14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

45 minutes ago, kondilac said:

First, i would make sure that the BIOS is in factory state. Removing the main battery, and then the CMOS batery for a minute will revert everything to factory settings (also the SATA mode to RAID!!!)

And then try to boot with one stick only, and then 2. Please describe the behaviour (black screen only, or you can get into BIOS, etc.) If no success, try loosening the command rate to 2.

If 2133 @CR2 does not work at all, try setting  Memory Frequency, Variable: 0x1E6 to 0x4 (1867Mhz). You should be able to boot without problems, at factory timings. If this works out, and You would like to experiment, you should try setting the custom memory settings, esspecially loosening the CAS latency to 12 (I have no idea where did my post with the variables go BTW...)  For this, You have to enable custom ram setting using EFI var 0x1EE to 0x1, then tCL , Variable: 0x1FE to 0xC (=12)

EDIT: Maybe try setting EFI var "DDR Selection": 0x1E9 to 0x0, to set the voltage to 1.5V instead to 1.35. Maybe the stick internally regulate the VIN to 1.35 anyway, but if not then it could help. If i will have time, i will also try this, and check if i could raise the BCLK a bit. But most likely the memory controller of the CPU is the weak part of the system, and i guess only loosening the timings will help.

Thanks for your answer. tried these settings, with following results:

• CMOS Reset, booting with 1 Stick @ 2133 possible. boot with 2 Sticks is not possible. Pressing PowerButton starts the System, ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • setting EFI var  0x1EF to 0x2EFI var 0x1EE to 0x1 no boot at all, doesn't matter if 1 or 2 Sticks, ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • CMOS Reset, 0x1e6 at 0x04 (1867) boot with both sticks possible. setting 0x1EE to 0x1 makes the system unbootable again.  ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • CMOS Reset, 0x1e6 at 0x04 (1867) boot with both sticks possible. setting 0x1EE to 0x1 and 0x1FE to 0xC makes the system unbootable again.  ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • CMOS Reset, 0x1EF at 0x02,  0x1EE at 0x1,  0x1E9 at 0x0, still not able to boot.  ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown

1 hour ago, captnastro said:

Thanks for your answer. tried these settings, with following results:

• CMOS Reset, booting with 1 Stick @ 2133 possible. boot with 2 Sticks is not possible. Pressing PowerButton starts the System, ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • setting EFI var  0x1EF to 0x2EFI var 0x1EE to 0x1 no boot at all, doesn't matter if 1 or 2 Sticks, ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • CMOS Reset, 0x1e6 at 0x04 (1867) boot with both sticks possible. setting 0x1EE to 0x1 makes the system unbootable again.  ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • CMOS Reset, 0x1e6 at 0x04 (1867) boot with both sticks possible. setting 0x1EE to 0x1 and 0x1FE to 0xC makes the system unbootable again.  ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown
  • CMOS Reset, 0x1EF at 0x02,  0x1EE at 0x1,  0x1E9 at 0x0, still not able to boot.  ScreenOff, after few seconds shutdown

OK, one thing is sure now, if custom timings are enabled, your system wont boot. You should try CMOS reset, 1 stick only, 0x1EF to 0x2. It should boot into windows, and there you should check with CPU-Z or AIDA that the CR2 is set to 2.

After this is working properly, we should get custom timings working with 1 stick, because we know that the memory controller can run 1 stick at factory timings, first do a CMOS reset, and set the DIMM profile to custom (0x1EE to 0x1) and configure the timings to factory settings:

tCL = 11 [0x1FE -> 0xB]

tRCD= 12 [0x1FF -> 0xC]

tRP = 13 [0x200 -> 0xD]

tRAS = 35 [0x201 -> 0x23]

tRC = 48 [0x209 -> 0x30]

tRFC = 278 [0x204 ->0x116]

tRRD = 6 [0x206 ->0x6]

tWR = 17 [0x203 ->0x11]

tWTR = 9 [0x207 ->0x9]

tRTP = 9 [0x208 ->0x9]

tFAW = 27 [0x20B ->0x1B]

It should boot, but if not first double check if i done the conversion from DEC->HEX good, and the respecting EFI vars. Since these are the factory timings it should boot up fine, as if JEDEC profile.

