Lenovo y510p self soldered m.2 slot

MWichni

Hi guys I soldered m.2 slot as my y510p didn't have one. I installed ssd drive but my bios and system does not see it. Is it only bios (I have stock rev. 3.07 locked) related issue, or could it by something else I need to do to get my ssd to work?

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi the SSD is Adata premier pro 128GB 2242....

That's important info. ADATA SP900 Premier Pro 2242 ssd's have a firmware issue. It won't work with Windows 8.1 and AHCI mode in BIOS. You can however use it with Windows 7.

I don't remember all the details but a google search for "adata ssd y510p" will help.

Bottom line, if you want to use it you'll have to install Windows 7.

PS. Nice work with soldering!

It's a known fact, told about the adata support, that the ssd is not working on Y510P because of Device sleep function of the ssd it's not supported. Although you can install window7 with AHCI but the benchmarks are poor on writing.

I'm waiting for a Integral SSD 128gb. I should receive it by 5th of May.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. It took me a while but I managed to get the thing working. Under the connector there are 8 smd parts that need to be installed. Four of them are capacitors for AC coupling sata singals, value of the capacitors are 10nF, the other four are jumpers. I've got only picture of capacitors installed by me, I made jumpers out of thin single core copper wire.

Here are some pictures:

y510p pads.jpg

y510p smd guide.jpg

Bios setup.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

One of my friend did soldered the connector to the motherboard and the capacitors and jumpers. I have win 7 OS in AHCI mode, and neither the BIOS, nor the windows system see the SSD. Do you think that these soldering are enough? So the soldering is the problem or maybe it needs some settings in the BIOS?

Thanks  

• 2 weeks later...

For me it worked without any problem at all. Check the soldering, does the ssd get warm or maybe hot? I have used unlocked bios with ahci on. 

Regards.

Edited by MWichni

• 7 months later...

Hi everybody,
I have a question to MWichni. How did you find out where to put capacitors and jumpers? I'm going to mount M.2 connector to my notebook (ASUS TP200SA), which has only 32 GB of eMMC memory, but luckily has a place on motherboard where M.2 socket can be soldered (ASUS produced some TP200SA notebooks equiped with M.2 socket and SSD module). I wouldn't like to damage my notebook, so I'd appreciate any guidance (unfortunately ASUS didn't give me any support).
I attache a picture of the part od motherboard where I will solder M.2 connector. This is type of M.2 connector mounted on the edge of the motherboard (so called "mid-plane" or "offset" connector), but generaly it's the same story as with standard mounted M.2 sockets.
Regards

Darek

M.2.JPG

• 8 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 12:00 AM, Darek said:

Hi everybody,
I have a question to MWichni. How did you find out where to put capacitors and jumpers? I'm going to mount M.2 connector to my notebook (ASUS TP200SA), which has only 32 GB of eMMC memory, but luckily has a place on motherboard where M.2 socket can be soldered (ASUS produced some TP200SA notebooks equiped with M.2 socket and SSD module). I wouldn't like to damage my notebook, so I'd appreciate any guidance (unfortunately ASUS didn't give me any support).
I attache a picture of the part od motherboard where I will solder M.2 connector. This is type of M.2 connector mounted on the edge of the motherboard (so called "mid-plane" or "offset" connector), but generaly it's the same story as with standard mounted M.2 sockets.
Regards

Darek

hi Darek,

I found a connector that may match your pcb, you may buy it or even request samples

http://www.jae.com/z-en/product_en.cfm?l_code=en&series_code=SM3&product_number=SM3ZS067B120AB2R1500

cosailer