Goodbye Inspiron 1501.

Finally separating from my ol' inspiron 1501. A farewell long overdue.

It served its purpose for me to learn real basic things about computers, but thats the best i can say about it. Bringing it to school was a pain. I had no cash so i couldn't buy a battery, so i was stuck with ~ 8 minutes of battery life. Not to mention booting up took 3 and a half minutes at the least. By the time google chrome would open my computer would already be shutting down.

I no longer use this computer, seeing that i am a now proud m14x owner.

SO, the question remains, what should i do with it now? I plan on keeping it around so i could always start it up. Any good ideas are gladly taken! :)

Processor: Amd turion 64 x2

Gpu: Radeon 200m i believe

By the time google chrome would open my computer would already be shutting down.

Lol, :D

I have an ancient Toshiba laying around, I use it for some little XP programs, e.g. when I use my SPI programmer. You could format the harddisk, reinstall the OS and use it as "download laptop", media center (music), web server etc., there are several useful options, depends on your needs.

But first of all I recommend opening it, cleaning out all the dust and repaste GPU and CPU, this will probably speed up the machine a bit... my old Toshiba was throttling after minutes because of heat, the vents were literally clogged with dust.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a toughbook CF-29 that I still have to use for ETKA 7.3 and vag-com, but not much else, there's not much you can do with a dothan 1.6ghz anymore.. Second thing I would do if you plan on using it for any sort of storage is to replace the HDD. more so if it's the orginal one, 5 years is getting up there. if it were me personally, I'd donate it, I wouldn't trust it for any sort of long-term media storage with 5 years of heatsoak, a 5 year old PSU, and possible cap leakage. If you absolutely want to find a purpose for it, I'd suggest throwing XP on it and using it as an old console-game emulator, an X2 is still a lot of overkill for what's out there, but hopefully it's *just* old enough to work with most of them today.

Edited by G8GT

• 3 years later...

I have an Inpsiron 1525, paid whole bunch of money for it, I even paid extra 30 bucks to get the special designed lid cover. Served me well within one year, after the warranty expired things happened and I had to pay to replace the cracked screen, mouse button fix, hard disk replacement (my data was gone :( ) The battery can't even hold 1s. The last thing it happened was the mainboard dying. So I let it sit there for 2 years and now own an Alienware M14X, My brother suddenly brought it to the shop and paid like 35 bucks to repair. It now can serve him lol, they shop stole 1GB of my RAM tho. Damn.