Jump to content
Review: E-Win Champion Series Gaming Chair Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
timohour

14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

From my experience the memory will cap at 1866 mhz, even if higher is set in SPD and VRAM.

 

Here is BCLK enabled, flash descriptor unlocked, and x2 set on port 1. I can't remember if the system does x2 on port 1 or 3, so I guessed 1. Let me know if I guessed wrong and I'll send you an x2 on port 3.

 

file

 

 Can I check the port numbers without the Tech Inferno Fan's DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 program or I need to buy it?
Right now my Windows notified that WLAN card is not physically installed- when I first booted up after bios update.
I guess it is related to the port type/speed change? I then moved my WLAN card to WWAN port and used WWAN antennas and now it works.

Altough my wifi is now constantly switched ON. The wifi switch on the laptop side doesn't turn my WIFI OFF/ON anymore.
It only affects Bluetooth ON/OFF status. Any method to make it work again with WIFI?

Edited by viilutaja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, viilutaja said:

 Can I check the port numbers without the Tech Inferno Fan's DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 program or I need to buy it?
Right now my WLAN card said that it is not physically installed, when I first booted up. I guess it is related to the port type change? Moved my WLAN card to WWAN port and now it works.

Alltough my wifi is now constantly ON status, the wifi switch on the laptop side doesn't turn of my WIFI. It only affects Bluetooth ON or OFF. Any method to make it working again?

WWAN is port 1 and WLAN is port 2. It is disabled because you asked for x2.2 that means that port 2 is disabled.

Under the WWAN module there is another port (port5) I assume that you put your wifi there. Unfortunately I do not know of any way to enable/disable the WiFi with the hardware switch. you can do it through software though.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, viilutaja said:

Which of these adapters I should buy to get that 8Gbps speed over my PE4L 2.1b EC adapter I have right now?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=PE4C+V1.2&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XBplus+PE4C+V1.2.TRS0&_nkw=Bplus+PE4C+V1.2&_sacat=0

 

follow this link http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

and select PE4C-PM100C V2.1 along with PM100C v1.0 as you can see in the following screenshot

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

dod6Hof.png

 

That's a total of 103$ including s/h

 

Spoiler

hpUKlIh.png

 

If you want to use this adapter with your EC (and maybe sell the old adapter online) you can buy the PE4C-EC100C v2.1 along with 2 x PM100C v1.0. total cost will be $129.

 

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, timohour said:

 

follow this link http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

and select PE4C-PM100C V2.1 along with PM100C v1.0 as you can see in the following screenshot

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

dod6Hof.png

 

That's a total of 103$ including s/h

 

  Reveal hidden contents

hpUKlIh.png

 

If you want to use this adapter with your EC (and maybe sell the old adapter online) you can buy the PE4C-EC100C v2.1 along with 2 x PM100C v1.0. total cost will be $129.

 

Will I get the 8Gbps speed with the EC version of PE4C v2.1?  If I can get the 8Gbps through EC port alon it would be good, because I really do not want to mess with underside of the laptop (make a cut out).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, viilutaja said:

Ok so 2 cables from adapter to laptop (EC+mpci-e or mpcie+mpcie)?

 

This is only possible when using the two mpcie ports. You set the #1 PM100C in port 1 (WWAN) and the #2 PM100C in port 2 (WLAN).

I suggested you grab an extra EC100C adapter in case you want to give away your current adapter.

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.1.2016 at 5:31 AM, Khenglish said:

From my experience the memory will cap at 1866 mhz, even if higher is set in SPD and VRAM.

 

Here is BCLK enabled, flash descriptor unlocked, and x2 set on port 1. I can't remember if the system does x2 on port 1 or 3, so I guessed 1. Let me know if I guessed wrong and I'll send you an x2 on port 3.

 

file

 

 

Hi is it possible to have a modded version of my Bios where Flash Descriptor is open and  BCLK enabled, but all the ports are default?

As right now I don't have the PE4C 2.1 adapter to utilise those ports. 

 

This link for my original bios still works, if needed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46330482/ORIGINAL.BIN
Don't know how to thank you... :/


Does anybody have or know link for a FireStrike (2013) score to compare the exact same system (E6430 with same CPU and memory) with 4Gbps link and 8Gbps link with same GPU?

 

Edited by viilutaja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, viilutaja said:

 

Hi is it possible to have a modded version of my Bios where Flash Descriptor is open and  BCLK enabled, but all the ports are default?

As right now I don't have the PE4C 2.1 adapter to utilise those ports. 

 

This link for my original bios still works, if needed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46330482/ORIGINAL.BIN
Don't know how to thank you... :/

Does anybody have or know link for a FireStrike (2013) score to compare the exact same system (E6430 with same CPU and memory) with 4Gbps link and 8Gbps link with same GPU?

