14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Hi everyone..

My e6430 is on the way, with i5-3320m and 8gb ram, i've bought a docking station too..  maybe it will arrive tomorrow or today, I’ve read the first page of this topic and several pages after but i need some advice:

what upgrade cpu is better for egpu purposes  and overclock? i don't want to build an extreme warm pc , so i was thinking about an i7-3820qm or i7-3720qm, with +400 mhz overclock i think they will go really fast and are priced not so high..

what is an easy and permanent way to overclock system before windows and without using any partition and software? using a custom bios is not enough? the paperclip method is the right way?

sorry for many answer but i always owned lenovo thinkpads and i don't know nothing about dell .

thanks.

the e6430 is arrived, 8gb ram and i5-3320m,  256 gb ssd, docking station...  i've connected at my pe4c 3.0 with an msi gtx 960 4gb  and it worked in windows and linux too, the signal goes out from the egpu to external monitor from bios to O.S., GOOD!!

in fact the igpu appear as disabled when i connect the egpu before booting, anyway the 3d gaming performances are good, 3dmark06 give me 20800 as score, on lenovo t530 with similar specs, i give 21400 having igpu +egpu enabled, but inside real games, e.g. gta5,  the performances was worst than now.

i've done some little modding to cool down the cpu cause the fan is always running connecting the heatpipes to metal frame with a thermal pad, and i noticed a slower temperature and noise.

any advice? i would increase gaming performances if possible, what can i upgrade? thanks to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like I totally fucked up today... 

I changed the EFI variables and disabled the igpu. But I didn't took into account that my EC was set to gen2 with which my egpu doesn't work. 

So now simply cannot boot even into BIOS.

Is there any solution to my problem? Is it possible to somehow 'hardwarely' reset the EFI variables, or have I bricked my laptop? 

Edited by Airat

49 minutes ago, Airat said:

Seems like I totally fucked up today... 

I changed the EFI variables and disabled the igpu. But I didn't took into account that my EC was set to gen2 with which my egpu doesn't work. 

So now simply cannot boot even into BIOS.

Is there any solution to my problem? Is it possible to somehow 'hardwarely' reset the EFI variables, or have I bricked my laptop

Hi. Just unplug the charger and the battery, plus remove the bios battery.
Wait a few seconds or a few minutes and your laptop should boot up normally with all EFI back to their defaults and also all its bios settings to their defaults.
I've tested this, and it works for me.

5 hours ago, Tempest said:

Hi. Just unplug the charger and the battery, plus remove the bios battery.
Wait a few seconds or a few minutes and your laptop should boot up normally with all EFI back to their defaults and also all its bios settings to their defaults.
I've tested this, and it works for me.

I left the charger and both the batteries unplugged for the whole night and have pressed the power button for 10-15 secs before putting batteries back (as it is recommended by some manuals, in order to discharge all the capacitors inside the laptop). Unfortunately it didn't have any effect, and I still cannot boot the laptop. 

I also found a comment here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-reset-bios-cmos-on-latitude-e6400.394528/

As far as I understood him, the guy says that Dell E-series use some kind of memory which doesn't depend on energy to store bios settings and there is no way to reset them by pulling out the batteries. 

Are you sure that you tested this method for dell e6430 and not some other laptop? 

51 minutes ago, Airat said:

I left the charger and both the batteries unplugged for the whole night and have pressed the power button for 10-15 secs before putting batteries back (as it is recommended by some manuals, in order to discharge all the capacitors inside the laptop). Unfortunately it didn't have any effect, and I still cannot boot the laptop. 

I also found a comment here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-reset-bios-cmos-on-latitude-e6400.394528/

As far as I understood him, the guy says that Dell E-series use some kind of memory which doesn't depend on energy to store bios settings and there is no way to reset them by pulling out the batteries. 

Are you sure that you tested this method for dell e6430 and not some other laptop? 

Yes it usually works for the E6430 without problems... what do you mean you can not boot to BIOS? Do you own the iGPU or the dGPU model? What happens when you start up your computer? could you be more specific? what happens when you start up? fan starts? led flash? screen backlight on or off?

you may  be able to make the change blindly or use an old pci-e card that runs by default  @ x16.1

6 hours ago, timohour said:

Yes it usually works for the E6430 without problems... what do you mean you can not boot to BIOS? Do you own the iGPU or the dGPU model? What happens when you start up your computer? could you be more specific? what happens when you start up? fan starts? led flash? screen backlight on or off?

you may  be able to make the change blindly or use an old pci-e card that runs by default  @ x16.1

All the changes in EFI var-s I've made:

Setting: Primary Display, Variable: 0x1D4

Option: Auto, Value: 0x3

Option: IGFX, Value: 0x0

Option: PEG, Value: 0x1

Option: PCI Bus, Value: 0x2

Setting: Internal Graphics, Variable: 0x1D8

Option: Auto, Value: 0x2

Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0

Option: Enabled, Value0x1

Setting: PCIe Speed, Variable: 0xB4

Option: Auto, Value: 0x0

Option: Gen1, Value: 0x1

Option: Gen2, Value: 0x2

I have dGPU model.

