2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [Dschijn#2]

On 7/3/2015 at 5:41 AM, Dschijn said:

Please take a look at page 1 of the AKiTiO discussion: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html

There is a short Zotac card that can fit, if you remove the fan shroud!

Dschijn - quick question on the zotac gtc 970.  Is removing the fan shroud as easy as removing a couple of screws or is there more to it than that?  I ask as I would like to be able to keep the card warrantable in case of any card failure issues.  Zotac seems to have a solid warranty program (from what I read).

1 minute ago, ditkafan said:

Dschijn - quick question on the zotac gtc 970.  Is removing the fan shroud as easy as removing a couple of screws or is there more to it than that?  I ask as I would like to be able to keep the card warrantable in case of any card failure issues.  Zotac seems to have a solid warranty program (from what I read).

ignore me... should have read the rest of the thread before asking my question... per a post of page 3, its 4 screws ;)

• 1 month later...

@ditkafan Yo! I'm new to everything in this section of computing, like soldering and cables and coding and almost everything!

I just wanted to know if your setup is doing fine, because I'm really interested in this whole thing and I'd like to make an eGPU myself with your case. And do you have any new recommendation for the case or any new akitio?

(PLEASE TELL ME YOU SELL THEM :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone is selling it for 648 on ebay with a 300w power supply and a 0.5m thunderbolt cable? Will that be a good option? (No GPU installed)

P.S. any idea if this would be compatible with the new 1080 and 1070?

Edited by amirhosein

5 hours ago, amirhosein said:

Someone is selling it for 648 on ebay with a 300w power supply and a 0.5m thunderbolt cable? Will that be a good option? (No GPU installed)

P.S. any idea if this would be compatible with the new 1080 and 1070?

Yeah it's the guy that stole the idea from this topic

and sincerely 648$ it's a lil' bit too much

I think you could use the new graohics cards just by using a more powerful supply nah?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I am 100% sure that I am using this guide. But the problem is....... I am not a hardware guy. I don't  understand all this stuff :- 

(x) ordering all the parts

(x) remove the stock GPU fan

(x) attach the new fans to the GPU

(x) tape the case and draw cutting and drilling positions

(x) solder the cables: 6-Pin PCIe

(x) solder the cables: barrel plug

(x) solder the cables: power switch

(x) cut the ventilation holes: top side

(x) cut the ventilation holes: left side

(x) drill the holes for the fan grills

(x) cut the case for the fan (92mm in front is beeing partially blocked be the case structure)

(x) cut the case 3x for the DA-2 power plug

(x) glue the power plug into the case with two-component adhesive

removing GPU fan.....Can't even think of it. Over that I have never soldered anything. Can you make a TODO video STEP-BY-STEP Guide of all this stuff. I know its hard to tear all of it again but if possible plz do a video....that would be really helpful :(

If you make a video, the very next day I am gonna have this step done for me. Software step, running scripts & all other stuff is not an issue. But hardware is really difficult part :(

I don't have the eGPU anymore, sorry.

And you do not have to remove the GPU fans, that was just my personal choice to improve cooling and overclock the GPU.

I can do a step by step guide for adapters and cables, if someone buys the parts for me ;) Could send the finshed cable by mail.

I already did some soldering for other people here...

• Thumbs Up 1

very impressive work and results. and i like your detailed information on every single aspect.

You think it will performed well with Quadro cards?

I'm more into visual fx, compositing & 3D stuff.

so i use eGPU for it, Looking for a rendering time speed boost & in-app interactions as well as encoding. I don't think Benchmarks will answer my questions :). No one seems to post eGPU with a Quadro cards.

I have test mPCIE version EXP GDC Beast v8 with Quadro 6000 & 4000 on a Lenovo W520 before finally bricked them.

3521f284be58a5cda3c0d2f7387f3d45.jpg

On July 13, 2016 at 10:17 PM, ssamydla said:

very impressive work and results. and i like your detailed information on every single aspect.

You think it will performed well with Quadro cards?

I'm more into visual fx, compositing & 3D stuff.

so i use eGPU for it, Looking for a rendering time speed boost & in-app interactions as well as encoding. I don't think Benchmarks will answer my questions :). No one seems to post eGPU with a Quadro cards.

I have test mPCIE version EXP GDC Beast v8 with Quadro 6000 & 4000 on a Lenovo W520 before finally bricked them.

3521f284be58a5cda3c0d2f7387f3d45.jpg

The great thing about Quadro cards is that their drivers are Thunderbolt-enabled, so you don’t have to edit any kext files or run automate-eGPU.sh. You might have to install Nvidia drivers, but that’s easy. Though, the Quadro drivers might be in El Capitan since Quadro cards are for creative use instead of gaming and Apple has always been focused on creative work while shunning gaming, which is rather annoying for those of us who want to play games on a Mac. If you’re curious about Apple shunning gaming on the Mac, you might want to watch this YouTube video: 

@jfraser i'm not interested for gaming on mac.

My mac pro 2013 is suck for 3D applications/VFX.

I use HP Z840 workstation with Dual Quadro M6000 24GB GDDR5 for VFX

and will test the Quadro on a MacPro eGPU instead.

I'm sure there will be bandwidth bottleneck for it's CUDA parallel processing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For programming the kernel, I keep getting an error message when booting up my computer. Which thread should I go to ask about this.

Error reads as follows:

GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions

grub>

***So I am assuming that this is just an error in code. But I would like to know who to ask or which thread to follow for the answer thank you. 

4 minutes ago, RobRauff said:

For programming the kernel, I keep getting an error message when booting up my computer. Which thread should I go to ask about this.

Error reads as follows:

GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions

grub>

***So I am assuming that this is just an error in code. But I would like to know who to ask or which thread to follow for the answer thank you. 

I had a similar issue after installing Ubuntu on a flash drive for my MacBook Pro. I was able to get rid of grub by reinstalling OS X El Capitan.

2 hours ago, jfraser said:

I had a similar issue after installing Ubuntu on a flash drive for my MacBook Pro. I was able to get rid of grub by reinstalling OS X El Capitan.

I just installed an update to El Capitan, but do you know of the thread in which you install the seed on your mac. I want to know if I have any problems with my kernael. I am still running windows 8, is there any problems with windows 8 all of the sudden?

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, goto35 said:

I wish you can just sell one to me and all i would need is to install my gpu. Would you sell one to me  and i can pay you ahead of time?!

I have one for sale. It's a galax GTX970 in an akitio box.