Edited by kondilac

only changing 0x1EF doesn't seem to do anything, CPU-Z still shows 1T

yeah, came to the same conclusion. my timings are 11-12-13-34. Tried those of timohour, CL12-12-12-36, wasn't able to boot too...

0x1EF at 0x1
0x1EE at 0x1
0x1FE at 0xC
0x1FF at 0xC
0x200 at 0xC
0x201 at 0x24

EDIT: just saw now, that you edited your Post. give me few min.

Edited by captnastro

1 hour ago, kondilac said:

OK, one thing is sure now, if custom timings are enabled, your system wont boot. You should try CMOS reset, 1 stick only, 0x1EF to 0x2. It should boot into windows, and there you should check with CPU-Z or AIDA that the CR2 is set to 2.

here i still see 1T, when 0x1EE is on 0xE, even if 0x1EF is on 2T.

1 hour ago, kondilac said:

After this is working properly, we should get custom timings working with 1 stick, because we know that the memory controller can run 1 stick at factory timings, first do a CMOS reset, and set the DIMM profile to custom (0x1EE to 0x1) and configure the timings to factory settings:

It should boot, but if not first double check if i done the conversion from DEC->HEX good, and the respecting EFI vars. Since these are the factory timings it should boot up fine, as if JEDEC profile.

tried the given numbers from you. but didn't work. extracted via AIDA after CMOS reset i got other numbers:

tCL = 11 [0x1FE -> 0xB]
tRCD= 12 [0x1FF -> 0xC]
tRP = 13 [0x200 -> 0xD]
tRAS = 34 [0x201 -> 0x22]
tRC = 47 [0x209 -> 0x2F]
tRFC = 278 [0x204 ->0x116]
tRRD = 6 [0x206 ->0x6]
tWR = 16 [0x203 ->0x10]
tWTR = 8 [0x207 ->0x8]
tRTP = 8 [0x208 ->0x8]
tFAW = 27 [0x20B ->0x1B]

tried those, but still, didn't work, won't boot up this way. :(

19 hours ago, captnastro said:

here i still see 1T, when 0x1EE is on 0xE, even if 0x1EF is on 2T.

tried the given numbers from you. but didn't work. extracted via AIDA after CMOS reset i got other numbers:

tCL = 11 [0x1FE -> 0xB]
tRCD= 12 [0x1FF -> 0xC]
tRP = 13 [0x200 -> 0xD]
tRAS = 34 [0x201 -> 0x22]
tRC = 47 [0x209 -> 0x2F]
tRFC = 278 [0x204 ->0x116]
tRRD = 6 [0x206 ->0x6]
tWR = 16 [0x203 ->0x10]
tWTR = 8 [0x207 ->0x8]
tRTP = 8 [0x208 ->0x8]
tFAW = 27 [0x20B ->0x1B]

tried those, but still, didn't work, won't boot up this way. :(

I checked on my system, and custom timings also doesn't work, but setting the command rate to 2T does. Do you use "thorough" boot mode? Your best chance to use custom timings for now is to write new/alter existing JEDEC profiles to the sticks, or add XMP profiles. You can do this with Thaiphoon Burner

Edited by kondilac

5 minutes ago, kondilac said:

I checked on my system, and custom timings also doesn't work, but setting the command rate to 2T does. Do you use "thorough" boot mode? Your best chance to use custom timings for now is to write new/alter existing JEDEC profiles to the sticks, or add XMP profiles. You can do this with Sharkoon Burner

Could please check the reported tRFC value with setup_var? it seems like although it is set as an 16bit value, setup_var is setting an 8bit value making it impossible to boot with tRFC = 0x16 (22).

Try to set tRFC to 0xFF (255) which is the maximum 8bit value. Also, where can I download the Sharkoon Burner? Is this a new program?

Edited by timohour

6 minutes ago, timohour said:

Could please check the reported tRFC value with setup_var? it seems like although that's is set as an 16bit value setup_var is setting an 8bit value making it impossible to boot with tRFC = 0x16.

Try to set tRFC to 0xFF which is the maximum 8bit value. Also, where can I test the Sharkoon Burner?

Yes i have also noticed that 8bit - 16bit problem, but as i checked the default value reads out as 0x16, so i guess it is 0x116 indeed by default, there is only the problem with reading, and maybe writing it.

