Jump to content
Review: E-Win Champion Series Gaming Chair Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
timohour

14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, aldimeola81 said:

Ok so will be OK.. Is better the dgpu + igpu version or igpu only for my purpose?

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

dGPU version has a much better cooler, but you will have to disable the dGPU in order to enable Opt. compression. I never used an Nvidia card on this laptop so I won't know.

 

I would suggest dGPU if you want to upgrade to i7 quad. If you are going dual core any of the two would be OK and iGPU would be easier to setup.

 

note: There are some reports that some E6430 (iGPU/dGPU) won't handle adequately the x1.2 signal. Two cases reported to have trouble to connect an eGPU successfully @ x1.2 with EC. They had to downgrade to x1.1.
Right now prices are too low on ebay (you can find a CPU only as low as $100). So you may take your chances and try. I would also suggest that you go for one of the latest models so it will still be under warranty.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok so will be OK.. Is better the dgpu + igpu version or igpu only for my purpose?

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

dGPU version has a much better cooler, but you will have to disable the dGPU in order to enable Opt. compression. I never used an Nvidia card on this laptop so I won't know.

 

I would suggest dGPU if you want to upgrade to i7 quad. If you are going dual core any of the two would be OK and iGPU would be easier to setup.

 

note: There are some reports that some E6430 (iGPU/dGPU) won't handle adequately the x1.2 signal. Two cases reported to have trouble to connect an eGPU successfully @ x1.2 with EC. They had to downgrade to x1.1.

Right now prices are too low on ebay (you can find a CPU only as low as $100). So you may take your chances and try. I would also suggest that you go for one of the latest models so it will still be under warranty.

 

That's a bad news, how can I discover if mine will work at 1.2Opt or not? The igpu only model is unaffected?the dgpu can be disabled into bios or I need egpu setup? Another thing: my t530 runs very cool maibe around 60C° also playing at GTA 5 with everything maxed on fhd display, I have an i5-3360 processor.. Why the dell has temperature problem with same I core series? I've read also about modded bios to overclock the CPU, it will work with any supported CPU or only with some models?sorry for too much request, but I don't want to buy another bad laptop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have the problem with Optimus compression not working. 

Made clean Windows 7 reinstall. Through EFi command line i have enabled iGPU and made it default when booting up.

I also have tried connecting eGPU when i have already logined into a Windows. It detects the GTX670 correctly then, but still the benchmark results are much lower then with X230. But what is really weird. Lower benchmarks shouldn't mean that You can't play a game still... tested that theory.

Downloaded and played Ryse- Son of Rome game- it lagged so badly, Lowered the game visuals to low... still nothing.

Played same game with my eGPU connected my working X230... flawless gameplay- so smooth- even though it has dual core CPU....

I dont know what to do anymore, consider selling the e6430 now. No point keeping it when in real life eGPU doesnt work.

Disabling the NVS5200 in Windows doesn't help. Connecting the eGPU when Windows has booted- no help! EFI changes with iGPU made primary and enabled- no help...

I haven't tried lowering the EC speed to Gen1... if that is the case and it works... then still, X230 will be superior to e6430 as it is faster in real games thanks to higher pci-e speed.

Edited by viilutaja
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your x230 able to boot with monitor connected to egpu? Mine t430 not.. My 3dmark06 score are 21500.. Bye

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,
I changed the thermal paste on my e6430 and I accidentally damaged (it's lost now) one SMD part of the GPU. Does anyone know what the component is (capacitor/resistor/something else) and what is its value?
I know I'm an idiot. :/

 

gpu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1. 3. 2016 at 2:00 AM, Khenglish said:

a capacitor. It is very unlikely that you will notice a difference with it missing.

Yes, there is difference with it missing. Whole dGPU is not working, so any digital video output is not working, even in dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow ok, I'll check mine for you then. It might be a few days before I get to it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

measured mine and showed .980 

It is probably 1 KΩ

 

VGA is directly connected to your iGPU both on the laptop and the dock. So it would probably work.

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!
Yes, VGA works, but neither of the monitors which I am using has no VGA input. :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2016 at 3:38 PM, kaberos said:

Hello,
I changed the thermal paste on my e6430 and I accidentally damaged (it's lost now) one SMD part of the GPU. Does anyone know what the component is (capacitor/resistor/something else) and what is its value?
I know I'm an idiot. :/

 

gpu.jpg

 

So I just checked mine and that is the only resistor on the entire package, and thus the only required component. The resistance is 40k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Khenglish said:

 

So I just checked mine and that is the only resistor on the entire package, and thus the only required component. The resistance is 40k.

Well i am quite confused. Timohour said 1K, you said 40K. That's little bit different value. Thank You anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kaberos said:

Well i am quite confused. Timohour said 1K, you said 40K. That's little bit different value. Thank You anyway.

 

I may have done something wrong. I will try tomorrow to measure it again but I suggest you go with what Khenglish suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, timohour said:

 

I may have done something wrong. I will try tomorrow to measure it again but I suggest you go with what Khenglish suggested.

 

I measured it with the core removed, so there is nothing on the motherboard that can be altering the value.

