14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

1 hour ago, xsmile said:

This sounds like badly edited SetupPrep module. I didn't try it with A20 yet though.

Upload the attachment on an external site, I can't seem to access it here because of account restrictions.

Here is the A20 IFR.   In the case of SetupPrep bad edit I follow the guide from your post: search for SetupPrep and extract the body of the compressed section to a file named body.bin. With the help of IFR Extractor I extracted from body.bin a IFR file. I edited the IFR.txt with HxD and modify System Logs last 2 bytes (0B 80 to 01 04) and save that file as: body-mod.bin. With the help of UEFITool I insert that body-mod.bin in the dump BIOS and save it as bios-mod and write the modified bios from dos with fpt. So what am I doing wrong?! Thanks!

Spoiler
On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, aldimeola81 said:

I've bricked the laptop i think: the fan start spinning at maximum speed but nothing is displayed over screen, after a while it make self reboot, is there any way to fix that or is dead?

original bios

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cgbnh2jq3f30fjb/ORIGIN.BIn

flashed bios before death

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hz4c34pcs8lhc3b/fitch1.bin

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, aldimeola81 said:

with the Khenglish's help i've unbricked my e6430, reprogramming main and sub bios flash chip due an external programmer.

the programmer cost less than 10$ on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262417774441&alt=web

after downloading bin image for main and sub eeprom and flashed, the laptop is now working fine!

http://IMG_20160525_131031_zpshy61outl.jpg~orig

http://IMG_20160525_131040_zpsb5kz39np.jpg~orig

now i can overclock with reference clock but but i still can't overclock turbo value, the sliders works and  the xtu says there are 4 turbo bins that i can use but i can't go after stock value, i can only go back with multiplier.. any help? bye.

Hi, I've bricked my laptop too, this has the same symptoms as that of @ aldimeola81, I would like to know if I can unbrick it in the same way, these are my files:

Original BIOS:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZZLbYKk2IiX1hPd3EzTE9tZVk

Flashed BIOS before brick:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZZLbYKk2IiZWs3Q1lKbHMxcVU

Thank u, sorry for my bad english, i'm from México.

Regards.

On 4/15/2017 at 2:18 PM, Horizon said:

The laptop has 2 banks but we can do 16GB each per bank, is it still possible?

It's not possible to have 32GB of ram on E6430, someone try it and it wont boot.

I tried all BIOS (about 10 of them up to the latest A18, I think). 32G just didn't work. I got blinking lights upon bootup. CPU i5-3340M ...QM77 Express chipset. Memory advertised as DDR3L for low voltage. It's nameless. Chips have these numbers 1024X8DDR3 1514 .

On 5/16/2017 at 3:21 AM, xsmile said:

@twm You need to open your body.bin in a hex editor, not IFR.txt. I wish editing the BIOS was as easy as that :-)

Thanks for advice, I got that hiden menu, still I wish that there was a way to have all BIOS (F2) in text mode not in that laggy graphical one! Anyway I'm the proud possesor of an E6430 (i7-3740QM +16GB ddr3/1600MHz,dgpu (NVS5200), 2x 256MX100 SSD în soft raid (Btrfs)) who rocks.

DellE6430.png

Edited by twm
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After the death of my e6430 modded and overclocked and with an gtx980 attached, a death without any notice before, I turned to a lenovo thinkstation s30 with a xeon e5-1660, mounted the gtx980 and the difference is huge.. bye friend.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P2a42 utilizzando Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.  My question is not as technical as the things I am reading in this thread which are pretty incredible and is why I wanted to ask my question here.  I need help with replacing the video cable in my E6430.  I have the T6N3N screen to replace the lower resolution one that came with the laptop and I also ordered the JTC08 video cable as I was told I would need it to move to the better screen.  Replacing the screen looks easy enough but I have not been able to find any videos, how-to guides, etc. on how to replace the entire video cable.  Am I looking at completely gutting the laptop to get to the motherboard to attach the new cable?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time. 

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am a owner of e6430.