* Thaiphoon Burner :Dhttp://www.softnology.biz/files.html 

Edited by kondilac

1 minute ago, kondilac said:

Yes i have also noticed that 8bit - 16bit problem, but as i checked the default value reads out as 0x16, so i guess it is 0x116 indeed by default, there is only the problem with reading, and maybe writing it.

http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

actualy, thanks to timohour, changing 0x204 to 0xFF. made it possible to boot with custom timings. therefore probably not only read/write issue 

Edited by captnastro

3 minutes ago, kondilac said:

http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Thanks, I knew Thaiphoon, just thought that there was another one called Sharkoon. It must be an older name I was not aware of.

Try to set this to 0xFF. this worked for captnastro (just for one stick though)

Edited by timohour

31 minutes ago, timohour said:

Thanks, I knew Thaiphoon, just thought that there was another one called Sharkoon. It must be an older name I was not aware of.

Try to set this to 0xFF. this worked for captnastro (just for one stick though)

Nice find! It is working indeed! I can boot at 2133 10-11-11-34, trying to tighten a bit more :)

Just now, kondilac said:

Nice find! It is working indeed! I can boot at 2133 10-11-11-34, trying to tighten a bit more :)

Great!!! It seems like your memory controller can perform.. Could you post some performance results when you find the sweet spot?

5 hours ago, timohour said:

Great!!! It seems like your memory controller can perform.. Could you post some performance results when you find the sweet spot?

i can go down to 9-11-11-X, but it performs rorse somewhy than 10-11-11-X, the memory copy is down from 30.5k to 27k.  , anything lower for tRCD and  tRP than 11 doesn't boot, and , and tRAS wise i can kind of set anything (tried even 13) and it does run memtest without errors, but the setting affect the performance and latency a little bit. Latency wise 28 is the sweet spot, RW speed wise is 27. The difference is very small, but consistent across multiple benchmarks.

2133_10_11_11_27.thumb.png.88cdd845e16242133_10_11_11_28.thumb.png.ffcf096b8f824

Edited by kondilac
  • Thumbs Up 2

Trying this paperclip mod to unlock bios for dumping and then flashing.

But I get this error. I read about that Error nr 26 means, that I don't have great connection. Or maybe I am connecting the wrong things.

Should I connect pin 5 and 9 with each other (create a bridge between them)? Or what exactly, cant figure out the picture in the first post.

Weird thing is that first time I tried to dump the bios with no paperclip mod, just to see if I get that error- I did. But 2'nd time I connected the pins (at least I think I did), because now it showed that "Flash devices found", which it didn't show before... but still... Error nr 26 at the end.

Added a picture. What should I connect each other? The yellow connection (pin 5 to pin 9) or red connection (ping 5 to resistor)?

Much appreciate the help!

PS. Do I need to maintain that connection through out the entire time, or just so far when I see a boot screen and then release the paperclip?

EDIT: GOT IT! 

Connected the pin 5 to pin 9 (yellow line) and this time it started to dump the bios. And had to hold it only when I saw the Dell logo loading.

Now starting to modify the bios.

20160127_201447.jpg

paperclip_mod.jpg

Edited by viilutaja

1 hour ago, viilutaja said:

Altough I have a question about flashing modified bios back now.

Do I just use: 

fpt.exe  -f MODBIOS.bin

or like this in this unlocking guide... with that "-me" part also included?

fpt -me -f E6430UCME.bin

If i understand correctly you want to flash a modified ME FW, not a bios. Then you should use "fptw.exe -me -f e6430ocme.bin. The first argument is indicating that you want to flash only the ME region, and the second is that you want to Flash it. 

37 minutes ago, kondilac said:

If i understand correctly you want to flash a modified ME FW, not a bios. Then you should use "fptw.exe -me -f e6430ocme.bin. The first argument is indicating that you want to flash only the ME region, and the second is that you want to Flash it. 

Well I used command  "fpt.exe -d origbios.bin", to dump the entire bios. Modified it, to unlock the flash deescriptor. And now I want to apply this modified bios so that I don't have to use that paperclip mod again.

But couldn't I just upload the entire bios or is there a reason for "-me" flag? Without that "-me" flag and updating - will I brick the bios?

