14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

As noted on previews posts you would need two of the internal mini pcie ports to run @ x2 2.0. This means that you won't be able to use your EC gear.

I don't know the structure of the EXP GDC v.6 or the Beast (I never bought GDC products), but I guess that you would be able to solder the 2nd lane's pcie signals from your gear to a mini pcie adapter. Check this out or if possible upload a close photo of the bottom of your GDC product. (where we can see if there is a possiblity to solder cables)

In case this isn't feasible you would be able to use a riser but there would be a toll on signal's integrity.

Thanks timohour.

I forgot that I also own a PE4L-PM060A. Maybe this one is easier to mod?

I can provide photos if you think that helps.

Already have my Dell E6430 (iGPU only/900p/Bios A16) :)

I had to use uefi variables to unlock raid0 . As expected the variable that needs to be changed is different from the one of the E6440 = "0x19D". So in my case E6430 = "0x12D". And had to use them again to set up TOLUD in order to use eGPU.

Using Thaiphoon Burner

I've purchased Thaiphoon Burner but I was unlucky. It turns out that one of my "cheap" Ram modules from 2012 (8GB Kingston 1600 CAS11) is a bit weak and only lets me lower the CAS to 10. At 1866 the E6430 wont boot, even with another module installed and with different CAS settings. The other module has no problems with 1866.

I can set XMP profiles for both of them or even JEDEC. Some other modules I've tested only allow me to create XMP profiles.

With other Ram modules (2x4GB) I managed to get 1866 working in dual channel.

Thaipoon Burner is very easy to use and at least in my case if I use uefi variables to load a XMP profile that the Ram cannot handle, all I had to do was remove the battery and disconnect the CMOS battery, reconnect after a few seconds and the uefi variables revert to their default values, as would the bios settings. So I had to set them all again, including the one that allows me to use Raid0. Once this was done I got my system back and running without any more problems.

Keep in mind that this was in my case. I can't be made responsible if this doesn't work with another system.

I want to play with the other uefi variables when I get a chance, and I will update this post with my progress.

Thanks to everyone that made this mods possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

No problemo! Thanks again for answering! :D

Is a PE4H-EC2C PCIe Passive adapter ver2.4, Im runnig

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit

i7 3740QM @2.7 GHz

8 GB RAM

Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB

I bought it fast and without learning a little more(I'd have to investigate more)

And about the UEFI variables, that is the code, but how can i do that?

Thanks Again!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys? Can you tell me if the dual-heatpipe heatsink is compatible with the intel-only e6430? I have the opportunity to get one for about 20$ tonight.

It seems that those two have different mounting holes but I can send you some images from mine so you can see for yourself

WCtcaqo.jpg

Seems like screw #1 is way out of position compared to the iGPU model. I wouldn't recommend it... For more photos check here.

• Thumbs Up 1

@timohour What BIOS are you using? I'm currently on A07, was wondering if there's reasons to upgrade to A16? Would I lose any features?

I am currently running A16 but I see no reason to upgrade your bios. No features gains/losses that I can think of.

I am still running my memories and they time PnP and I can still set the multiplier using UEFI variables. What features do you have in mind?

I am currently running A16 but I see no reason to upgrade your bios. No features lost that I can think of.

I am still running my memories and they time PnP and I can still set the multiplier using UEFI variables. What features do you have in mind?

Hey guys. Sorry to intervene.

I've recently upgraded my bios to A16 and I can still use UEFI variables to enable Raid0, change TOLUD and select XMP Ram profiles.

eGPU still works without issues. Tested in Windows 8.1 x64 using EC.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey guys. Sorry to intervene.

I've recently upgraded my bios to A16 and I can still use UEFI variables to enable Raid0, change TOLUD and select XMP Ram profiles.

eGPU still works without issues. Tested in Windows 8.1 x64 using EC.

Thanks for your input.

Already have my Dell E6430 (iGPU only/900p/Bios A16) :)

I had to use uefi variables to unlock raid0 . As expected the variable that needs to be changed is different from the one of the E6440 = "0x19D". So in my case E6430 = "0x12D". And had to use them again to set up TOLUD in order to use eGPU.