 

It turns out I don't have a stencil for gf108/gf117/gk107 chips so there will be some delay before redoing the gf117 core. 4850m -> 4890 core is taking precidence at this time and is well underway.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

It turns out I don't have a stencil for gf108/gf117/gk107 chips so there will be some delay before redoing the gf117 core. 4850m -> 4890 core is taking precidence at this time and is well underway.

 

Ι have been thinking to try this. I am considering either the gk107 core or even  the gm107/8. I think I will be able to replace the chip successfully.

Do you think you can help me to replace the vBIOS section in my BIOS?

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timohour said:

 

Ι have been thinking to try this. I am considering either the gk107 core or even  the gm107/8. I think I will be able to replace the chip successfully.

Do you think you can help me to replace the vBIOS section in my BIOS?

 

I can replace the vbios as a whole. I can't piecemeal parts the e6430 needs with parts the specific core needs, so the vbios will need to work as is, which is highly questionable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear all,

 

This is my 1st post and sorry for the bad English.

It's not my 1st language.

Currently wondering about using eGPU, right now I'm confused between these 2 laptops.

Dell E6430 or HP 8470P.

Is it really no solution to get PCI-E 2.0 2x at Dell E6430?

From what I heard (or I read), the only thing that we could get the 2.0 2x is by using PE4C V2.1.

And as far as I know, it has been discontinue and replace by the newer PE4C V3.0.

Using the V3.0 (whether EC or mPCI-E) on Dell E6430 wil only result on 2.0 1x which 4Gbps, right?

On the contrary, EC's bandwitdh on HP 8470p has 5Gbps.

Both laptop are great.

Has RAID, support XMP, 900p, excellence build quality etc.

Is there any other IB laptop that has wider bandwidth than HP 8470p?

Exclude the thunderbolt one coz I never found any IB laptop that has Thunderbolt port here, in Indonesia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ipta_only said:

Dear all,

 

This is my 1st post and sorry for the bad English.

It's not my 1st language.

Currently wondering about using eGPU, right now I'm confused between these 2 laptops.

Dell E6430 or HP 8470P.

Is it really no solution to get PCI-E 2.0 2x at Dell E6430?

From what I heard (or I read), the only thing that we could get the 2.0 2x is by using PE4C V2.1.

And as far as I know, it has been discontinue and replace by the newer PE4C V3.0.

Using the V3.0 (whether EC or mPCI-E) on Dell E6430 wil only result on 2.0 1x which 4Gbps, right?

On the contrary, EC's bandwitdh on HP 8470p has 5Gbps.

Both laptop are great.

Has RAID, support XMP, 900p, excellence build quality etc.

Is there any other IB laptop that has wider bandwidth than HP 8470p?

Exclude the thunderbolt one coz I never found any IB laptop that has Thunderbolt port here, in Indonesia.

 

Not to bring you bad luck, but I was not able to make the PCI-E 2.0 work on my E6430 + PE4L V2b. The same configuration works on the HP 2570p, so.... is the EC link on the dells that is lacking, it seems.

Edited by Dewos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, someone can say me what's the record score on 3dmark 06 or firestrike for an egpu connected on express card until now? What's the laptop that scored better? Dell e6430 or what? Thanks.

At the moment I'm testing my w510 and t530 ( specifically bought for egpu purposes) with pe4c and gtx 960.. The score in firestrike disabling dgpu in windows is the same: 5200.. And the w510 has only a gen 1 express card and no optimus.. In gaming the performance also is about the same.. Same ram ;8gb, ssd, but different CPU: w510 has i7-920xm and t520 i5-3360m I really can't understand

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6. 3. 2016 at 11:58 PM, Khenglish said:

 

I measured it with the core removed, so there is nothing on the motherboard that can be altering the value.

 

It turns out I don't have a stencil for gf108/gf117/gk107 chips so there will be some delay before redoing the gf117 core. 4850m -> 4890 core is taking precidence at this time and is well underway.

40K resistor was right one. With 1K resistor, notebook was detecting GT620M, with .960 resistor notebook was detecting some Nvidia Tesla model, without resistor, notebook was detecting some audio device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dewos said:

 

Not to bring you bad luck, but I was not able to make the PCI-E 2.0 work on my E6430 + PE4L V2b. The same configuration works on the HP 2570p, so.... is the EC link on the dells that is lacking, it seems.

 

Could you PM me your egpu result on 2570p?

Considering using 2570p for my portable gaming notebook using eGPU...

Thx b4...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noope, my system is the e6430 @1.1opt right now.

Anway, if you don't need absurb resolutions and filters than the performance are pretty good. CPU overclock +400 is nice and games actually use less bandwith that we think mostly of the time.

 

2570p is a very very nice machine too, but CPU limited with top i7 'cause the TDP limitation and no overclock capabilities. Oh well, and you could be LUCKY and have both :)

Edited by Dewos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I am planning to upgrade my e6430 cpu from i5 3340m which has tdp of 35w to i7 3940xm with tdp 55w, will I have any issues? Has anyone tried it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Ihab said:

Hi,

 

I am planning to upgrade my e6430 cpu from i5 3340m which has tdp of 35w to i7 3940xm with tdp 55w, will I have any issues? Has anyone tried it?

 

I have a 3920xm in an E6530. It will sustain the 55W TDP, but it won't use the 68W short term power limit. Other than the short term power limit it will work 100%. You'll even be able to overclock using the IFR method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.