MSI GT80: 8 Go RAM and GTX 970M vs. 16 Go RAM and GTX 980M

Omega Force

Hello.

I'm thinking about buying a MSI laptop.

I'm hesitating between these two:

MSI GT80 2QD 046FR Titan SLI - 18.4" - Core i7 4720HQ - Windows 8.1 - 8 Go RAM - 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD - en occasion ou neuf - Achat vente Informatique : avec la Fnac

MSI GT80 2QE 045FR TITAN SLI - 18.4" - Core i7 4720HQ - Windows 8.1 - 16 Go RAM - 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD - en occasion ou neuf - Achat vente Informatique : avec la Fnac

They are both GT80. They both have a screen of 18.4", a core i7 4720HQ and 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD.

As far as I can tell, the only differences are:

- The first one has a RAM of 8 Go, a graphics card of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - 6 Go GDDR5 SDRAM", and a price of €2286 = $2560 (it's cheaper by €588 = $659)

- The second one has a RAM of 16 Go, a graphics card of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8 Go GDDR5 SDRAM", and a price of €2874 = $3219 (it's more expansive by €588 = $659)

And so my question is: Which one should I buy? The first one or the second one?

If you need to know some context and what I'm going to use this PC for:

I'm going to use this PC many many hours per day, maybe up to 14 hours per day when I'm on vacation.

I won't play any video games on it. But I will play a lot of chess (and some backgammon), and use powerful chess softwares for analyzing games.

I also often make some programs on MatLab and SharpDevelop.

Also an important note: I always have a few hundred tabs (sometimes even a thousand) constantly opened at the same time on Firefox (which makes it freeze and crash a lot). And many of those tabs are Youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hello.

I'm thinking about buying a MSI laptop.

I'm hesitating between these two:

MSI GT80 2QD 046FR Titan SLI - 18.4" - Core i7 4720HQ - Windows 8.1 - 8 Go RAM - 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD - en occasion ou neuf - Achat vente Informatique : avec la Fnac

MSI GT80 2QE 045FR TITAN SLI - 18.4" - Core i7 4720HQ - Windows 8.1 - 16 Go RAM - 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD - en occasion ou neuf - Achat vente Informatique : avec la Fnac

They are both GT80. They both have a screen of 18.4", a core i7 4720HQ and 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD.

As far as I can tell, the only differences are:

- The first one has a RAM of 8 Go, a graphics card of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - 6 Go GDDR5 SDRAM", and a price of €2286 = $2560 (it's cheaper by €588 = $659)

- The second one has a RAM of 16 Go, a graphics card of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8 Go GDDR5 SDRAM", and a price of €2874 = $3219 (it's more expansive by €588 = $659)

And so my question is: Which one should I buy? The first one or the second one?

If you need to know some context and what I'm going to use this PC for:

I'm going to use this PC many many hours per day, maybe up to 14 hours per day when I'm on vacation.

I won't play any video games on it. But I will play a lot of chess (and some backgammon), and use powerful chess softwares for analyzing games.

I also often make some programs on MatLab and SharpDevelop.

Also an important note: I always have a few hundred tabs (sometimes even a thousand) constantly opened at the same time on Firefox (which makes it freeze and crash a lot). And many of those tabs are Youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

If you will not be playing games go for the 970m sli version or even a single GPU version (047) and buy some ram outright to fill the top two ram slots under the removable panel if needed. The cost for ram is probably 100-120 us dollars for 16gb of DDR3 1600mhz SODIMM. You can upgrade down the road and the either option has more than enough power.