Using Thaiphoon Burner

I've purchased Thaiphoon Burner but I was unlucky. It turns out that one of my "cheap" Ram modules from 2012 (8GB Kingston 1600 CAS11) is a bit weak and only lets me lower the CAS to 10. At 1866 the E6430 wont boot, even with another module installed and with different CAS settings. The other module has no problems with 1866.

I can set XMP profiles for both of them or even JEDEC. Some other modules I've tested only allow me to create XMP profiles.

With other Ram modules (2x4GB) I managed to get 1866 working in dual channel.

Rereading your edited post, I say nicely done. Could you elaborate on your ram module (s/n and/or a photo of the memory chips) so we can avoid them in the feature?

Also could you add your CPU? I have been thinking to build a table on the first post with user configurations and mods.

Can you confirm that memories with JEDEC timings @ 1866MHz or 2133MHz will automatically speed @ 1866MHz or 2133MHz respectively?

Thanks for chiming in. Mostly I want to make sure that any tweaks/optimizations are there (still holding out a tiny bit of hope that my failing ram might be due to the system MRC being under MRC 1.5.0.0 and that I might fix the glitching by just BIOS update - fat chance though, but I'd still try it). And yea, my main worry is that a newer BIOS might refuse to set JEDEC speeds over 1600, as I'd seen on the forum in one user's post who had to use XMP to get his RAM back to 2133.

Another question @timohour, do I need to convert my entire Windows install to GPT and run UEFI mode in order to use UEFI variables, or is it enough to boot a thumbdrive in UEFI mode, use the setup_var command, reboot in legacy mode and they stick?

(Do they stick? Do efi variables need to be applied at every boot?)

timohour said:
Thanks for your input.

Rereading your edited post, I say nicely done. Could you elaborate on your ram module (s/n and/or a photo of the memory chips) so we can avoid them in the feature?

Also could you add your CPU? I have been thinking to build a table on the first post with user configurations and mods.

Can you confirm that memories with JEDEC timings @ 1866MHz or 2133MHz will automatically speed @ 1866MHz or 2133MHz respectively?

I'm always happy to contribute :)

My cpu is a 3630QM and I can confirm that once I add JEDEC timmings @ 1866, all I have to do is shutdown and start again and the memory automatically runs at 1866. A simple Windows 8.1 restart doesn't change the Ram settings. I was unable to get the laptop to boot with any of the Ram modules at 2133 (tested 4 different modules). All of them were 1,50v and manufactured before 2014. The 8GB modules are from 2012. Maybe that's why I can't get more than 1866 @ dual or single channel? Or its my 3630QMs memory controller? This was tested using bios A16.

Here is a picture of the weak Ram module.

@sagemaru The UEFI variables stick until you remove both the laptops battery and CMOS battery.

Please check my post at the top of the previous page for more details about that.

Edited by Tempest
  • Thumbs Up 3

Another question @timohour, do I need to convert my entire Windows install to GPT and run UEFI mode in order to use UEFI variables, or is it enough to boot a thumbdrive in UEFI mode, use the setup_var command, reboot in legacy mode and they stick?

(Do they stick? Do efi variables need to be applied at every boot?)

No need to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode to use UEFI variables. You simply boot with the USB drive in UEFI mode.

As Tempest said changing efi variables is like changing a setting in UEFI bios. You need a CMOS reset to revert this to its default state.

You better halt than reboot your system cause some settings need a cold boot to change.

My cpu is a 3630QM and I can confirm that once I add JEDEC timmings @ 1866, all I have to do is shutdown and start again and the memory automatically runs at 1866. A simple Windows 8.1 restart doesn't change the Ram settings. I was unable to get the laptop to boot with any of the Ram modules at 2133 (tested 4 different modules). Or its my 3630QMs memory controller? This was tested using bios A16.

Here is a picture of the weak Ram module.

