Which one would you keep?

I have several old laptops and just need to get rid of one of them. I'm trying to decide between HP Elitebook 8440p with I7 and a Dell E4310 with I5. Same generation CPUs. The main differences are: size (Dell is smaller), Screen resolution (HP has better resolution), CPU (I5 vs I7), ?Number of ports (Dell has only 1 USB port vs HP that has a ton), lit up keyboard on the Dell vs an old school light on top o fthe HP screen, the HP has a discreet old Nvidia card.

Both have 8gb RAM and I'll put either a 128 or 256GB SSD into the one I'll keep. I'm going to use it as a 3rd laptop of mine solely to run security tools on (Kali Linux etc). I used to have the HP as a traveling laptop for games but my MB Air outperforms it and the thing is huge, the only benefit is I don't care if the HP gets stolen or I lose it :).

Anyway, any thoughts?

-Abak

• 2 weeks later...

First, i7 or i5 does not describe the performance of the processor.. look at the clockrate. Second, i would look after each hardware component in the internet and write down a table with pros and cons.. thats the easiest way to find the right solution :)

Sounding to me like the HP would be more viable to keep, you can use cpuboss to compare the processors. Also if HP has old discrete graphics its gonna be better than integrated any day of the week.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I do not trust HP laptops in general. I was in a similar situation once. Friend of mine had a HP and I got a Dell inspiron (Can't remember the model, it was a looong time ago, 6+ years). HP is currently in the laptop heaven and the old Dell still works as it should (For the hardware it has inside). Why not have two small laptops then? Small is beautiful and handy :)

I do not trust HP laptops in general. I was in a similar situation once. Friend of mine had a HP and I got a Dell inspiron (Can't remember the model, it was a looong time ago, 6+ years). HP is currently in the laptop heaven and the old Dell still works as it should (For the hardware it has inside). Why not have two small laptops then? Small is beautiful and handy :)

Agreed, I have friends that have had to get new laptops that previously had HPs... While I have as well it was by choice as both my old laptops are still alive and well (Both Dells). In fact, I'm still using one as a makeshift entertainment NAS