14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Almost everything in the E6530 motherboard was around 3mm off from the E6520 motherboard. I needed to do a lot of dremmel work on the casing to get the board to fit properly. I had to drill holes into the dGPU part of the heatsink to get screws through it, as well as move the fan connector.

Does it mean that in E6420 will be the same problem with +1gen motherboard as in yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Kingston PnP memories running with no tweaks @2133 on a Dell Latitude E6430

UPDATE: I would recommend to purchase 2133MHz CL12 memories. Both sangemaru (3740QM) and me (3720QM) had problems booting with 2133MHz CL11. If you already have CL11 memories and you face instabilities or you are unable to boot, use the UEFI variables as described here to set timings @ 12-12-12-36.

I grabbed a pair of Kingston KHX21S12P1K2/8 @ 2133Mhz. This kit is a 2x4GB @ 2133MHz that I hoped it would have Samsung chips on it but it seems that it doesn't.

The good new are that I didn't have to make any tweak. My laptop would clock @ 2133MHz without changing anything (no XMP settings etc).

Seems like on an E6430 Kingston pnp kits would automatically overclock @ desired clocks (in my situation 2133MHz)

c6ZCn9S.png

The bad news are that I have to reduce my BCLK OC from 104,9MHz to at least 104MHz.

2216MHz was the highest value I could benchmark this RAM at. Seems like this SKHynix chips that my kit comes with are bad overclockers.

t3gY6sw.png

EDIT: This was an issue of my i7-3630QM's memory controller. With my new 3720QM BCLK goes up to 104,9 breaking the 30K barrier.

HZ9NYd6.png

I am considering trading them with a kit that would have dual rank Samsung chips on it to improve performance over 30K.

dump for anyone interested

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi! my name is Damian and Im from Argentina

This are my spects

Dell Latitude E6430

i7 3740QM

8 Gb RAM

dGPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M

I have a question , I bought a few months ago a pe4h, and recently a Asus Strix gtx 960 4 GB.

And for what I read the pe4h is a 1 gen and my i7 is a 2 gen. It will work anyway?

And there is a guide step by step, to make it work for my laptop? Because I have minimum knowledge in computers

Hi! my name is Damian and Im from Argentina

This are my spects

Dell Latitude E6430

i7 3740QM

8 Gb RAM

dGPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M

I have a question , I bought a few months ago a pe4h, and recently a Asus Strix gtx 960 4 GB.

And for what I read the pe4h is a 1 gen and my i7 is a 2 gen. It will work anyway?

And there is a guide step by step, to make it work for my laptop? Because I have minimum knowledge in computers

Your PE4H would work with the Dell E6430 but only @ x1.1 (2Gbps). You need newer equipment to use your x1.2 connection your E6430 has.

If you insist using your current hardware and you already own 2 PM3Ns you can connect them both to your laptop WWAN and WLAN port and make an x2.1 (4Gbps) as done here for an x2.2 (8Gbps).

In order to set your EC or mpcie port to gen1 speeds you either have to use setup 1.x or the UEFI variables.

Hello e6430 thread! I'm Miroslav.

Just ordered:

Dell E6430

[email protected]

16GB RAM

no dGPU

GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SC 2GB ITX Version

EXP GDC Beast V7.0

Should I need DSDT Override + Setup 1.30?

@Tech Inferno Fan has a great guide http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/2747-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660%40x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html connecting an eGPU to an E6230.

I think this guide also applies to any E6X30 Latitude with iGPU.

If you own a E6430 with NVidia dGPU you have three options

• Use setup 1.x,
  • Use device manager to disable your dGPU PCI Express Port in Windows.
  • Use UEFI variables to manually lower your TOLUD to around 2 GB

You could also get more info here

...This are my spects

Dell Latitude E6430

i7 3740QM

8 Gb RAM...

@damiancho I can see that you own an i7-3740QM. If you are interested to add +400MHz to your maximum turbo clocks of your i7-3740QM and run it @ 4C 3,9GHz or more, check this thread..

