14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Someone know what EPROM brand and model mount the e6430 as bios chip? A friend of mine has a programmer but need to know if the memory is supported, if someone got a picture of bios chip will be great! Thanks.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello.

Sorry for my english :)

I am new in this topic. 

I have  Dell  Latitude E6430 with OS X El Capitan installed.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 16.31.57.png

I have managed to work all hardware under OS X. OS updates like real mac )))))

I changed only two things:

- I remove stock wifi with BCM94322MC - native OS X support 

- I remove stock wwan with Huawei EM770 - add one string into info.plist to get it work 

* Not for OS X, but i changed DVD drive with opty bay - 1Tb HDD inside

Here is my full spec: i3-3110M*10GB*HD4000*BCM94322MC*Huawei EM770_WWAN*IDT_92HD93BXX*Intel_82579LM

I am planing to change processor with i7-3540M I don't have Optymus, I have only iGPU. So it is principal to me have 2 cores and iGPU with 1.3GHz without any tweaks )))))

I have a few questions.

What TPD has my cooling system?  

Can I remove stock keyboard with lighting keyboard?

Can I change screen with full HD resolution?

7 hours ago, Oleksii_S said:

I am planing to change processor with i7-3540M I don't have Optymus, I have only iGPU. So it is principal to me have 2 cores and iGPU with 1.3GHz without any tweaks )))))

I have a few questions.

What TPD has my cooling system?  

Can I remove stock keyboard with lighting keyboard?

Can I change screen with full HD resolution?

First of all I am positive that you don't have to pay a fortune a for an 2C i7 just to be able to run the iGPU @ 1.3GHz.
I think that you can easily OC your iGPU using UEFI variables with a $15 2C i5. No need to tweak anything in the OS so it doesn't matter if you have OSX or Windows. The same goes for i7 QC OC if you buy any of the i7-37X0QM or i7-38X0QM. Check the results here.

- Your laptop was designed for 35W 2C cpus but as you can see on the 1st page there are users that upgraded their iGPU E6430 with QC i7. The performance gain is stuggering compared to a 2C i7.

- Yeap, stock keyboard and backlit keyboard are interchangeable. You can also use the E6440 keyboard with blue fn buttons if you like.

- No, there is no 14" Full HD LVDS screen. Highest resolution is 1600x900. Keep in mind that if your laptop came with an 768p screen you will probably have to switch the screen cable too.

Edited by timohour

Thanks for replay! 

I think I don't need those power of full i7 cpu. I red Intel ARK site about Ivy Bridge family and figured out that this model of CPU ( i7-3540M ) is good for me. It has 35W TPD, iGPU 1.3GHz and 3000MHz of core power with a high Turbo Frequency profile. And I can by it in Poland for a 90$ )))))

What about tweaks ))) I am afraid to do it. ))))

I searched backlit keyboard  in the ebay and etc. All keyboards have pointer, mine don't have it. Can I use this keyboards on my laptop?

Edited by Oleksii_S
Update info

with the Khenglish's help i've unbricked my e6430, reprogramming main and sub bios flash chip due an external programmer.

the programmer cost less than 10$ on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262417774441&alt=web

after downloading bin image for main and sub eeprom and flashed, the laptop is now working fine!

http://IMG_20160525_131031_zpshy61outl.jpg~orig

http://IMG_20160525_131040_zpsb5kz39np.jpg~orig

now i can overclock with reference clock but but i still can't overclock turbo value, the sliders works and  the xtu says there are 4 turbo bins that i can use but i can't go after stock value, i can only go back with multiplier.. any help? bye.

Edited by aldimeola81
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

with the Khenglish's help i've unbricked my e6430, reprogramming main and sub bios flash chip due an external programmer.

the programmer cost less than 10$ on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262417774441&alt=web

after downloading bin image for main and sub eeprom and flashed, the laptop is now working fine!

http://

http://

now i can overclock with reference clock but but i still can't overclock turbo value, the sliders works and  the xtu says there are 4 turbo bins that i can use but i can't go after stock value, i can only go back with multiplier.. any help? bye.

You can't OC Turbo values through XTU. You have to use the UEFI variables as described here.

Edited by timohour
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

Done! Now work fine, thanks.

Could you share with us your build to add it on the first page?

On 20/5/2016 at 2:17 PM, Oleksii_S said:

Thanks for replay! 

I searched backlit keyboard  in the ebay and etc. All keyboards have pointer, mine don't have it. Can I use this keyboards on my laptop?

Yes you can. Also if you could share your build when you complete it.