With A16 I run my Kingston @ 2133CL12 and that's with both 3630QM and the 3720QM. Maybe you should loosen your timings? If you have similar modules you could try my settings. PM

When trying to unlock the upper bins of a 3740QM, and editing into variables 0x25 to 0x28, what value should I be setting it to? Trying to understand the guides but coming up short.

Can I also control maximum Jedec speeds and latencies? Say I want to use different jedec profiles on my ram than what is automatically selected.

For the OC ME FW, should i boot a rufus usb stick using DOS and use fpt.exe to flash the e6430oc.bin file? (Use variable 0x228 set to 0x1 to unlock flash descriptor before flashing, right?

What's the risk on this?

I tried going to 1600MHz on iGPU but the chip gets HOT fast, and I run into TDP throttling quickly. I've no idea what to do about cooling the chip properly, without access to the beefier heatsink. I might be better off using the i5 CPU for gaming on the go until my EXP GDC arrives.

Any EXP GDC user can advise what to do with that ExpressCard 34 card in the 54 slot on the e6430?

When trying to unlock the upper bins of a 3740QM, and editing into variables 0x25 to 0x28, what value should I be setting it to? Trying to understand the guides but coming up short.

Can I also control maximum Jedec speeds and latencies? Say I want to use different jedec profiles on my ram than what is automatically selected.

If I am right the 3740QM has maximum unlocked bins x41 for 1 core x40 for 2 core x39 for 3/4 core. You should set the hexadecimal of these multipliers in every var. For example 0x25 (which is 1 core ration limit) you should set the value 0x29 which is the HxD of 41. At 0x26 you set 0x28 etc. Generally you can set the highest in every variable and your chip would go as far as it can.

Regarding JEDEC I suspect that you can set the JEDEC profile spd with variable 0x1e6. Never tried it since there was no use for it.

For the OC ME FW, should i boot a rufus usb stick using DOS and use fpt.exe to flash the e6430oc.bin file? (Use variable 0x228 set to 0x1 to unlock flash descriptor before flashing, right?

What's the risk on this?

DO NOT USE THE VARIABLE 0x228 to flash an OC ME FW:

It is possible that this mod causes bios corruption. I had problems after a flash since I couldn't reenable the ME FW flash through UEFI variables and I had to use the hardware mod to unlock the Descryptor region again.

Unlock your descriptor like described here and flash a modified ME FW as described here.

Unless you are interested in OC your RAM a little more than 2133, I wouldn't recomment to BCLK OC an [email protected] since you would definetely face Temperature Throttle.

I tried going to 1600MHz on iGPU but the chip gets HOT fast, and I run into TDP throttling quickly. I've no idea what to do about cooling the chip properly, without access to the beefier heatsink. I might be better off using the i5 CPU for gaming on the go until my EXP GDC arrives.

I faced some TDP throttling my self during the tests. I think that you should try the highest core frequency without additional voltage (it should be stable at 1350-1400MHz) plus dual channel high-speed RAM (2133MHz) if you haven't already. Keep in mind that dual rank chips have generally better performance than single rank chips and the faster the RAM the better the iGPU performance. Check http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/6063-all-memory-not-created-equal-hyperx-2133-cl12-versus-ripjaws-2133-cl11.html thread for more info on RAM.

• Thumbs Up 1

The irony of this system is that with overclocking and high-speed ram, the dGPU becomes redundant and you can get better battery life and comfortably use eGPU. But you need cooling to get that performance level, and to get cooling you need the redundant and rather unnecessary NVS-5200. Would have been nice if both were DX12 and then you'd have the possibility for a doubling of performance under Windows 10, but the HD4000 is DX11 only (I'd heard Fermi supports DX12 but I wouldn't know).

Gotta get myself some of those copper tiny heatsinks so stick them on the heatpipe.

The irony of this system is that with overclocking and high-speed ram, the dGPU becomes redundant and you can get better battery life and comfortably use eGPU. But you need cooling to get that performance level, and to get cooling you need the redundant and rather unnecessary NVS-5200. Would have been nice if both were DX12 and then you'd have the possibility for a doubling of performance under Windows 10, but the HD4000 is DX11 only (I'd heard Fermi supports DX12 but I wouldn't know).