38 minutes ago, viilutaja said:

Well I used command  "fpt.exe -d origbios.bin", to dump the entire bios. Modified it, to unlock the flash deescriptor. And now I want to apply this modified bios so that I don't have to use that paperclip mod again.

But couldn't I just upload the entire bios or is there a reason for "-me" flag? Without that "-me" flag and updating - will I brick the bios?

Well the origbios.bin image you dumped consists of several regions. If you open it with FITC you will realise that.

PK6NZnL.png

You can see that there are four different regions.

There is the Descriptor Region (This is were you should make the change in order to permanently unlock the regions you want to frequently modify. Also this is where you can set options like x2.2 or PCIe reversal) there is the GbE Region, the ME region (This is the part we need to mod in order to allow BCLK OCing) and the BIOS region (this is where the manufacturer's BIOS is stored).

I suppose that you understand from the above that you don't need to reflash your BIOS region (since you made no change there) if you are going to mod your ME FW. Also you don't want to mess with your ME FW region when you want to change values in the Descriptor Region. That's why we use different flag according to the region we want to mod.

No reason to mess with the other regions. Minimizing the changes we make, we minimize the possibility of a brick in case of a mistake.

Since you are interested in flashing a modded ME FW I would recommend you to mod your own extract. Using the one supplied here on a different bios version than the original, may cause you trouble if you want to upgrade/downgrade your BIOS later in the way. You will need to reflash the original ME FW in order to be able to upgrade/downgrade.

Edited by timohour

May I add my own bios here, that I extracted. So somebody who has already done that so many times before, can make the changes? I have the latest A17 BIOS.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46330482/ORIGINAL.BIN

What I am looking for is the CPU OC side and x2.2 capability. Also that desritor region is unlocked.

Dunno, if there are other specially needed mods. I understand if I am later choosing to use faster RAM (2133mhz) instead of 1600Mhz (2x8GB) I have now. Then the faster memory should work out of the box?

Just have to make sure it has CL 12, to make sure there are no boot problems.

Edited by viilutaja

From my experience the memory will cap at 1866 mhz, even if higher is set in SPD and VRAM.

Here is BCLK enabled, flash descriptor unlocked, and x2 set on port 1. I can't remember if the system does x2 on port 1 or 3, so I guessed 1. Let me know if I guessed wrong and I'll send you an x2 on port 3.

file

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

From my experience the memory will cap at 1866 mhz, even if higher is set in SPD and VRAM.

Here is BCLK enabled, flash descriptor unlocked, and x2 set on port 1. I can't remember if the system does x2 on port 1 or 3, so I guessed 1. Let me know if I guessed wrong and I'll send you an x2 on port 3.

file

Thank You! Will try it.

But do I understand correctly, that this is the entire modded bios so I upload it without "-me" or other flag?

Just:  "fpt.exe -f vii_modded.bin" ?

Did it without the extra flags (-me and -desc) and it completed successfully. So far I can confirm that flash descriptor is unlocked (shut down the laptop and booted up, no paperclip needed when extracting bios).

Had to go to work. Will test other modded things when I get off from work.

3 hours ago, Khenglish said:

From timohour earlier post: 

Kingston PnP memories running with no tweaks @2133 on a Dell Latitude E6430

UPDATE: I would recommend to purchase 2133MHz CL12 memories. Both sangemaru (3740QM) and me (3720QM) had problems booting with 2133MHz CL11. If you already have CL11 memories and you face instabilities or you are unable to boot, use the UEFI variables as described here to set timings @ 12-12-12-36.

I grabbed a pair of Kingston KHX21S12P1K2/8 @ 2133Mhz. This kit is a 2x4GB @ 2133MHz that I hoped it would have Samsung chips on it but it seems that it doesn't.

The good new are that I didn't have to make any tweak. My laptop would clock @ 2133MHz without changing anything (no XMP settings etc).

Seems like on an E6430 Kingston pnp kits would automatically overclock @ desired clocks (in my situation 2133MHz)

Will they work or not? Confused.

1 hour ago, viilutaja said:

Will they work or not? Confused.

So far there are mixed results. It depends on your CPU's memory controller. Some CPUs can do it, some won't. But they will be able to run @ 1866MHz and you can tighten the timings.