Edited by timohour

Now I've overclocked the CPU but the temperature rise too fast, I would change the fan, I've the egpu only model, can I switch to the dgpu fan and use it with some dremeling modification? Thanks

Hello! 

Help me guys. I am searching  for backlit keyboard for my Dell

But i faced with difficulties. My Dell does not has pointer. All keyboards with RU layout have him. Will this keyboards work with my Dell?

I found on  ebay cool keyboard with blue buttons ))) but seller says thats she match only for Dell Latitude E6430u. Can I buy it?

*** blue buttons http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-Latitude-E6430u-Russian-keyboard-RU-backlit-backlight-/182001426512?hash=item2a60216050:g:Wd8AAOSwunJWFGxj

*** with pointer http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-For-Dell-Latitude-E6320-E6330-E6420-E6430-Keyboard-Russian-Backlit-Pointer-/161397588595?hash=item25940bc273:g:5IUAAOSwGvhT8V1~

Here is picture of my laptop https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzOELJcjIfSEVm11TVc5MTlMaTA/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Oleksii_S

Hey guys 

I got 3720QM ES (QBC1) i was able to get it to 4x4.0Ghz (40x/40x/40x/40x  ~8200 points in 3dmark2006 processor) setting UEFI variables but anything more than that causes windows to freeze while loading...

I tried Intel XTU but the multiplier sliders are gray and if UEFI vars are not set the multipliers are 32/31/30/30 (other people also reported this for this particular CPU.

Do you know a way to push that further? 

I read the whole thread. Big thanks to @badbadbad@Tech Inferno Fan, @Khenglish, and @timohour

I followed some of their guides. Know that i will have throttling issues and so on but could not find if setting higher multis is possible.

BTW i have the latest BIOS A18 do you think that will be a problem as well? Will i be able to flash an older "unlocked"/modified bios?

Edited by deathwingbg

On 30/5/2016 at 4:50 PM, Oleksii_S said:

Hello! 

Help me guys. I am searching  for backlit keyboard for my Dell

But i faced with difficulties. My Dell does not has pointer. All keyboards with RU layout have him. Will this keyboards work with my Dell?

I found on  ebay cool keyboard with blue buttons ))) but seller says thats she match only for Dell Latitude E6430u. Can I buy it?

*** blue buttons http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-Latitude-E6430u-Russian-keyboard-RU-backlit-backlight-/182001426512?hash=item2a60216050:g:Wd8AAOSwunJWFGxj

*** with pointer http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-For-Dell-Latitude-E6320-E6330-E6420-E6430-Keyboard-Russian-Backlit-Pointer-/161397588595?hash=item25940bc273:g:5IUAAOSwGvhT8V1~

Here is picture of my laptop https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzOELJcjIfSEVm11TVc5MTlMaTA/view?usp=sharing

I suppose that any of these keyboard will work. I think that I  have seen the blue buttoned E6440 keyboard (not the E6430u) to work great on the E6430, but haven't tested my self.

I am sure though that the other one with the pointer will work on ANY E6430 even if your original laptop won't have a pointer.

1 hour ago, aldimeola81 said:

Is normal to see a slow transfer speed in that laptop with an ssd? I see only sata2 connection ( I was expecting sata3) and 230 MB/s at 512k and 130MB/s at 64k.. ..why so slow?

No it is not... You are supposed to see full sata III speeds... Could you elaborate on the SSD (model etc.)?

25 minutes ago, deathwingbg said:

Hey guys 

I got 3720QM ES (QBC1) i was able to get it to 4x4.0Ghz (40x/40x/40x/40x  ~8200 points in 3dmark2006 processor) setting UEFI variables but anything more than that causes windows to freeze while loading...

I tried Intel XTU but the multiplier sliders are gray and if UEFI vars are not set the multipliers are 32/31/30/30 (other people also reported this for this particular CPU.

Do you know a way to push that further? 

I read the whole thread. Big thanks to @badbadbad@Tech Inferno Fan, @Khenglish, and @timohour

I followed some of their guides. Know that i will have throttling issues and so on but could not find if setting higher multis is possible.

BTW i have the latest BIOS A18 do you think that will be a problem as well? Will i be able to flash an older "unlocked"/modified bios?

There is probably no way to go higher than 4x40 with that chip... Did you test on another laptop and you got higher than that?  What PSU you are using?

It is possible that you need an 90W or even better an 130W PSU. This is an ES chip and I don't know its limits. My stock 3720QM is locked and won't go over 1C x40 2C x39 3C/4C x38...

