Is Alienware Alpha Worth It?

winterpk

My friend asked me about the Alienware Alpha (Alienware Alpha) and I immediately told him I thought Alienware was overpriced and he could build a better gaming system for much less. He found the Core i5 version for $500 which isn't a bad price for what it offers. What do you guys think? Would this be a good option for someone who doesn't have a lot of technical knowledge?

I dont find it attractive on multiple aspect, the price is a bit steep for a mini pc running on a 860m gpu, and the better alternatives like the ps4 can perform around the same 860m but cost alot cheaper when on sell. Game selection might be its advantage but i dont see the point if someone owns a desktop would consider to play their games on the alienware alpha that has limited gpu power. If he really wants to game on pc, he better use those money to build a desktop.

Theres much better alternatives over Alienware. It was better before the acquisition by Dell back in 2009. Now, it's overpriced for the hardware you get. I think NCIX or CyberPower could build something with better specs if you don't care about the SteamOS. The size of the AA is pretty sweet for what's crammed in there.

I think that if you are going to buy a computer, than you can invest in one not only to play games. A computer has many more usefull stuff to be done thatn playing games, like building a media center.

But if your only wish is to play games and still buy cheap hardware, I'd say that a console might be a better idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, altough i am very fond of Alienware design (that was probably the biggest selling point for me when i bought AW17) so you are paying extra for a brand and the looks. For a casual person i don't think its worth it and as other people in here said there are alternatives. But if you are a sucker for good looks like me... well then...

As for me, i was never into consoles, i think the future lies with laptops.

• 3 weeks later...

You could save the money for the Alpha and instead buy a laptop (you can do many things with this little portable machines) or maybe a console like ps4 or xbone which are only for gaming but usually last long because games are optimised for them over a long period.

But personally I would go with a Laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

amazingly, the Alpha from various perspectives fills in presently. The framework has been changed and advanced to permit it to play almost any present amusing game at 1920x1080 resolution with smooth edge rates. for $500 is more expensive than a PS4 or Xbone and i personally find the PS4 or Xbone is still a bit better then the Alienware Alpha, although its a great start. i would see a few reviews on it and wait a few generations before i buy one to see have its comes along.

• 1 month later...

I think it's not worth the price. It's only that small because the power supply is external (a brick). And it's too noisy.

You can get an AMD mini ITX build with much better specs than that thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been using an alienware laptop for a while now (bought it in 2011) and have been quite satisfied with it. I'm aware that these computers do come with a high price tag for what's in them, but for the purpose I had and the technical skills I had at the time, It was a great buy. Been getting a little better with technology and now upgrading the graphics cards. Was surprised by how easy these are to tear apart and put back together. I'm not sure how it goes with the console version, but I do like to keep my hardware clean and in good operating condition. I wouldn't dare to even try to touch the Playstation. What is a good buy really depends on what you are looking for and until you yourself know what you want, no one can really help but give their own experiences as reference.

I wouldn't recommended either. There are much better alternative out there that will cost you much less then what they put out. I think alineware is increasingly becoming a brand that targets demographic who's new to computer gaming culture, enticing them with the aesthetic look of their computer.

My experiences with Alienware have all been pretty bad. The customer service is terrible, as stated above, and they're very overpriced. If you don't need a laptop, building your own desktop will be far cheaper and you'll get a lot of freedom to upgrade it in the future. If you need a laptop, I'd look for another company, like Asus.