14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

1 minute ago, viilutaja said:

Yes, I did. When exiting, it asks to press any key for reboot.

CPU is 3740QM.

You need to shut down in order for the change to take effect. Shutdown and then restart.

Also how did you set the var?

Just now, timohour said:

You need to shut down in order for the change to take effect. Shutdown and then restart.

Also how did you set the var?

Ok, I will try shutdown, but it automatically ask for reboot when writing "exit" for exiting the commandline.

I setup like this:

"setup_var 0x25 0x29" and enter. Then it shows previous value and new applied value. Then I write "exit"  . Then it asks to remove any bootable media and press a key for reboot. Press anykey and it reboots. No shutdown.
Should I just press power button to shutdown while in EFI commandline? 

Just now, viilutaja said:

Should I just press power button to shutdown while in EFI commandline? 

Yes.

Although it is not crucial you should set the rest too.

0x26 --> 0x28

0x27 --> 0x27

0x28 --> 0x27

And then press the power button.

you set 0x25 to 0x29 which translates to 1-Core-Ratio-Limit to x41

0x26 is for 2-Core-Ratio-Limit . your maximum turbo for 2 core is x36. Add the four unlocked bins x40 thus 0x28

3 and 4-Core-Ratio-Limit (0x27 & 0x28) is the same x35. Add the four unlocked bins x39 thus 0x27.

Edited by timohour

12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

And yeah changing offset 0x40 in the NVRAM did fix the bios lock issue. Putting the nvs5200m device ID back into the vbios fixed nothing. I'll try reattaching it at some point.

With an unlocked FD, and disabled bios lock (0x40->0x0) I had no problems flashing the BIOS region with FPT

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone

First off all many thx to all contributors here, this thread has been my week-end pass-time and it was great fun. I stumbled on this thread when looking for ways to get a i7-3630mq to work in my e6430.

And despite of time spend I still don't know the answer!

Exactly, calling myself a noob is a euphimism I think since other people calling themselves noobs in this thread go on and write a newbie guide some pages later.

But I'm getting to the end of my rope and it would be fantastic if you guys could just answer my basic question;

What do I have to do to just making this laptop boot with the i7-3630qm?

Is it even normal that it doesn't boot at all? I just started fiddling around in (dell) laptops a couple of weeks ago with no knowledge what so ever (well ok, I did build some desktops over the years) so when I found out this laptop has a socketed cpu I just tried to upgrade to an i7. 

I also have an i7-2630 that works fine so I thought I just had a faulty cpu, untill somebody pointed out the e6430 supports only up to 35x0, so that is what brought me here!

I managed to do everything talked about in this thread:

but since that didn't make the laptop boot with the i7-3630 I just thought to follow all the steps in the newbie guide.

Now I'm sitting here with a this dell in pieces, contemplating how the hell I attach the paperclip like described. I also found out i hace the iGPU board so if its necessary to flash the bios I actually have no clue how to do this while the pins/chip is located at the bottom of the laptop, halfly covered, etc..

So if you would be so kind, it would be very much aprecciated!

(non-native english speaker here, so sorry for any mistakes!)

@shutterofmouths

Any CPU that physically fits in the E6430 will work with no extra work. The 2630 and 3630 should both work 100% without you doing anything special. There is something else wrong with your laptop.

What does it do when you hit the power button? Does it at least power on, but you have a blank screen? Does it not even power up at all?

Edited by Khenglish

19 hours ago, shutterofmouths said:

hello everyone

I also have an i7-2630 that works fine so I thought I just had a faulty cpu, untill somebody pointed out the e6430 supports only up to 35x0, so that is what brought me here....

but since that didn't make the laptop boot with the i7-3630 I just thought to follow all the steps in the newbie guide....

Hello,

I agree totally with Khenglish. Since your 2630QM works your 3630QM should work too. On the first post you can see that there are people with Extreme CPUs so your 3630QM won't be a problem.

Is it possible that you purchased an E6420 instead of the E6430? This is the previous generation laptop that works with older CPUs... (no 3XXXM)

What's the CPU that came originally with your laptop? This could give a clue. You can also check with your Service Tag at dell support.

I have seen misleading auctions sometimes on eBay, selling an E6420 as an E6430.

Also there is no need to apply any mod to make your laptop identify your i7. It should work OOB. The thread you mention is to enable an OCing option which BTW is not available with your 3630QM.

Edited by timohour

20 hours ago, Khenglish said:

@shutterofmouths

Any CPU that physically fits in the E6430 will work with no extra work. The 2630 and 3630 should both work 100% without you doing anything special. There is something else wrong with your laptop.

What does it do when you hit the power button? Does it at least power on, but you have a blank screen? Does it not even power up at all?

15 hours ago, timohour said:

Hello,

I agree totally with Khenglish. Since your 2630QM works your 3630QM should work too. On the first post you can see that there are people with Extreme CPUs so your 3630QM won't be a problem.

Is it possible that you purchased an E6420 instead of the E6430? This is the previous generation laptop that works with older CPUs... (no 3XXXM)

What's the CPU that came originally with your laptop? This could give a clue. You can also check with your Service Tag at dell support.