When I press the power button, the battery charging indicator turnes on and the hdd indicator blinks one time. Also the CAPSLOCK indicator blinks one time. Fan doesn't start. The laptop screen doesn't turn on. Connecting external monitor to VGA-port doesn't help. If I connect eGPU (and the external monitor via eGPU) the monitor also doesn't start (because PCIe was set to gen2). After some time (~ 10 sec, but that time varies) the laptop reboots with silent (not too loud) beep-sound. 

If i press power button while the laptop is still on, the fan starts working and after 1-2 seconds it shuts down.

I tried blindly changing the variables, but it seems that i couldn't enter the EFI Shell, because sometimes the laptop reboots while I'm still spaming the F12 button on trying to blindly navigate through boot options.

By "old pci-e card" do you mean some old graphic card  (something like GeForce 7600)?

Will it even be recognized by laptop (because PCIe Speed is set to gen2)?

Edited by Airat

On 5/4/2016 at 4:20 PM, Airat said:

By "old pci-e card" do you mean some old graphic card  (something like GeForce 7600)?

Will it even be recognized by laptop (because PCIe Speed is set to gen2)?

Yep. Using an old card will most probably automatically set the link to gen1 since your card will only run @ gen1 speeds. I think that's your best bet right now.

If it is easy to find an old gpu, try that and tell us if it works. also check your HDMI port. The VGA port is connected on your iGPU which you disable. HDMI is connected on the dGPU.

Edited by timohour

On 07.04.2016 at 2:30 PM, timohour said:

Yep. Using an old card will most probably automatically set the link to gen1 since your card will only run @ gen1 speeds. I think that's your best bet right now.

If it is easy to find an old gpu, try that and tell us if it works. also check your HDMI port. The VGA port is connected on your iGPU which you disable. HDMI is connected on the dGPU.

Using HDMI port didn't work - nothing changes if i connect the monitor via hdmi. The same with DVI port in dock station.

Thanks, I'll try pcie 1.0 card and report the results.

By the way, what do PCI_Bus (0x2) and PEG (0x1) option for Primary Dispay setting mean, what's the difference between them?

Edited by Airat

On 08.04.2016 at 4:07 PM, Airat said:

I'll try pcie 1.0 card and report the results. 

Finally found old GF 7600GT and tried using it. Didn't work.

Now I'll try to flash bios using that method - http://eddiejackson.net/wp/?p=3730

I've unpacked .hdr file with that script - http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/44785-I-present-you-a-tool-to-decompress-Dell-UEFI-BIOS

However, i don't know the correct name for the .hdr file. Anyway so far i haven't found a single report about successful bios flashing with this method on Dell Latitude E6xxx.

Probably, I'll have to have my motherboard's BIOS flashed in a service center. Or will just buy a replacement.

Finally did it =)

So here is the guide of how to flash bios on Dell Latitude, if laptop doesn't boot (eg previous bios update failed).

First you fill have to use python script (see comment above) and unpack .hdr file from bios .exe. Then you'll have to rename it. I don't know the exact correct name, so i created multiple copies: PSF.hdr, 1APTJ021.hdr, E643018.hdr and E6430A18.hdr (exe file name was E6430A18.hdr. I also created 1APTJ021.hdr because there was "1APTJ021.rom" text in .hdr file, when I opened it with hex-editor).

Put these files to flash-drive formatted to FAT (not FAT32, must have less that 4gb memory) and plug it in your laptop's usb port. 

Then pull out power cord and battery. After that hold END and powerbutton and plug in power cord back. Laptop will go into bios flashing mode (battery icon blinks) and reboot after some time.

That's it.

However in my case bios settings (the ones I wrote about 3 comments above) didn't reset, when I flashed A18 bios (the same which motherboard already had) - my internal screen still didn't work. But i was able to boot into windows and even open device manager (with help of windows narrator). Turned out there was only nvs5200 connected (and enabled). I disables it via device manager and tried connecting eGPU - still no effect. Then i tried flashing A03 bios from .exe but the installing failed! Then in tried flashing A03 from hdr-file, two times: first failed and secon was successful. Again the display didn't work (somehow variables still didn´t reset to default).