My current specs are:

i7 3740QM

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz

BIOS A18

Windows 10 64bit

I had no problem unlocking the flash descriptor. However, the true purpose of me doing the tweak is to overclock my processor and that has failed.

#1: I tried manually to modify my bios using FITC. I did everything guide said, flash was successful but Intels XTU tool did not let me overclock. 

#2: I tried flashing the provided bios E6430UCME.bin and that to did not let me overclock using Intels XTU Tool.

Does anyone have the proper way to get Intel XTU to work with BIOS A18 and running Windows 10?

Maybe someone could provide me with instructions or a bios backup with the modification for e6430 model. 

Thanks and much appreciation!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$

PS: Anyone who can help me setup overclocking with the XTU utility and XMP memory MOD I will gladly compensate you through paypal.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

My contact: [email protected]

Edited by Skimpypimp

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just got E6430, I'm feeling happy. But I have only 65W AC brick. I'll get my 90W one only on this Saturday. There was a seller mistake here. Can I do something with throttling my i5 3340m to 0.8GHz w/o any hardware mods? I have to do lots of 3D work tonight, and I can't use my desktop, only e6430 laptop.

And sorry for my English, I'm Russian ;D

Hi, Im the owner of an old E6330 with Intel i5-3380M , 16GB of mixed dual 8GB Kingston/Hynix OEM 1600 ram and HD4000 iGPU(which having the almost the same guts as E6430, minus the socketable CPU and GPU).
I found this thread and the contents was very helpful that I can overclock and tweaks much of my machine.
I will be soon to receive 2 x GSkill DDR3L 2133MHz 8GB CL11 F3-2133C11S-8GRSL from my relatives (used, removed from his old gaming laptop) which is great to have it. But I read in here that ppl with E6430 having problems with the 2133 kit and were forced to change the timing to CL12. Did I need to do the same or I just need to "plug n play" and enjoying it?
Thanks very much

• 9 months later...

I have the E6430 and updated the CPU with a I7-3840qm. 

It works great but  sometimes i think it has a cooling problem. 

If i test it with prime then it sometimes maxed out to 105 degrees.

And it's clocking down.

The original CPU was 35W TDP and this one is 45W TDP. 

So i think i am already going out of the original spec. 

Is it smart to do the cooling mod on this laptop with the extra heatsinks?

And will this work because with the normal heatsink design the air will go trough the heatsink. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, can anyone do backup of own E6430 with bios a21 or a22? I need dump of two bios chip under keyboard. I have flashed bios from web a14, because killed own. And now I have issue, I can't update bios in regular way and network adapter has error 10 and work only after turn it off, and then turn on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I just registered to ask: my e6430 has i5 3320m, nvs 5200 and a 130w charger. The processor idles or is usually working at 55-60 C temperatures. If i upgrade to i7 3740qm would there be heating problems and is the heat sink the same for all the configurations of the model? 

Thank you very much!

On 10.11.2018 at 9:34 PM, ivoet said:

Hello everyone.

I just registered to ask: my e6430 has i5 3320m, nvs 5200 and a 130w charger. The processor idles or is usually working at 55-60 C temperatures. If i upgrade to i7 3740qm would there be heating problems and is the heat sink the same for all the configurations of the model? 

Thank you very much!

I did just like you want. Yes you'll have overheating problem if you have one thermal tube, but you have two of it, so I think everything will be ok. Just use good quality thermal paste like MX4 and you can driill holes at the bottom case of laptop for more air (bottom case is from metal). And you can combine two copper two with little square pieces of copper (you can find on Ali) and thermal glue. I really want experiment with liquid metall, it's hard to find and cost more expensive than thermal paste.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 10:25 PM, Cats said:

I have a 6430s. Will these mods/overclocks work on my laptop. 16gb, i7-3320m and 2x 240 SSDs.

Your laptop is based on a different motherboard, with no removable CPU, etc. 

Most mods should work but you should investigate further.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my first time posting.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get my eGPU R9 380 to work with my Dell Latitude E6430. 

