Clevo 370EM and unable to boot to Bios

JPA

Hello,

I was playing some CS:GO when my suddenly my laptop screen went black and secondary display froze with displaying only brown lines on it. I shut down the laptop and have been unable to boot it up since.

When I power up, all I'm getting is a black screen. The fans start rolling and power and blue tooth leds as well as keyboard backlight are on. USB devices aren't getting any power.

I tried reseting CMOS by removing the battery cable under keyboard. I've also tried creating a bootable USB drive with diskpart with Prema and stock BIOS. If I press FN+B, the USB stick gets power, laptop shuts down, reboots and still getting the same black screen. If i keep pressing FN+B, the laptop just continues rebooting. Is there anything I can try next?

This happened to me before, after installing latest beta drivers for Radeon 7970M. Laptop would not wake up from sleep and got stuck with blank screen. I left the laptop running when I went to take a shower, and when I got back it had booted up and worked fine. Only thing I noticed after that was that booting up to splash screen took very long time, but after that everything worked normally.

If you have two cards test them each without the other to find the culprit. Sounds like one of your 7970M needs the oven... :)

As for now I gotta agree with Prema, however, I have a couple questions. 1. what were your temps like while playing? and 2. are you an aggressive player? I know it sounds odd but I know a couple people who slam their keyboards after a bad session. Replaced a friends mobo before because of that...not too fun.

Thanks for the replies!

If you have two cards test them each without the other to find the culprit. Sounds like one of your 7970M needs the oven... :)

As I only have one, should the laptop run with integrated graphics if I remove the graphics card?

As for now I gotta agree with Prema, however, I have a couple questions. 1. what were your temps like while playing? and 2. are you an aggressive player? I know it sounds odd but I know a couple people who slam their keyboards after a bad session. Replaced a friends mobo before because of that...not too fun.

I haven't checked temps for long time TBH. Just relied on the cooling as the laptop has been sitting alone on the table and I've been lately cleaning the fans pretty often. I would never hit anything as expensive as my desktop replacement laptop :)

What i've tried so far has been removing HDDs, which made no difference. Then I removed memory. Removing 1 piece of memory causes the laptop after few seconds to a) reboot if connected to charger B) shut down if running on battery. So the same behavior when I try to boot to bios from memory stick. I also tried removing all 4 pieces of memory and the laptop does the same, reboots or shuts down after a few seconds. As if it would always do that when it tries to access BIOS.

How should the laptop act if I remove all memory? Should it show some kind of led code or make a sound? Could this be a MB issue?

System can't boot without memory, it needs at least one RAM.

Take the MXM card out and clean the contacts. It probably doesn't help, but that's about the last thing you can do before baking the GPU in an oven.

About 30% of all 7970M failed over time...