So i fugured I'll boot to EFI shell and blindly change variables. After changing variables I sent my laptop to reboot ("reboot" command in efi shell). But laptop didn't boot again (couldn't pass POST check?). 

Then I flashed A18 again from hdr, and this time after flashing bios laptop went to diagnostic mode and the screen was finally working!

update: turned out that after last procedure (flashing A18 from .hdr) bios version is A09. However, I don't remember downloading E6430A09.exe. Maybe A09 is the version which was flashed my manufacturer and motherboard somehow reset it's bios to default version?

Edited by Airat
  • Thumbs Up 1

What are my chances of setting up eGPU on the e6420 i7 2720qm with expresscard, its the intel hd3000 version no discrete graphics. i was going for a pe4c 3.0 and have yet to pick my video card. still trying to get advice on a few i have picked out before i buy them (feel free to look here and give your opinions) https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/4ds066/dell_latitude_e6420_with_expresscard_possible/

I've done a lot of research since posting the thread but I'm still not aware of what gen speeds im going to get with only the expresscard (i just want to plug and play for now but if it would be possible to double up on my pci slots let me know please!)

its great to get any info i can before i take the 300 dollar plunge. I am also still kind of at a lose on weather to choose the r7 370 or the gtx 750 ti or 660 and if my video ram is going to matter much just for gaming. I should note that i only plan to game on the external display so will nvidia optimus still help by compressing bandwidth?

any questions you can answer will help a lot!

EDIT~ and by chances of setting it up I mean chances that it will come together without too much persuasion.

also heres one that i have yet to see anywhere, after installed does my internal run off of the iGPU while im also running the external display off the eGPU? or does it run off the eGPU as well (while both are on?)

Edited by organic_insanity

On 19.04.2016 at 4:23 PM, organic_insanity said:

What are my chances of setting up eGPU on the e6420 i7 2720qm with expresscard, its the intel hd3000 version no discrete graphics. i was going for a pe4c 3.0 and have yet to pick my video card. still trying to get advice on a few i have picked out before i buy them (feel free to look here and give your opinions) https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/4ds066/dell_latitude_e6420_with_expresscard_possible/

I've done a lot of research since posting the thread but I'm still not aware of what gen speeds im going to get with only the expresscard (i just want to plug and play for now but if it would be possible to double up on my pci slots let me know please!)

its great to get any info i can before i take the 300 dollar plunge. I am also still kind of at a lose on weather to choose the r7 370 or the gtx 750 ti or 660 and if my video ram is going to matter much just for gaming. I should note that i only plan to game on the external display so will nvidia optimus still help by compressing bandwidth?

any questions you can answer will help a lot!

EDIT~ and by chances of setting it up I mean chances that it will come together without too much persuasion.

also heres one that i have yet to see anywhere, after installed does my internal run off of the iGPU while im also running the external display off the eGPU? or does it run off the eGPU as well (while both are on?)

I would advice you to go with 750ti. I myself have tried 750ti and 960gtx with both e6220 (i5-2520m) and e6430 (i7-3720qm), and I can say that there is no significant difference in ingame performance when you compare 750 and 960. Because pcie gen1 x1 connection doesn't allow powerful cards to show their full potential. Most definitely you will face fps drops in some games even if you buy 980ti (e.g. when the new piece of location is loaded into card's memory). 

In my case 960 shows much better benchark results, than 750. But concerning games I personally would say that paying 2 times more and buying 960 wasn't worth it.

Now about pci-e gen. When I first bought both my laptops (6220 and 6430) they both were able to maintain stable gen2 connection. Suddenly 6220 started working with egpu on gen2 speeds only if I was using very powerful powerbrick (120W, before that i used 60W and everything was okay). However maybe it wasn't wattage but the voltage quality that caused this problem, because without power-cable gen2 was also working.

Later 6430 also started expiriencing problems with gen2 speeds, but I still cannot figure out how to fix that and have to use 6430+960 on gen1 speed.

The bottom line is I wouldn's seriously count on gen2 speed with your expresscard slot/ And you'll probably have to force EC work at gen1 speed via EFI shell.

Edited by Airat

thanks for the info you have been the most helpful out of anyone that has replyed to me! I'm gonna go for a desktop tho after finding just a few too many good deals on parts while researching this i realized i could save just enough to get a good desktop started and with another good investment could future proof that desktop pretty well (before i thought i was gonna have to pay a lot up front to get a nice one which is why i was just gonna opt for the cheap) but once i have my desktop upgraded i'll have a spare PSU and i will surely be on the lookout for this eGPU stuff on sale and new updates because its just too cool and its the kind of thing i think i would enjoy a lot just to see if i could get it working.

