Intel Core2Duo T9400 2,53 Ghz @ 2,8 Ghz

8 GB Corsair RAM

128 GB Samsung 830 SSD + 500 GB HDD

Nvidia 9700M GT (GPU)

+

MSI N560GTX-Ti (eGPU)

connected via PE4H with 2x PM3N

2x Lanes performance (of course no Optimus):

3DMark06: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9400,ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G71V score: 9053 3DMarks

3DMarkVantage: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9400,ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G71V score: P9209 3DMarks (Graphic Score only: 12363)

3DMark11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9400,ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G71V score: P3127 3DMarks

---

now regarding the X9100: Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100 Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech

First of all it has a TDP of 44W instead of 35W (my T9400, or both T9800/T9900). So I dont know if that would even run on my laptop and it is also a question of cooling. I don´t know whether or not the standard cooling system of the G71V can take a 44W TDP processor.

Secondly right now I would say my limit is about $100 for this risky experiment. It seems the T9800 for $90 (trustworthy seller on eBay) should be okay.

Thirdly I´m not very experienced in overclocking so I have my doubts.

And last but not least, I need a new small laptop for my university, thats why I am considering the Lenovo E330 with an Ivy-Bridge CPU (e.g. i3-3110M) which is portable and has enough performance at home with an eGPU-Setup.

Not that I'm aware of, which is why your BIOS needs to be updated (if it's not the latest version) before you put the new processor in.

For me, it was simply running an .exe downloaded from HP's website. So long as you get the BIOS from your laptop manufacturer's website, it shouldn't be dangerous.

If you try ASUS G71V's site and put in your OS (scroll down on the page, under the download tab), you'll see a BIOS option. Download, run the latest BIOS option, and you're home free.

Good luck finding a repair manual, although I did find this video in my preliminary search. Maybe that'll help? (although I personally wouldn't use a drill to unscrew my laptop screws)

Thank you for doing some research for me. I´m in a rush right now but I can try the BIOS-Update later this week. The disassembly of my cooling unit doesn´t look too difficult for me. I guess if I´m going to do the upgrade it will be the T9800 because it is the only one below $100.

edit: the video in your post is just an example video for a lapto disassembly (they use an Acer laptop).