EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
unifying1337

GTX 980m in M15x

With gtx970m / 980m is possible function adapter 150w?

I think the prices are excessive, but will update in the future.

Hi, im new to the site i know this is not a reply but anyway heres whats up i have an alienware m15x i want to upgrade the gpu to gtx 970m i found but its for a clevo laptop i dont know if its compadible. and if i upgrade will i need to upgrade my ac power adapter ? its a 150W.

Hi, im new to the site i know this is not a reply but anyway heres whats up i have an alienware m15x i want to upgrade the gpu to gtx 970m i found but its for a clevo laptop i dont know if its compadible. and if i upgrade will i need to upgrade my ac power adapter ? its a 150W.

If it is the 970m 6gb for clevo from rjtech, yes it is compatible. Yes you should probably upgrade your power block to a 240W.

You can use both my 970M and 980M in the M15X, heat is not as much an issue as one would think, these cards run cool, if they get too hot, try and check your thermal pasting job. Also, it does help to use a higher power adapter, otherwise the card might not have enough power at maximum load.

You can use both my 970M and 980M in the M15X, heat is not as much an issue as one would think, these cards run cool, if they get too hot, try and check your thermal pasting job. Also, it does help to use a higher power adapter, otherwise the card might not have enough power at maximum load.

Hey man. Listen I'm about to buy one of your cards to install on my gt780 msi. One question tho, obvioudly thr heatsink will be a problem. But if I buy a heatsink from you, clevo or alienware heatsink, would I be able to just take thr aluminium part off the rest of the piping and fit it onto my own?

Obviously because the gt780 heatsink piping is different from say, gt72 or alienware, but I just need the aluminium part on top of the card right?

Im asking because a friend said that the piping is usually too fragile for me to be able to take the aluminium off, its too tight. Would love to hear your opinion.

Hey man. Listen I'm about to buy one of your cards to install on my gt780 msi. One question tho, obvioudly thr heatsink will be a problem. But if I buy a heatsink from you, clevo or alienware heatsink, would I be able to just take thr aluminium part off the rest of the piping and fit it onto my own?

Obviously because the gt780 heatsink piping is different from say, gt72 or alienware, but I just need the aluminium part on top of the card right?

Im asking because a friend said that the piping is usually too fragile for me to be able to take the aluminium off, its too tight. Would love to hear your opinion.

You can use a dremel kit to just gring off what you need to remove, its easy, theres no way you are going to screw it up, because this is where it touches the solonoid/capacitors near the RAM its not on the GPU die, so the area only really needs to make normal contact with the thermal pad and videocard to be fine. You can see the area in this video for instance:

Hope that helps you. Its really cheaper to buy a dremel and do it yourself, then buy the heatsink, plus no heatsinks are ever new unless they come with the laptop, and sometimes you will get one thats bent and doesn't fit properly or just the wrong one... (I hear stories, I do !)

• Thumbs Up 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Brian
      Following the release of NVIDIAs new 436.02 driver which I mentioned in an earlier article here, I've decided to make a quick and dirty video showing off NVIDIAs new Sharpen filter which is part of their Game Filter feature. It works with the most popular APIs including DX 9, 11, 12 and Vulkan and can be set on a per-game basis with granular settings of 0-100 unlike AMDs RIS which is limited to Navi and lacks DX 11 support.

View full article
    • By Brian
      Following the release of NVIDIAs new 436.02 driver which I mentioned in an earlier article here, I've decided to make a quick and dirty video showing off NVIDIAs new Sharpen filter which is part of their Game Filter feature. It works with the most popular APIs including DX 9, 11, 12 and Vulkan and can be set on a per-game basis with granular settings of 0-100 unlike AMDs RIS which is limited to Navi and lacks DX 11 support.

• By Soapy
      I reversed the input polarity on my m15x jack after a botched psu repair. Computer worked fine, but overall power control is messed up. System only boot on both battery and psu, no battery charge, and a very low battery drain (arround 6wh).

I aways had battery issues whith my 8 years old m15x after my original battery died. Bought a new one two years ago, didn't work. Checked on upower, basically no info on manufacturer, power or history. So i refunded and used the system hooked on the psu as usual. In August i bought a new one, worked flawlessly for a day. The next day the battery died from nowere. Checked upower, bus was ok, battery was charging extremely slowly (6wh), history showed subpar disharge before shutting down. I got mad at this point, decided that psu was to blame. Opened it, checked everything, noticed some wear on the male jack. Resoldered it, connected on computer. Nothing happened, so i checked the voltage. That's when i realised that i screwed up big time. I swaped the positive and negative wires. Decided that one mistake was enough, so i sent my m15x to a trusted repair shop (latter found that they just hooked the battery and gave me back as soon as it booted, they didnt even open it). Got my pc a week later, but the battery didn't charge . Worse, it was slowly discharging (same 6wh as before), and it needed both the psu and the battery to turn on. At 65%, it worked as usual for my college semester, but the battery is dead, and so is my computer. I bellieve i burned some voltage controller or something. I'm pretty competent at soldering thing's (evem smd components) when i know what to do, and i can understand simple circuit's, but when i got my hands on the m15x datasheet i got overblown. I cant make heads or tails about it. I aways lurked this forum and i bellieve your guys are the best when it comes to finding creative solutions to technical problems concerning microelectronics. I followed a guide in this forum as a teenager to upgrade this same computer to a gtx680m, overclocked stuff, got custom bios, and had a lot of fun learning. The m15x is a deprecated platform, but it's a part of my history that i dont want to let go.
      So please guys, help me.

• By Brian

View full article
    • By Adomis63
      Hi guys,

I'm sorry for making another thread just for this but I really wanted to pick your brains on this!

I have an m15x with a 770m running windows 7 and everything works. Rock. Solid. I'm pretty happy with it. Since windows 7 is on it's way out, I would like to upgrade to windows 10. Now I've looked into it before and had a really hard time getting the 770m to behave nicely and had all these issues with green/yellow/pink screens and I remember it being a miracle I got it to work on 7 as good as it does.

My question is how well does the 970m install vs the 770m - particularly on windows 10? I would buy it in a heartbeat if it makes the install less tedious with the colored screens and all that. Especially if all the functions work on it! I have been searching the internet and I cannot find nearly as many problems with the 970m as I could with the 770m, or am I just  not looking in the right places?

Thanks a million!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.