I am still interested in overclocking the i7 2720qm in my e6420. along with the ram if possible but it seems a little over my head and I have it cooling good as well since it never gets moved i took the bottom panel off and i have a cooler on it 24/7 and i can also thermal paste it and add a vac cooler to the outside if i get bad temps on the O/C.  ANY suggestions on what i should look up to start this?

I already have connected a gtx960 to my e6430… everything stock.. it works good in 2.0 over windows 8.1 and linux ...But I want more performance cause GTA 5 have some small stuttering playing on external fhd display.. at the moment the internal igpu is disabled automatically, if I'll enable it using var mod or modified bios, the gaming performance will go better or will be the same? Or is better to upgrade my i5-3360m to some quad core i7?

Thanks

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

3 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

I already have connected a gtx960 to my e6430… everything stock.. it works good in 2.0 over windows 8.1 and linux ...But I want more performance cause GTA 5 have some small stuttering playing on external fhd display.. at the moment the internal igpu is disabled automatically, if I'll enable it using var mod or modified bios, the gaming performance will go better or will be the same? Or is better to upgrade my i5-3360m to some quad core i7?

Thanks

Are you doing an x1 or an x2 link? If you're doing x1 then yes you will get a big performance improvement by disabling the dgpu and enabling the igpu.

Yes the link is already x2 but the igpu is automatically disabled when I connect the egpu at boot, the compatibility is great, the monitor connected to egpu works in bios too and everywhere without any problems but I'm asking if I'm losing some speed so instead having the igpu enabled.

Thanks

I've decided to try.. To enable the igpu , so I've done paperclip mod, unlocked flag descriptor , flashed modified bios.. And now I'm stucked on the latest part: the guide say I need to have an USB with grub boot loader and the boot64.efi file, but I've tried some versions of grub for DOS and none of them recognize the command setup_var, if I use only the boot64.efi in boot/efi,I got error cause there isn't any operating system and I have to reboot.. .... What's the problem? Thanks.

Now i've solved but when I enter setup_var command, the system say: guid not match expected guid , continue with care, successfully obtained setup variabiles.. Offset setup is 0x00 .. But the offset remain always the same and it doesn't change anything

@aldimeola81 

If you have connected your eGPU with an x2.2 connection then you will see no difference if you enable the iGPU. If you are using an x1.2 connection  as Khenglish said you will see a boost in performance. 

There is no need to unlock your flash descriptor in order to change the uefi variables. you only need to unlock your FD in order to flash a modified MEFW and apply BCLK OC, set the SB ports @ x2.2 or x4.2 or generally flash user-modified BIOS.

Ignore the error message. Proceed with caution though, change only things that you need. Check here how to enable iGPU and/or internal screen when you are using an eGPU prior to boot.

@aldimeola81 

If you have connected your eGPU with an x2.2 connection then you will see no difference if you enable the iGPU. If you are using an x1.2 connection  as Khenglish said you will see a boost in performance. 

There is no need to unlock your flash descriptor in order to change the uefi variables. you only need to unlock your FD in order to flash a modified MEFW and apply BCLK OC, set the SB ports @ x2.2 or x4.2 or generally flash user-modified BIOS.

Ignore the error message. Proceed with caution though, change only things that you need. Check here how to enable iGPU and/or internal screen when you are using an eGPU prior to boot.

Yes but when i set to enabled I should see the Intel video card over windows, and I don't see nothing..i'll try to set also the primary display , thanks. I'm using pe4c at 2.0 speed connected to expresscard. i have any chance of overclocking my i5-3360m with the o.c. bios? Can I brick system setting some overclock if it's unsupported by CPU? The paperclip can be removed or not ? thanks.

10 minutes ago, aldimeola81 said:

Yes but when i set to enabled I should see the Intel video card over windows, and I don't see nothing.. I'm using pe4c at 2.0 speed connected to expresscard, i have any chance of overclocking my i5-3360m with the o.c. bios? thanks.

ok. Your connection is x1.2 meaning that you will benefit if have the iGPU enabled. Do you have an iGPU/dGPU model or iGPU only?

If you have the dGPU model do you have Optimus enabled?

You can OC your i5 using BCLK OC for almost 5% @ maximum of 3.6GHz ... no unlocked multipliers on any dual cores...

Edited by timohour