 

 

I created two file into this folder:

You can use FDx1 to set or ports @ x1 and FDx2 to set ports 1 & 2 @ x2.

 

Flash your Descriptor using

fpt -desc -f FDx1.bin 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I removed the g108 core for the nvs5200m and slapped on a 28nm gf117 core.

 

It doesn't work. The core and memory power up, indicating that the bgas really are compatable, but the gpu is not detected. The only sign of its existence is the TOLUD is not raising over 2.75gb. I did rip 3 solder pads off the motherboard getting the gf108 off, but the odds of one of these being required for gpu detection are very low. All 3 are likely uneccesary (likely power, gnd, display output, or unneeded part of pci-e), and I know they are not near the memory interface, which are really the only 100% required connections.

 

It looks like the gf108 vbios is not compatable with the gf117 core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khenglish said:

So I removed the g108 core for the nvs5200m and slapped on a 28nm gf117 core.

 

It doesn't work. The core and memory power up, indicating that the bgas really are compatable, but the gpu is not detected. The only sign of its existence is the TOLUD is not raising over 2.75gb. I did rip 3 solder pads off the motherboard getting the gf108 off, but the odds of one of these being required for gpu detection are very low. All 3 are likely uneccesary (likely power, gnd, display output, or unneeded part of pci-e), and I know they are not near the memory interface, which are really the only 100% required connections.

 

It looks like the gf108 vbios is not compatable with the gf117 core.

 

That's kind of weird. GF117 according to multiple sources was supposed to be Die-Shrink of the GF108 chip. Is it possible that your GF117(N13M-GS) chip is defective?

 

If you have a photo we can find out which pins were destroyed. I also think that it is highly unlikely those were crucial but just to be sure.

 

 

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, timohour said:

 

That's kind of weird. GF117 according to multiple sources was supposed to be Die-Shrink of the GF108 chip. Is it possible that your GF117(N13M-GS) chip is defective?

 

If you have a photo we can find out which pins were destroyed. I also think that it is highly unlikely those were crucial but just to be sure.

 

 

 

Do you have a ball description? I remember exactly where one is. The other 2 I remember within a few connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Khenglish said:

 

Do you have a ball description? I remember exactly where one is. The other 2 I remember within a few connections.

 

no but I could check through the schematics.

 

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is looking down as if you were looking at the motherboard. Pin 1 is in the lower right corner. The pad marked in red is definitely missing. For the orange blocks, one of the pads is missing within that block, but I'm not sure which because I put the chip on and can't see.

gf117missing.png

 

The memory interface half that is active (the chips supports 128-bit, but only 64 are used) is on the left side, and other than that there are not that many required connections for a GPU. PCI-E will downsize as needed if defective, and over half the pins are power and ground. There are very few connections that should be required to detect if a gpu is present.

 

I'm leaning towards incompatible vbios as the problem. For example, the driver sends some instructions (vbios stores gpu instructions) and expects a result, but since the instruction set is changed it doesn't get anything back. If I have a stencil for it though I'll reball it and use leaded solder. I did have a tough time with the unleaded using a heat gun, so it's possible it isn't on right. There are no shorts though so it probably is on right.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2016 at 7:10 AM, Khenglish said:

So this is looking down as if you were looking at the motherboard. Pin 1 is in the lower right corner. The pad marked in red is definitely missing. For the orange blocks, one of the pads is missing within that block, but I'm not sure which because I put the chip on and can't see.

 

The memory interface half that is active (the chips supports 128-bit, but only 64 are used) is on the left side, and other than that there are not that many required connections for a GPU. PCI-E will downsize as needed if defective, and over half the pins are power and ground. There are very few connections that should be required to detect if a gpu is present.

 

I'm leaning towards incompatible vbios as the problem. For example, the driver sends some instructions (vbios stores gpu instructions) and expects a result, but since the instruction set is changed it doesn't get anything back. If I have a stencil for it though I'll reball it and use leaded solder. I did have a tough time with the unleaded using a heat gun, so it's possible it isn't on right. There are no shorts though so it probably is on right.

 

Thanks, but I couldn't search without the photo from the board where every row has its letter. (I don't have mine around). I agree with you though that it must be a pin from the first RX-TX pair or one of very few pins used for detection in order for it to fail to be detected.

 

Do you think that it could be due to the incorrect setting of the straps? Or straps are only used after detection? I am sorry for my noob Q but never tried such a swap.
 

On these schematics pg. 22 you can see different straps used for different N13P chips and memory configurations. GF108 seems to be N13P-GL. I don't think it would help though.

On these pg. 4 it seems like our GF108 (N13P-GL) is probably interchangeable (same straps) with the GF119 (N13M-GE) which has 48 cores instead of 96...

The GK107? & (N13P-GS most probably GT640M or GT645M) would be a good bet too (according to the first schematics, & here).

