When should I repast my GPU?

Hey all, I have a Clevo / Sager p150 sm-a with a GTX 870m. I bought it new from Xotic PC right about a year ago. I haven't noticed any heat issues with it. I always game with a cooler master pad and rarely ever see temps climb over 87C. I love this machine and want it to keep screaming along like it has and will probably start light OC 'ing here soon. When should I repaste the GPU? Is there a normal time limit that most people do? I.e. every 6 months - year? Should I repaste the CPU at the same time? Thank you in advance

Whenever you notice your temps are climbing a lot. If you have a good paste of IC Diamond, you should never need to repaste. But if you think temps are way too high, you might wanna look into it, or maybe a cooling mod or two.

Whenever you notice your temps are climbing a lot. If you have a good paste of IC Diamond, you should never need to repaste. But if you think temps are way too high, you might wanna look into it, or maybe a cooling mod or two.

My Sager Did came with diamond IC compound, so I should be alright for a while? I guess the main reason I bring it up is that I'm curious if it's better to be proactive about it and do it every year or just do a "wait and see" approach until my temps start climbing. Also does 87c seem appropriate for heavy gaming/benchmark. Thank you for your responses!

I do a compressed air blowout of CPU/GPU fans and hardware orally once every 1-2 months, I've never had to repaste so I'm excited to experiment but a little nervous, will prolly pull some YouTube footage and do some studying first, thank you for your help!

Hi EgoTrip26,

Your temp of 87c for the 870m sounds about what it should be, if you look up HTWingNut review of the Clevo P150SM-A he benchmarks but with a 880m which is similar will run slightly hotter. If you have doubts on whether to repaste I would go for it, not to difficult to disassemble and there are plently of youtube videos and help on the forums just take your time and go slow dont force anything. Also when you blow out your fans with canned airs take care not to spin the fans with the air while its connected to mobo. As far as thermal paste go google thermal compound roundup people put alot of time into testing the different compounds and you will find alot of it is to each his own. I have read that IC diamond will scratch the cpu die so I tend to stay away from it, right now I am using prolimatech pk-3 and it works good but am getting gelid cg extreme in mail soon which is supposed to be the best compound that is non metallic. I would personally repaste as I do not know who applied the thermal paste and they could have done a shitty job. As long as you apply the new paste correctly you will only see a drop in temps or remain the same, if you do decide to do it I would apply it to the gpu die using the pea method thermal paste roughly the size of a cooked grain of rice. Let us know if you need help.

Based on my experience i replace mine around 1-2 years that depends on the temps ofcourse since i got alot of spare time i usually clean my fan every 3 months or less.. Its a matter of patience when cleaning your laptop.

Up 80 C temps are fine to me, anything above 81 is high and above 90 is dangerous. Note this is my opinion, i've had 2 laptops in the past 7 years and last i saw 80 C or similar was when the fan was clogged with dust to the point i had to wash the heat sinks with a brush.

Personally, I love disassembling my gt70 and reassembling it. Building computers is deeply therapeutic for me. But aside doing it for the enjoyment, I also do it just to maintain it and keep it clean. I do this about twice a month (which by no means am I recommending). As for reapplying paste, I do it every 8 cleanings, which works out to be once every 4 months. It's a stupid waste of money, but I enjoy it and it works for me.

However, if you just watch your temps and know what they average, a good sign that it's time to re-paste is if you see a sudden increase in that average by about 15-20C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you notice your temps get higher when you do the same things, for example if you play a game and your temps are around 70 degrees C, that is perfectly fine. But maybe a few months later it climbs to 75 in the same day, and then just keeps climbing. I would say once it raises 10-20 degrees from factory new (ayy csgo reference) you should repaste it.