought the 7970M , unfortunately vbios was not compatible , and is now in a service center for the upgrade with a vbios compatible .

Back when I mount it and you will confirm the compatibility :)

Remember that if you want to buy one of these cards do not make the same mistake and ask first if compatibility is 100 %

You need the MSI Version from the GTX770M, than you have no trouble. The Clevo Version will be also work, with the MSI vBIOS and modified drivers. You need also another Heatsink for Kepler GPU´s, or you modify your GT555M Heatsink, that is possible. The best performance Option is the GTX970M for ca. 500€.

2 + 3: when you want, i have a complete GT70 Chassie incl. german Backlight Keyboard for you, but you can also use glue for some breaks.

When you want, than you can visit me in the german end-user MSI Forum www.msi-forum.de , there i´m moderator for the Notebooksection.

hey, thank you for your response!

that sound good! i dont have a problem with modifiing metals :) great!!!

i thought about a ~400€ budget! the 970 would be nice, but i think, its a little bit tooooo much.

we could talk about your offer! this doesnt sound bad!

i'm already at the german forum! :)

Hello I can help only on the first point , because it is a question I asked myself can sostiutire your card with the following 7970M , 970M and 980M .

I personally bought the 7970M , unfortunately vbios was not compatible , and is now in a service center for the upgrade with a vbios compatible .

Back when I mount it and you will confirm the compatibility :)

Remember that if you want to buy one of these cards do not make the same mistake and ask first if compatibility is 100 %

Unfortunately I do not understand why , but it does not work with the 7970M readeon vbios 015017

If you can take and operate a different card let me know where to buy it .

thanks

Unfortunately I do not understand why , but it does not work with the 7970M readeon vbios 015017

If you can take and operate a different card let me know where to buy it .

thanks

7970M works only with the old vbios - with enduro disabled.

I got the card from DELL and luckily it was the old vbios. Plug n play.

Other users who got the newer vbios had to blindlfash it.

7970m is about 5% faster than 770m, but its not worth it IMHO. Lot of problems involved - fan speed no longer controlled by GPU temp, if you remove CMOS you will need to go back to BIOS and blindly set the vbios to Legacy mode (screen doesnt work if in EFI compatible)

770m works if its MSI or Clevo card. You dont have to flash clevo card - it works perfectly, but you need modded inf. to install drivers. A bit annoying if you are installing drivers every second week. Apart from that, it works without flashing vBIOS. DELL card does not POST.

970m is a whole different story - even lower temps, double the performance. Worth the money imho.

• 2 weeks later...