Since you are an eGPU user you are going to see a huge improvement in games/benchmarks with better CPU performance.

My i7-3720QM would score over 1000 points more in 3DMark06 CPU score compared to stock configuration.

Battery life tweaks for the E6430?

@timohour , there's something you might want to investigate on how to improve battery life on a E6430. A good start being the list I have at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post38399

I did get to play with a E6x30 a little while ago and noticed that Dell had a utility. It was either the "Dell Power Manager" or "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack". With it, there were additional Dell Settings in the power profile where you could further disable the SD card reader and the the optical drive when switched to DC.

If monitoring the idle power consumption with say Battery Bar software, setting those would drop power consumption a further 0.5W. A nice little gain to battery life.

• Thumbs Up 2

Battery life tweaks for the E6430?

@timohour , there's something you might want to investigate on how to improve battery life on a E6430. A good start being the list I have at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post38399

I did get to play with a E6x30 a little while ago and noticed that Dell had a utility. It was either the "Dell Power Manager" or "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack". With it, there were additional Dell Settings in the power profile where you could further disable the SD card reader and the the optical drive when switched to DC.

If monitoring the idle power consumption with say Battery Bar software, setting those would drop power consumption a further 0.5W. A nice little gain to battery life.

This utility is only for specific devices. Seems like my E6430 won't like it (it won't install no matter what).

I started from an average of 17-20W. Now after applying most of the tweaks you linked I can go as low as 10-10.5W which translates to 6:29 with my 97Wh 9-cell battery (wear level 14% capacity 85.958).

I think it is great considering this is 14" 900p dGPU model compared to the 2570p 12,5" 768p iGPU model.

Tweaks that I used:

* Disabling the dGPU had the opposite effect raising the discharge rate with ~4-5W.

* Installed SSD

* enable ASPMs

There are UEFI variables that allowed me to set ASPM for PEG0 and every pcie (1-8) but I don't think there was more than 0.5W decrease (if there was any). Need to dig more on this one. Example.

Setting: ASPM Support, Variable: 0x52

Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0

Option: L0s, Value: 0x1

Option: L1, Value: 0x2

Option: L0sL1, Value: 0x3

Option: Auto, Value: 0x4

Every pcie port was set Auto and I manually set it L0sL1

* Enable AHCI Link Power management for SSD with HIPM+DIPM set.

* Set LCD brightness to be min+3 increments for DC mode in the power profile

* Set CPU max to be 99% in power profile for DC mode in the power profile. That disables the power hungry turbo boost.

* Set iGPU for max battery in Intel control panel and power profile

* Set wifi for max battery in power profile

* Using Throttlestop to decrease lowest max multiplier from x12 (1.2Ghz) to x8 (800Mhz).

I tried this but my laptop would be almost unresponsive (very slow) and I just went back. I didn't see much difference.

There is more work needed but even at 10W minimum with light wifi browsing for the dGPU and even less for the iGPU model I think stands ok for an 14" model.

What was your minimum with the E6440?

This utility is only for specific devices. Seems like my E6430 won't like it (it won't install what so ever). I started from an average of 17-20W. Now after applying most of your the tweaks you linked I can go as low as 10-10.5W which translates to 6:29 with my 97Wh 9-cell battery (wear level 14% capacity 85.958).

I think it is great considering this is 14" 900p dGPU model compared to the 2570p 12,5" 768p iGPU model.

What was your minimum with the E6440?

The 900P E6440 got down to 4.7W idle with a Samsung S840 that supported the Series-8 chipset's DEVSLP. I have played around with a E6230 and E6430s systems and could get them down to 5.4W idle.

Notebookcheck got a i5 768P E6430 iGPU-only model idling at 7.4W min: Review Dell Latitude E6430 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . So collectively you might have some scope to drop your power consumption further.

Surprised those Dell Utilities didn't install for you. I installed the "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack" on a E6430s where had an extra "Dell Settings" item appear in the power management options. There I could disable the SD card reader on DC which gave a slight power reduction. I pay attention to that device because on a 2570P it would add a hefty ~2W overhead when active.

