GTX 980m in M15x

unifying1337

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im new to the site i know this is not a reply but anyway heres whats up i have an alienware m15x i want to upgrade the gpu to gtx 970m i found but its for a clevo laptop i dont know if its compadible. and if i upgrade will i need to upgrade my ac power adapter ? its a 150W.

Hi, im new to the site i know this is not a reply but anyway heres whats up i have an alienware m15x i want to upgrade the gpu to gtx 970m i found but its for a clevo laptop i dont know if its compadible. and if i upgrade will i need to upgrade my ac power adapter ? its a 150W.

If it is the 970m 6gb for clevo from rjtech, yes it is compatible. Yes you should probably upgrade your power block to a 240W.

• 6 months later...

You can use both my 970M and 980M in the M15X, heat is not as much an issue as one would think, these cards run cool, if they get too hot, try and check your thermal pasting job. Also, it does help to use a higher power adapter, otherwise the card might not have enough power at maximum load.

You can use both my 970M and 980M in the M15X, heat is not as much an issue as one would think, these cards run cool, if they get too hot, try and check your thermal pasting job. Also, it does help to use a higher power adapter, otherwise the card might not have enough power at maximum load.

Hey man. Listen I'm about to buy one of your cards to install on my gt780 msi. One question tho, obvioudly thr heatsink will be a problem. But if I buy a heatsink from you, clevo or alienware heatsink, would I be able to just take thr aluminium part off the rest of the piping and fit it onto my own?

Obviously because the gt780 heatsink piping is different from say, gt72 or alienware, but I just need the aluminium part on top of the card right?

Im asking because a friend said that the piping is usually too fragile for me to be able to take the aluminium off, its too tight. Would love to hear your opinion.

Hey man. Listen I'm about to buy one of your cards to install on my gt780 msi. One question tho, obvioudly thr heatsink will be a problem. But if I buy a heatsink from you, clevo or alienware heatsink, would I be able to just take thr aluminium part off the rest of the piping and fit it onto my own?

Obviously because the gt780 heatsink piping is different from say, gt72 or alienware, but I just need the aluminium part on top of the card right?

Im asking because a friend said that the piping is usually too fragile for me to be able to take the aluminium off, its too tight. Would love to hear your opinion.

You can use a dremel kit to just gring off what you need to remove, its easy, theres no way you are going to screw it up, because this is where it touches the solonoid/capacitors near the RAM its not on the GPU die, so the area only really needs to make normal contact with the thermal pad and videocard to be fine. You can see the area in this video for instance:

Hope that helps you. Its really cheaper to buy a dremel and do it yourself, then buy the heatsink, plus no heatsinks are ever new unless they come with the laptop, and sometimes you will get one thats bent and doesn't fit properly or just the wrong one... (I hear stories, I do !)

• Thumbs Up 1