 

 

 

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Khenglish said:

...

I'm leaning towards incompatible vbios as the problem

...

I could sucessfully replace the IRST and LAN UEFI modules with UBU. It has options for VBIOS updating also, just in case You din't know about this tool.

Edited by kondilac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@timohour since pin 1 is in the lower right, the bottom row in the image is row A, and column 1 is on the right.

 

@kondilac unfortunately there was no gf117 made with the same memory interface as the nvs5200, so no compatible vbios will exist. It would have to be a frankenvbios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

@timohour since pin 1 is in the lower right, the bottom row in the image is row A, and column 1 is on the right.

 

@kondilac unfortunately there was no gf117 made with the same memory interface as the nvs5200, so no compatible vbios will exist. It would have to be a frankenvbios.

 

You were right the red pin is B33 from pcie lane 14

 

IPlcCqU.png

 

and the other pins you mentioned are not used at all (mem channel B )

 

0T08zv9.png

 

another think I found which is worth mentioning is the fact that GK107 and GF117 are mentioned as compatible (at least the pinout)

 

qHkJCz0.png

 

Most probably a vBIOS issue. What do you mean no GF117 with the same memory interface as the nvs5200m?

 

 

Edited by timohour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@timohour

 

The nvs5200 has a 64-bit GDDR5 interface. All cards with a GF117 core have 64-bit DDR3 interfaces. Memory setup will be completely wrong if we try to copy/paste the whole vbios.

 

It's possible that the E6530 BIOS does not allow for pci-e downscaling. It needs to run x8 with the pad missing. I put a damaged 7970m that could only do x8 into a P150HM once and it did not run, and another undamaged 7970m worked fine. Meanwhile the P150EM did downscale the damaged card to x8 and worked fine. I could check if a sliver of the pci-e trace is left and try to get a ball on it, or maybe expose what's left of the trace and get a wire on. This is not something I will try for a while though as this will take a lot of time to do, and we're talking about a 96 shader fermi core here.

 

Also TY for the schematic info.

 

UPDATE:

 

So Prema is confident that the core cannot work with the GF108 vbios. I'm going to try a GF117 vbios and hope enough axillary stuff matches to at least get something out of it. It's possible the vbios will have a GDDR5 section in case GDDR5 is detected. Even if not the the should still be detected even with no functional memory.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any progress utilizing the PCIE lane 4(E-module)? I would really like to max out my system with x4.2. Is x4 configurable using any 2 of the miniPCIE + EC + modular bay  ME wise at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK aggregating the individual PCIE lanes to x2 or x4 must be configured in the ME FW, and not all configurations are working. Am i wrong in this?

 

Edited by kondilac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kondilac said:

AFAIK aggregating the individual PCIE lanes must be configured in the ME FW, and not all configurations are working. Am i wrong in this?

Kind of.

 

The changes you need to make are part of the descriptor region, not the ME. And yes you can set every combination of the following (tested myself)

port 1, 2, 3, 4 all @ x1

port 1 with 2 @ x2 port 3, 4 @ x1

port 1 with 2 @ x2 port 3 with 4 @ x2

port 1, 2, 3, 4 @ x4

 

Schematics show that port1 is WWAN port2 is WLAN port 3 is EC and port 4 is the modular bay.

There is no confirmation though that the modular bay is port 4 or that it can be enabled. I have been looking myself for the USB 3.0 bay to check if it is port 4 and which signal trigers its activation but I couldn't find it at a reasonable price (at least when I was searching). Also there is no hardware for the x4 connection, you need to build something yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, timohour said:

Kind of.

 

The changes you need to make are part of the descriptor region, not the ME. And yes you can set every combination of the following (tested myself)

port 1, 2, 3, 4 all @ x1

port 1 with 2 @ x2 port 3, 4 @ x1

port 1 with 2 @ x2 port 3 with 4 @ x2

port 1, 2, 3, 4 @ x4

 

Schematics show that port1 is WWAN port2 is WLAN port 3 is EC and port 4 is the modular bay.

There is no confirmation though that the modular bay is port 4 or that it can be enabled. I have been looking myself for the USB 3.0 bay to check if it is port 4 and which signal trigers its activation but I couldn't find it at a reasonable price (at least when I was searching). Also there is no hardware for the x4 connection, you need to build something yourself.

Thanks for the explanation. 

Making the custom hardware is the smaller problem, port 4 is the big deal. Maybe Dell could enlighten us regarding this part...

Can You tell me what is the case with the clock, reset and wake signals in x2, and x4 setups? Can i use them from any port in the bundle?

EDIT: I dont recall this was mentioned here before, but the schematics of the e6420 also shows port4 routed to the modular bay. I'm pretty convinced now regarding if it is there or not :D

Edited by kondilac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.