Oh.. and don't forget to disable the Bluetooth radio as well. There may be some power savings there. Your audio controller too might have a "power off in xxx seconds" option in the audio control panel.

Worth mentioning, the latest Haswell ULV ultrabooks can idle at 3.5-4W when equipped with a SSD!! Part of the reason for that is the their Series-8 Lynx Point chipset is on the ULV CPU itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

The 900P E6440 got down to 4.7W idle with a Samsung S840 that supported the Series-8 chipset's DEVSLP. I have played around with a E6230 and E6430s systems and could get them down to 5.4W idle.

Notebookcheck got a i5 768P E6430 iGPU-only model idling at 7.4W min: Review Dell Latitude E6430 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . So collectively you might have some scope to drop your power consumption further.

Surprised those Dell Utilities didn't install for you. I installed the "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack" on a E6430s where had an extra "Dell Settings" item appear in the power management options. There I could disable the SD card reader on DC which gave a slight power reduction. I pay attention to that device because on a 2570P it would add a hefty ~2W overhead when active.

Oh.. and don't forget to disable the Bluetooth radio as well. There may be some power savings there. Your audio controller too might have a "power off in xxx seconds" option in the audio control panel.

Worth mentioning, the latest Haswell ULV ultrabooks can idle at 3.5-4W when equipped with a SSD!! Part of the reason for that is the their Series-8 Lynx Point chipset is on the ULV CPU itself.

Ok my bad I tried again and this time it installs, no problems at all. The one I downloaded yesterday was an older version and that's probably why it wouldn't work.

The funny thing is that I saw a huge difference. Setting Extended Battery Life Power Plan (which disables almost everything aero themes, SD card etc). I also manually removed the DVD drive and the lowest idle discharge that I saw was 7.2W!!!

RBzln8o.png

Taking the full runtime from 6:29 to over 9 hrs? Impressive

Maybe better could be achieved if I replace my current SSD with an 850 EVO.

Right now I am using an old LIteOn LMT-128M6M mSATA drive that I pulled from my Chromebook with a cheap msata to sata adapter which probably spares power to heat for the 5V-->3.3V conversion.

Thanks for your help!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

The funny thing is that I saw a huge difference. Setting Extended Battery Life Power Plan (which disables almost everything aero themes, SD card etc). I also manually removed the DVD drive and I saw an idle discharge of 7.2W!!!

Taking the full runtime from 6:29 to maybe 9 hrs? (to be checked)

Right now I am using an old LIteOn LMT-128M6M mSATA drive that I pulled from my Chromebook with a cheap msata to sata adapter which probably spares power to heat for the 5V-->3.3V conversion.

Thanks for your help!!!

7.2W is more like it :) Based on my E6230 I'd say lowest possible would be 5.4W min idle on your system. Is there another 1.8W you can find? It would be a matter of investigating further and maybe discovering some more power savings.

Regardless, starting at 17-20W, then 10-10.5W and now 7.2W is a huge optimization. Congratulations :78: I'd encourage you to document the most useful battery optimization tweaks as a checklist for other E6430 owners to easily duplicate and enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

7.2W is more like it :) Based on my E6230 I'd say the best possible would be 5.4W would be the idle min on your system. Is there another 1.8W you can find? It would be a matter of investigating further and maybe discovering some more power savings.

Couldn't it be the dGPU that even @ idle uses some power? Or the extra screen size? Or even the quad core? I will continue my quote though.

I'd encourage you to document the most useful battery optimization tweaks as a checklist for other E6430 owners to easily duplicate and enjoy.
Will do.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cooling mods

UPDATE: More aggresive cooling mod by Dewos described here.

After overclocking my CPU over 4GHz I realised here that I would need something to cool my laptop down, since I couldn't complete a TS Bench 1024M without throttling

FIrst thing that I had to do is take the bottom of my laptop out elevated the laptop so it can have some fresh cold air.