I have seen misleading auctions sometimes on eBay, selling an E6420 as an E6430.

Also there is no need to apply any mod to make your laptop identify your i7. It should work OOB. The thread you mention is to enable an OCing option which BTW is not available with your 3630QM.

Well your answers are actually a little bit of a relief, if nothing else is wrong then probably the guy on ebay did sell me a faulty cpu.

What happens when I put the cpu in is the following:

The laptop first doesn't make any sound but the power button and caps lock button light up

Then the fan begins spinning very fast for like a couple of sec.

Then the laptop shuts down completely.

Screen remains black!

What do you guys think? Is what I describe above correct behaviour when the cpu is faulty? Shouldn't it boot to POST at least?

thx in advance!

1 minute ago, shutterofmouths said:

...The laptop first doesn't make any sound but the power button and caps lock button light up

Then the fan begins spinning very fast for like a couple of sec.

Then the laptop shuts down completely.

Screen remains black!

What do you guys think? Is what I describe above correct behaviour when the cpu is faulty? Shouldn't it boot to POST at least?

thx in advance!

Did you check if by any chance this is an E6420?

33 minutes ago, timohour said:

Did you check if by any chance this is an E6420?

Well I was thinking about the fact that I forgot to answer and I believe it is a 6430

1. the laptop says latitude 6430 on the back and front

2. the servicetag gives me 6430 on the dell website

3. was bought as an www.ibood.be deal as an refurbished e6430

edit: also, the original cpu on delivery was a i5-3360qm

Is there still a chance this not being a 6430?

also, what does it mean then when I take a look at this spec sheet that it says ;  ''Intel® Core™ i3, i5 and i7 processors up to i7-35x0M'' 

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/dell_latitude_e6430_spec_sheet.pdf

thx!

Edited by shutterofmouths

2 minutes ago, shutterofmouths said:

Well I was thinking about the fact that I forgot to answer and I believe it is a 6430

1. the laptop says latitude 6430 on the back and front

2. the servicetag gives me 6430 on the dell website

3. was bought as an www.ibood.be deal as an refurbished e6430

Is there still a chance this not being a 6430?

Nope. no way. Since you laptop boots with your 2630QM, it seems like the 3630QM you bought is dead. Spec sheets usually have the cpus that they ship the laptop with, not the compatible ones.

Hi everyone, I'm thinking to buy an E6430 laptop to make an egpu system in according to an P4EC and MSI gtx9604gb.. I have some doubt: is that laptop fully compatible with egpu via express card? I would use the laptop docked and closed and I need to have the video output from the egpu working also out windows; for example in bios, in boot order selecting menu and in Linux. At the moment I have a think pad t430 but it won't boot with a monitor attacked to egpu, I have to connect it after bios and it work only into Linux and windows.. I don't like that solution so I'm asking if the problems will go away using that e6430, thanks for the answers.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

1 minute ago, aldimeola81 said:

Hi everyone, I'm thinking to buy an E6430 laptop to make an egpu system in according to an P4EC and MSI gtx9604gb.. I have some doubt: is that laptop fully compatible with egpu via express card? I would use the laptop docked and closed and I need to have the video output from the egpu working also out windows; for example in bios, in boot order selecting menu and in Linux. At the moment I have a think pad t430 but it won't boot with a monitor attacked to egpu, I have to connect it after bios and it work only into Linux and windows.. I don't like that solution so I'm asking if the problems will go away using that e6430, thanks for the answers.

AFAIK once you connect the eGPU prior to boot every other gpu is disabled so you can use it with external screen only. This way though your iGPU will be disabled and you won't be able to take the performance advantage of the optimus compression.

Let others chime in before you make your decision though.

8 minutes ago, aldimeola81 said:

thanks but I need optimus compression at least into win for play 3d games..

If you need optimus compression you need to force iGPU as primary display... there is no otherway you can do it...

But as long as your monitor has a 2nd input (e.g) VGA you can use it to control boot selection by connecting it on the dock's or the laptop's VGA port and keep it disabled in Linux or Windows.

So you will use igpu output for your boot selection and egpu output for everything else. I believe it will be a better solution even for your current setup.

Edited by timohour

The t430 won't have any monitor connected at boot on egpu or it will stuck on thinkpad logo, so I've used an HDMI switch connecting laptop output and egpu output to the same monitor... But I have to switch every time I boot computer and I prefer a more clean solution..

If I connect two cables to same monitor, ( after windows start or it won't boot) , the data will go over igpu and the 3d performance goes slower also disabling the monitor into windows.. For that reason i'm searching a better solution, thanks.

6 minutes ago, aldimeola81 said:

If I connect two cables to same monitor, ( after windows start or it won't boot) , the data will go over igpu and the 3d performance goes slower also disabling the monitor into windows.. For that reason i'm searching a better solution, thanks.

That's not true. If you have two cables going to the same monitor you can choose which is active and inactive from the Display Settings (at least on the E6430) and disable the one wired to the iGPU.

The data then will go through the eGPU no loss...

Edited by timohour