Gotta get myself some of those copper tiny heatsinks so stick them on the heatpipe.

Haven't tried to OC the dGPU yet. I think that i will outperform even the OCed Intel HD4000, so I don't think it is redundant. As of battery life I don't think that using the iGPU only system is going it be much more efficient.. With battery life tweaks my dGPU E6430 would have an idle discharge rate as low as 7,2W. Considering that Tech Inferno Fan 's iGPU only E6230 would do as low as 5.4W. I don't think that dGPU would be a battery sucker especially when Optimus is enabled.

I have been looking for an iGPU initially myself and if this wasn't a sweet deal, I would have an iGPU now. But I am pretty happy I went dGPU way now, cause at work I can have up to 3 screens connected (using Docking Station).

Maybe there is a dual core i5/i7 with unlocked turbo bins? It would be nice to see how the iGPU would perform with your single pipe stock cooler.

A fan pushing fresh air to the bottom of the laptop (open lid) is crucial for me to keep my temperatures under control. Did you try it?

Thanks for the memory speed variable, managed to use it to get at least stable 1600 cl9 speeds for now, now i don't have to throw away the kit.

The replacement kit performed the same, no idea why, I assume similarities in the design. Any idea of a way for me to set latency? So I can try 2133 CL12/Cl13 for example?

Thanks for the memory speed variable, managed to use it to get at least stable 1600 cl9 speeds for now, now i don't have to throw away the kit. The replacement kit performed the same, no idea why, I assume similarities in the design. Any idea of a way for me to set latency? So I can try 2133 CL12/Cl13 for example?

If you know your way around tweaking memory there are a bunch of variables that you could try (never tried them myself):

Numeric: tCL , Variable: 0x1FE 
Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x4

End

Numeric: tRCD , Variable: 0x1FF Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x3

End

Numeric: tRP , Variable: 0x200 Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x3 End Numeric: tRAS , Variable: 0x201 Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0x9 End

Numeric: tWR , Variable: 0x203 Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x5

End Numeric: tRFC , Variable: 0x204 Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0xF

End

Numeric: tRRD , Variable: 0x206

End Numeric: tWTR , Variable: 0x207 Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x3 End Numeric: tRTP , Variable: 0x208

Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x4 End

Numeric: tRC , Variable: 0x209 Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0xF End Numeric: tFAW , Variable: 0x20B Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0xA

End Setting: NMode Support, Variable: 0x1EF

Option: Auto, Value: 0x10

Option: 1N Mode, Value: 0x0

Option: 2N Mode, Value: 0x2 End

For 8bit values you probably set from 0x0 to 0xFF (256) and for 16 bit values from 0x0 to 0xFFFF (65536). For example if you want to set tCL 13 you should set variable 0x1FE to 0xD etc. NMode seems to be the Command Rate use 1N for 1T or 2N for 2T.

But you should probably also set

Setting: DIMM profile, Variable: 0x1EE
Option: Default DIMM profile, Value: 0x0

Option: Custom profile, Value: 0x1

Option: XMP profile 1, Value: 0x2 Option: XMP profile 2, Value: 0x3

to Custom Profile.

What kit?
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hey guys! I've got all my parts setup for overclocking now and was hoping to ask for some advice as well.

My setup is the following:

LAPTOP: E6430 NVS5200, 900p

CPU: i7 3840 QM (QCF1)

RAM: Crucial 16Gb PC12800 1600MT/s

EGPU: PE4C v2.1 + GTX970 (Hoping to get at least x2.2)

For those who already did the paperclip mod, do you power on the laptop with the keyboard removed or can you just lift it from its position? Not sure if there is enough space for my hands to bridge the paperclip underneath an attached keyboard.

Also, once the system has properly booted after bridging, do I have to permanently Unlock the Flash descriptor before resetting the Laptop? Because that might mean I would have to use an external keyboard, or hotplug the keyboard I disconnected.

Thanks in advance!