I also found on an old graphics card two small aluminum heatsinks (used for the cards VRAM) that would perfectly fit on the pipes over the dGPU without poping out of the bottom. This way it could help the heat dissipate faster without messing with the CPU temperature readings...

Testing with Prime95 after 6 minutes of full load with open bottom lid temperature wouldn't cross 95°C.

Impressive if you know that it wouldn't hold a minute with Prime95 before it hit 105°C with a closed lid. Maybe a small copper shim would help by giving more pressure on contact between the CPU and the heatsink.

Well, I never believed in the use of notebook coolers... Especially those with the fancy led fans (e.g.)

However given the high temperatures my laptop meet I decided to try if a primitive one does the job and maybe build one for every day use. Salvaged an 14" fan from a dead PSU, elevated it using some old erasers and powered it up using an AC-DC 12V 1A adapter. I could use a USB port but I wanted to ran @ full speeds.

r4lN92t.jpg

. Finally powered it up with open lid and tried to make it give cold air on my fan and the aluminum heatsink I just added.

After 6 minutes of Prime95 8 worker torture test, HWMonitor won't show a max temperature over 94°C.

• Thumbs Up 2

For an Ivybridge notebook, does a Samsung 850 EVO offer anything better than the 840 EVO? We don't have DEVSLP implemented, so I imagine an Samsung 840 EVO/PRO to be the better SSD to have.

Also, is the PE4C v2.1 @x2.2 (mCPIe) the best way we can maximize our eGPU at the moment? Will it handle a GTX970 better now than a GTX770? (GTX770 was working better than GTX970 @x1.2opt). Maybe Tech Inferno Fan can help sort this one out for future e6430 users.

Thank you so much for all the help and steady progress being made here.

For an Ivybridge notebook, does a Samsung 850 EVO offer anything better than the 840 EVO? We don't have DEVSLP implemented, so I imagine an Samsung 840 EVO/PRO to be the better SSD to have.

This is debatable. According to Anandtech review, an 850 EVO would blow off an 840 EVO under load both in sequential writes and random writes with almost half as much consumption.

70042.png70043.png

and the 250GB version seems to be the best idle performer even compared to its PRO siblings.

70029.png

and the tests where made on a Z68 motherboard with a SB 2500K so no DEVSLP implemented either.

Also, is the PE4C v2.1 @x2.2 (mCPIe) the best way we can maximize our eGPU at the moment? Will it handle a GTX970 better now than a GTX770? (GTX770 was working better than GTX970 @x1.2opt). Maybe Tech Inferno Fan can help sort this one out for future e6430 users.

Thank you so much for all the help and steady progress being made here.

The only commercial product that is tested to run @ x 2.2 (8Gbps) is as you mentioned the PE4C v2.1. Total cost would be 103$ shipped worldwide.

@TheClassicalCat seems like he is creating a custom adapter which theoretically would hold an x4.2 (16Gbps) signal.

This is an ongoing project but since he didn't update, may I suggest that he ceased the project?

Given the newest announcements about the unveil of the Thunderbolt 3.0 http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10147-intel-unveils-thunderbolt-3-0-mentions-external-graphics-skylake-2016-a.html I am not fully decided what to do either.

I never used neither a GTX770 nor a GTX 970.

But I am planning to borrow an GTX970 from a friend. Maybe next month I could update with x2.2 results on my desktop.

@timohour, is it possible to do the "clean" solution @ x2 2.0 (8Gbps) for the e6430?

@miros220 Sorry I missed your post. It was while I was typing the Cooling Mods. :)

If by "clean" solution you mean use the EC and port 4, there is no proof it will work.

Till now @sskillz and myself have tried with no results (check pages 6 & 9). We haven't found yet why we can't enable port 4's TX RX. There is maybe a signal that needs to be pulled in order for port 4 to work.

I didn't have the time to implement in depth tests though. I have been planning to get some new gear (E-module USB 3.0) to test further but this could take a little while.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you @timohour.

Referring to that "GTX770 working better" issue, I mean Plug n' Playability.

It was mentioned before that a GTX970/80 requires contiguous 256MB block for PCIe allocation. Will this cause any problem on the [email protected], or is this solved by the 2Gb TOLUD tweak?