And THIS LAPTOP DOES HAVE SOME SORT OF BIOS WHITELIST OR VENDOR ID BLACKLIST OR SOMETHING on all 3 mPCIe slots. And from my testing and research, it does NOT affect the ExpressCard Slot in any way shape or form. 

I can prove it.

I have one of the less than $10 PCE164-008C mPCIe to 16x PCIe riser boards. 

I have done every possible thing to get this working. From Bios settings, hotplugging, DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 and 1.3x. MBR boot, UEFI boot, Clover boot. EFI variable settings with setup_var. Using port 1 (wwan), port 2 (wlan), and port 5 (1/2 mPCIe). Tried setting gen1 and gen2 speeds (x1.2 and x2.2) with Flash Image Tool. Wrapped the cable and board in case of interference. And did all tests in Win7, Win10, and Linux Mint. If you can think of a possible variation to get eGPU detection on an mPCIe slot, I tried it. 

eGPU just will not get detected. Period. No Exceptions.

I tested the graphics card in my buddy's gaming Desktop in case of faulty hardware. I tested the 16x riser board with a 1x pcie adapter and USB 2.0 cable.

And just to make sure my mPCIe adapter piece wasnt faulty or collecting interference, I jigrigged my old busted Dell Inspiron 1525 into life and hooked my eGPU assembly to it.

I never expected this rig to turn on let alone read the eGPU.

I have attached a pic of it plugged into the card and installed the drivers for the R9 380.

If anyone can help me mod the standard A23 or A20 bios from Dell to remove this block on the ports, I will GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. 

I have spent 90% of this weekend dumping and modifying and inspecting and reflashing my own bios trying to find this whitelisting or whatever it is and I have hit a roadblock. 

I will continue testing on my end so that I can get my assembly working but if anyone has any tips or insight, I would love to hear it.

Good thing is, this all lead me to building a gaming rig out of my old parts which so far is working quite well.

And Yes, I could get the EXP GDC or Expresscard or jigrig an adapter. 

BUT, thats really no fun at all. Too easy. 

Plus, I built my eGPU assembly for less than $100 and $50 for the R9 380. Go Kijiji.

And tell me that does not look cool?

Dell

Latitude E6430

i5-3360m 

8gb RAM (no dsdt override for Largememoryaddress just a couple bios efi variables)

Only iGPU (no discrete nvidia or ati dGPU) Intel HD 4000

Win10 64-bit+LinuxMint

UEFI+CLOVER bootloaders

And the miraculous Inspiron 1525

No clue about processor or iGPU

4gb RAM 

Atheros wlan card

4gb R9 380 eGPU

https://ibb.co/N3q0pGv
https://ibb.co/ypsJv0c
https://ibb.co/b70SXxJ
https://ibb.co/DQFBBDL
https://ibb.co/yRGGF7m
https://ibb.co/SPpX7BZ
https://ibb.co/gy255vQ

IMG_2692.jpg

Edited by Devo552

• 4 months later...

Hello, 

I have an E6430 with 3720QM processor,  nvidia M5200, 16GB DDR3L 1600 RAM upgrade. I use my laptop for work and it is docked 90% of the time. I'd like to get a little more performance out of it since i run multiple programs. What is the fastest CPU processor i can fit while still keeping the device safe and reliable? I have seen some user upgrade to 3840QM and have read about 3940QM get fitted. I am not interested in aggressive overclocking and prefer to keep the device safe.  Any feedback/advise/help on how i can boost the overall performance would be greatly appreciated.

As long as it is docked, or plugged in, you should not. Depending on what you are doing, it may run a couple degrees warmer than now. 

If you are not plugged in or docked and running on battery alone, it will drain faster due to the higher demand by the processor.

If you are running games, then yes it will run hotter than usual. 

My E6430 has a 3rd gen i7 in it now, and I run a R9 380 eGPU with it. And while running high demand games such as Monster Hunter top graphics settings and Need For Speed Payback, my computer does run hotter than normal, but the original fan and cooling unit are enough to keep it at a manageable level.

• Thumbs Up 1