If you know your way around tweaking memory there are a bunch of variables that you could try (never tried them myself):

Numeric: tCL , Variable: 0x1FE 

End

Numeric: tRCD , Variable: 0x1FF Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x3

End

Numeric: tRP , Variable: 0x200 Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x3 End Numeric: tRAS , Variable: 0x201 Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0x9 End

Numeric: tWR , Variable: 0x203 Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x5

End Numeric: tRFC , Variable: 0x204 Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0xF

End

Numeric: tRRD , Variable: 0x206

End Numeric: tWTR , Variable: 0x207 Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x3 End Numeric: tRTP , Variable: 0x208

Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x4 End

Numeric: tRC , Variable: 0x209 Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0xF End Numeric: tFAW , Variable: 0x20B Default: 16 Bit, Value: 0xA

End

For 8bit values you probably set from 0x0 to 0xFF (256) and for 16 bit values from 0x0 to 0xFFFF (65536). For example if you want to set tCL 13 you should set variable 0x1FE to 0xD etc.

But you should probably also set

Setting: DIMM profile, Variable: 0x1EE
Option: Default DIMM profile, Value: 0x0

Option: Custom profile, Value: 0x1

Option: XMP profile 1, Value: 0x2 Option: XMP profile 2, Value: 0x3

to Custom Profile.

What kit?

This kit. Currently running at 1866 CL10. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15902[/ATTACH]

EDIT: Tried editing the variable to set custom profile. Good enough idea, unfortunately the latency won't stick. Unless I write an XMP profile to the module (I really want to write a 1.5V, 2400 or 2666MHZ CL14-CL15 profile and try it out through XMP. Unfortunately no ThaiPhoon.

Hey guys! I've got all my parts setup for overclocking now and was hoping to ask for some advice as well.

My setup is the following: LAPTOP: E6430 NVS5200, 900p CPU: i7 3840 QM (QCF1) RAM: Crucial 16Gb PC12800 1600MT/s EGPU: PE4C v2.1 + GTX970 (Hoping to get at least x2.2)

For those who already did the paperclip mod, do you power on the laptop with the keyboard removed or can you just lift it from its position? Not sure if there is enough space for my hands to bridge the paperclip underneath an attached keyboard.

Also, once the system has properly booted after bridging, do I have to permanently Unlock the Flash descriptor before resetting the Laptop? Because that might mean I would have to use an external keyboard, or hotplug the keyboard I disconnected.

Thanks in advance!

That's great news!!! Waiting for your implementation.

Regarding the descryptor flash, I have done it both ways. The first time I removed the palmrest but let the keyboard connected on the side (used a plastic bag under the keyboard to avoid any kind of shortcircuit). The second time I completely removed the palmrest and keyboard, and used a USB keyboard to boot/flash. If you have a second computer you can edit there your bios to unlock your descryptor. After you successfully apply the paperclip mod your descryptor will be unlocked as long as you don't shutdown your laptop (rebooting won't matter). Flashing the descryptor region with an modified dump will make the unlock permanent

Keep us posted.

This kit. Currently running at 1866 CL10. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15902[/ATTACH]

EDIT: Tried editing the variable to set custom profile. Good enough idea, unfortunately the latency won't stick. Unless I write an XMP profile to the module (I really want to write a 1.5V, 2400 or 2666MHZ CL14-CL15 profile and try it out through XMP. Unfortunately no ThaiPhoon.

XMP with 2400MHz or 2666MHz was a no go for me. Best case scenario it would downclock to 2133MHz and every other case it won't even boot. I haven't tried to use 2400 JEDEC profiles though. Those may stick.

Maybe try setting your CR to 2T it is under
Setting: NMode Support, Variable: 0x1EF
Option: Auto, Value: 0x10
Option: 1N Mode, Value: 0x0
Option: 2N Mode, Value: 0x2 

I kind of not getting it. Mine have similar JEDEC timings
Spoiler

Maybe setting it to 1.5V? There is this variable
Setting: DDR Selection, Variable: 0x1E9
Option: DDR3, Value: 0x0

Option: DDR3L, Value: 0x1 Option: Auto, Value: 0x2

Or find a way to flash some XMP Profiles.