Do I also have to solder the cable connector to the eGPU port to maximize performance and stability? Or will it stay problem-free as is?

Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

@TheClassicalCat seems like he is creating a custom adapter which theoretically would hold an x4.2 (16Gbps) signal.

This is an ongoing project but since he didn't update, may I suggest that he ceased the project?

If by "clean" solution you mean use the EC and port 4, there is no proof it will work.

Till now @sskillz and myself have tried with no results (check pages 6 & 9). We haven't found yet why we can't enable port 4's TX RX. There is maybe a signal that needs to be pulled in order for port 4 to work.

I didn't have the time to implement in depth tests though. I have been planning to get some new gear (E-module USB 3.0) to test further but this could take a little while.

Yeah, it's been awhile since I worked on the x4 project, been busy since moving homes. But, here's a teaser of the near final layout before routing:

post-35713-14495000539937_thumb.jpg

And I don't fully remember where I was at with the schematic but here it is (closely followed from other schematics):

post-35713-14495000540192_thumb.jpg

As soon as I get more time I will continue this project but I would love for the E-module port to be figured out by the time I get this thing made. I have a few other projects to get done this summer with another mechanical engineering buddy so this may be a weekend only project. I already bought the connectors, no way am I giving up now :)

• Thumbs Up 3

@badbadbad Ivy Bridge based Dell latitudes have a dynamic TOLUD, so you will not have allocation problems.

Thank you Khenglish! May I ask what good the 2Gb TOLUD tweak is for then?

As soon as I get more time I will continue this project but I would love for the E-module port to be figured out by the time I get this thing made. I have a few other projects to get done this summer with another mechanical engineering buddy so this may be a weekend only project. I already bought the connectors, no way am I giving up now :)

Oh hey TheClassicalCat, good to know you haven't dropped support on the project. I have limited experience with hardware, but I'd love to find a way to help out.

x4.2 is such a dream..

Battery Life Tweaks

100th post and it must be something with value. That's at least what I thought.

Battery life on the E6430 is something that Dell boasted about at its debut, claiming that with all the batteries connected it would manage to hold more than a full day (32.7h).

Sounds amazing huh? So, after Tech Inferno Fan recommendation I decided to find out if this battery time could be reached.

Looking at reviews from notebookcheck.net, I could see that it would be the most efficient notebook among others in the same category:

Dell Latitude E6430 proves to be very energy efficient with a power consumption of 7.4 - 10.7 Watts at idle. Particularly the ThinkPad T430 and Elitebook 8470p have to provide more and brighter pixels alongside a dedicated graphics card and thus need around 5 Watts more.

Note that the HP doesn't have switchable graphics and that's most probably why it won't last long enough.

Well I would expect more power consumption than that having in mind that I own a dGPU laptop with a bright 900p screen and since the first time that I installed BatteryBar and let it to idle I could see a massive discharge rate of 17W!

So I decided to try some of the tweaks that Tech Inferno Fan gathered on the 12.5" HP Elitebook 2570P Owner's Lounge thread and some new 02.47-tranquillity.png.

Works? Tweak Difficulty
Yes Install "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack"
Select Extended Battery Life
1/5
Yes Set CPU max to be 99% in power profile for DC mode in the power profile.That disables the power hungry turbo boost.
Default with Extended Battery Life from "Dell Feature Enhancement Pack"
1/5
Yes Set iGPU for max battery in Intel control panel and power profile.
1/5
Yes Set wifi for max battery in power profile.
1/5
Yes Disable port 6 card Reader from Device Manager (almost 2W gain).
1/5
Yes Set LCD brightness to be min+3 increments for DC mode in the power profile. 1/5
Yes Manually remove the DVD.
It may be disabled with Extended Battery Life power plan but it would 0.5W less if you remove it completely.
1/5
Yes Install ssd 2/5
Yes Enable AHCI Link Power management with HIPM + DIPM set. 3/5
Yes Enable ASPMs
(using either UEFI variables or setup 1.x)
5/5
? maybe Use throttlestop to decrease lowest max multipler from x12 to x8. This resulted in a very slow computer... 1/5
X No Disabling the dGPU had the opposite effect raising the discharge rate by 4-5W.  