If you have a powerful enough PSU your problem is probably that there is not enough voltage, but on the E6x30 there is no way (that I have found) other than hardware mod to overvolt or undervolt the CPU.

Also, Intel XTU multiplier slider will only activate if you set the UEFI variables. On any other occasion they will be stuck to the stock multipliers.

Suggestions to push further:

- enable BCLK OCing. This will probably push the 4C 4GHz limit a little further and will also slightly OC RAM frequency etc.

- set a more flexible 1C x42 2C x41 3C/4C x40 for better single/dual core performance.

Edited by timohour
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you!

Actually it uses very low voltage for 40x ~1.09V (will post pictures later as i am at work) and draws ~47W max ... the PSU is 90W (Nvidia model). Already ordered 120W universal PSU to avoid throttling as suggested.

I observed erratic throttling using different benchmark tools. Temps were OK ~90c

Will experiment more with the UEFI variables.

BCLK will be nice if i have the time. I am running the RAM at 1866Mhz (was not able to push it to 2133) 2x8GB Crucial (ct102464bf160b)

@ timorhour

I got two ssd: Samsung 830 128gb sata 2 and Toshiba 256gb ( I don't remember the model but is sata 3) the Samsung is connected internally and the Toshiba on esata port over docking station.

Into Ubuntu the speed is better but not good as expected.. around 270 MB/s for twice.

I use windows 8.1 pro and I've reinstalled official drivers with same result.

@ timorhour

I got two ssd: Samsung 830 128gb sata 2 and Toshiba 256gb ( I don't remember the model but is sata 3) the Samsung is connected internally and the Toshiba on esata port over docking station.

Into Ubuntu the speed is better but not good as expected.. around 270 MB/s for twice.

I use windows 8.1 pro and I've reinstalled official drivers with same result.

OK... that's your issue

This a QM77 chipset that has only 2 SATA III ports (hdd slot and odd). Any other port you connect will be SATA II only...

You can connect the Toshiba internally and check that it will utilise full SATA III speeds...

e-sata ports on both the laptop and the dock are SATA II

@timohour

Tried and it worked, thanks! Now is sata 3..

BUT.. the speed in not so great , hdtune pro in standard mode in read test give me a minimum of 194MB/s.. And a maximum of 250Mb/s.. i think is too low.. on my old thinkpad  with sata2 only i’ve seen 280mb/s ..

HD Tune Pro: TOSHIBA THNSFJ256GCSU Information

Firmware version : JULA1102

EDIT: APPEAR TO BE FIXED NOW.

i've tried to benchmark with atto:

Nuova immagine bitmap.bmp

Edited by aldimeola81

The  3720QM ES (QBC1) won't go for 41x even for 1 core... at 40x while benching i get hardware errors. Still cannot figure out why... Maybe the power supply is not enough or it does not like the heat. 
Will test more today. Also i am not quite sure it measures the Voltage correctly as i think 1.09 is too low for 40x.
IS there possibility OS/drivers to be the problem since i replaced the working 3720QM ?
Here is the SS as promised. 
fLRWl6G.png

OK found the issue ... I set the multis back to 40x/39x/38x/38x started Intel XTU and measured 110W at the power plug ... which equals ~90W as the PSU is rated. The Benchmark was TDP trottling.

The "CPU package power" went up to 53W+

Edited by deathwingbg

Power supplies don't cause throttling. Your laptop won't sense that it is at the psu power limit and throttle itself. Instead power supplies just turn off if their current rating is exceeded. In the case where the power supply is too weak its not so much as your laptop is throttling but instead that it is running on battery.

Some power supplies automatically turn back on after a few seconds, but most stay off until you unplug them from the wall and plug them back in.

Your problem is the cpu's low default vid table. You need to set the "additional turbo voltage" in ifr to raise the voltage. I can't remember if latitudes have access to this or not though.

Edited by Khenglish

I'm thinking of update my e6430 with two of 8 GB @2133, are there some compatibility list issue or I can buy everything in that so-ddr3 standard? I would go at 2133 clock and i won't overclock mine ram. Thanks

@timorhour

I'm doing some customization to the cooling system of the e6430: with very hard work I've mounted the dgpu cooler over igpu only laptop.. Works better than the original

But I got a question: why the IFR values about CPU multiplier are not taken correctly? I'm using 40-39-38-38 and I would use 39-38-37-37 for increase stability during heavy gaming session.. I can't step down from the maximum values with IFR only? If i do so, nothing change .. I don't want to use xtu cause I have also a non windows o.s. thanks.

Edit: sorry for my stupidity.. Solved