In addition, NVIDIA will match Microsoft OS support for DX12. Over 70% of gaming PCs are now DX11 based. NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families. With more than 50% market share (65% for discrete graphics) among DX11-based gaming systems, NVIDIA alone will provide game developers the majority of the potential installed base.

source: [URL]http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/[/URL]

Huh, this is nice. Got my HD4000 stable at 1450MHz, +0.5 voltage (will try it with stock next), 1866 CL10 ram, and furmarked it, 600 points exactly. (faster than the score you posted in first post at 1550core @ 2133mem. I'm also seeing 31-32W power used at these settings. Any further will throttle eratically and not stay under load. Even at these settings I'm seeing a tiny bit of throttle when the iGPU reaches near 100C internal temp under furmark, but it's running pretty damn nice. I think that's the highest I can get that coreOC for daytime use without heavy cooling modding, all I can do now is tweak the ram to the max.

Apparently the variable to control my CR and set to 2T has worked, I'll now try setting 2133 speed again, see if it's stable with the different command rate.

EDIT: Going to settle with 1400MHZ and default voltage for least fluctuation, temps and artifacting. It scores about 583 points in furmark bench.

The RAM is a tricky question. I still can do nothing to boot it at 2133 dual-channel, which is weird because it used to be able to. I think I lost the ability to boot dual-channel 2133 once I upgraded to bios A16. I'd downgrade to A07 to confirm. Do i need flash descriptor unlocked to downgrade?

The cool part is being able to edit virtually any spec through EFI variables. This is so powerful. I'm curious if it would be possible to do the same thing using RW-Everything from Windows? Maybe in real-time?

• Thumbs Up 1

Making progress :D I noticed that unless I enable DIMM profile variable 0x1EE to value 0x1 (custom profile), changes I'd make to things such as tCL timing wouldn't stick.

So I edited the variable above, checked that changes would stick, and now I successfully booted dual-channel to CL12. Command rate set to 2T. Now my biggest challenge is getting the system to boot. I seem to have trouble booting at 2133, where I didn't have that trouble before. I also reset my cmos beforehand to make sure I have everything as close to default as possible. I've noticed the default values on some of the variables are NOT the same as in the A07 EFI dump file. A16 might have switched some around, I'll need to extract the A16 efi variables and do a compare. Things like tRAS and maybe others have different default values (0x0a instead of 0x04 for tCL for example, 0x0b instead of 0x3 for tRAS, and so on. Though they seem to be defaulting to whatever the SPD table on the ram detects at the particular speed at that moment. Still, I'm not sure they're still the same variables, so I'll try to dump A16).

I'm hoping I manage to boot 2133 at CL12 and command rate 2T at least.

Making progress :D I noticed that unless I enable DIMM profile variable 0x1EE to value 0x1 (custom profile), changes I'd make to things such as tCL timing wouldn't stick.

It makes sense. You have to enable custom profile in order for it to work...

So I edited the variable above, checked that changes would stick, and now I successfully booted dual-channel to CL12. Command rate set to 2T. Now my biggest challenge is getting the system to boot. I seem to have trouble booting at 2133, where I didn't have that trouble before. I also reset my cmos beforehand to make sure I have everything as close to default as possible. I've noticed the default values on some of the variables are NOT the same as in the A07 EFI dump file. A16 might have switched some around, I'll need to extract the A16 efi variables and do a compare. Things like tRAS and maybe others have different default values (0x0a instead of 0x04 for tCL for example, 0x0b instead of 0x3 for tRAS, and so on. Though they seem to be defaulting to whatever the SPD table on the ram detects at the particular speed at that moment. Still, I'm not sure they're still the same variables, so I'll try to dump A16).

I'm hoping I manage to boot 2133 at CL12 and command rate 2T at least.

E6430-A16_IFR.txt I don't see any differences btw the A07 and the A16. As you noticed the defaults are the timings your RAM is currently running.

• Thumbs Up 1