Using the above settings I could see a minimum of 7.2W with the BatteryBar software predicting over 9 hours with my 97Wh battery (14% wear level)

RBzln8o.png

I don't have the remaining Dell Batteries which would add up to 224Wh (9 cell on board + 9 cell on docking stations + 3 cell in E-module port II).
If I take for granted BatteryBar software results that would mean that my laptop in theory would last a little more than 23 hours. This is 9 hours less than the 32.7 advertise but keep in mind this results have been taken using a power hungry i7 quad, 1,5V dual channel memories, 900p bright screen and the dGPU model which definetely spends more power... 

I am considering using my low power i3 over my i7 quad, which would use 0.7855V compared to 0.8756V @ x12. Using single channel DDR3L Ram would also lower the power consumption but these two would have a huge toll in performance. Will have more info on this soon...

Add your tweak recommendations and maximise the time you can be away from a wall socket... Tech Inferno Fan would reach 5,4W idle on a Dell E6230 making this the goal for the iGPU model. 

Anyone with an iGPU model interested to try?

Yeah, it's been awhile since I worked on the x4 project, been busy since moving homes. But, here's a teaser of the near final layout before routing.....
As soon as I get more time I will continue this project but I would love for the E-module port to be figured out by the time I get this thing made. I have a few other projects to get done this summer with another mechanical engineering buddy so this may be a weekend only project. I already bought the connectors, no way am I giving up now smile.png

Glad you are still in on this. Hope we have working results on the E-module II port 4. Waiting to be able to purchase the E-Module II USB 3.0 bay for testing...

May I suggest that you add USB signals on your first port. It won't make any harm and you could maybe add a USB hub on eGPU for keyboard, mouse, storage or even the uplink on an external screen... 5V power is already there.

May I ask what good the 2Gb TOLUD tweak is for then?

With the dynamic TOLUD I could see that TOLUD would go as low as 3.25GB. (at least on my Latitude). This wasn't enough to use dGPU and eGPU at the same time without compaction or connect multiple eGPUs. That was at least in my case.
  • Thumbs Up 2

@timohour, the "AHCI Link Power management" enabling with HIPM+DIPM makes a significant difference if your load the Intel Rapid Storage Tech (RST) driver. I have seen at least a further 0.7W idle drop over the MS driver when doing this.

I'm pretty sure you'll see better than your current 7.2W min if trying this. I consider this a MUST DO when tweaking for battery life gains.

When I compared idle power consumption between a i7-3740QM and i5-3360M there was very little difference between the two. At most 0.2W.

OH.. and with ASPM tweak, please check if 'powercfg /energy' reports ASPM is enabled when you do the UEFI var mods as detailed at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post38399 . I found enabling L0s L1 per PCIe port having little to zero affect. It was only a by enabling global ASPM support via a ACPI FACP bit enable that saw almost 2W gain on a 2570P.

@timohour, the "AHCI Link Power management" enabling with HIPM+DIPM makes a significant difference if your load the Intel Rapid Storage Tech (RST) driver. I have seen at least a further 0.7W idle drop over the MS driver when doing this.

I'm pretty sure you'll see better than your current 7.2W min if trying this. I consider this a MUST DO when tweaking for battery life given the significant power savings it achieves.

I have the driver loaded since day one. I didn't see such a difference though. I will try disabling/enable that feature again but I think I didn't see any big change. Will get back with results. I have already switched to my i3.

With the dynamic TOLUD I could see that TOLUD would go as low as 3.25GB. (at least on my Latitude). This wasn't enough to use dGPU and eGPU at the same time without compaction or connect multiple eGPUs. That was at least in my case.

Oh nice. Does this also mean that you can theoretically have eGPU SLI: x2.2 with the mPCIe slots, and x2.2 with the ODD/Sata+EC?