CS:GO FPS problems

cacpot

Hey guys! So I have my Clevo P150EM for a few years now with the following specs:

i7 3720QM, AMD 7970M, 8GB ram, 128GB ssd and another 750gb disk. I'm currently running windows 8.1.

So I've been having this problem with my computer, I was never really satisfied with the FPS on CS:GO, but now the problem has become too big for me to ignore. When I join a server my fps vary from 100-140, but after some time, maybe 20 minutes, it drastically drops and doesn't go higher 60, even dropping as low as 30 in certain areas. I run everything on low, and all "fps eater" options are disabled. All set to performance on Catalyst, on my computer's power settings and I even optimized the game further following a guide which used RadeonPro.

I'm going to try to find time to get my laptop to a repair shop tomorrow, so they can open it to clean it up and replace the thermal paste. I also need to buy a new cooler, as CPU and GPU temperatures are at 95ºC during gameplay.

If anyone has more suggestions, tips, or advice on what I should do in this situation, I'll be greatly appreciative. I came upon this forum searching for stuff related to my computer, and it seems to have well-informed people and I post in the hopes that your advice will help me.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe you have a bottleneck in your system, that reduces the general performance of the laptop, when it runs too hot. Make sure you (or someone else if you don't trust yourself) open it up and clean the dust before you search for the bottleneck! I hope these tips could help you. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Does your CS:GO freeze or skip? It's mostly noticeable for me when anything is loading. The audio skips a little bit or stutters and the screen freezes. Extremely annoying to play on. Like said above, drivers are most likely your issue, Things you may have installed may have messed with the graphics drivers.

Whoa! This is a month old thread, but I'm sure someone else will do a search and want to know what to do soon after.

I think your main problem is what others stated before: your computer is probably being raided by dust bunnies and you simply need to clean it.

I also use a laptop to play games, so I have to keep it clean constantly. A few things you can do:

1. But what also helps is a fan for underneath the laptop in order to dissipate the heat further.

2. Also another upgrade you can add is an SSD. Works wonders for speed loading but it will also lower the amount of heat generated (less friction from moving parts, just electrons moving around makes less heat and uses less energy = more battery life on a laptop!).

3. Like others stated, you should also check your settings to make sure you're not on 'power saver or balanced mode' on your power settings. In terms of graphics card settings, set everything to performance mode (I use nVidia so I can't attest to how you would be able to do that, but basically, less quality and more performance).

4. I think CS:GO is one of the easiest games to run on almost any recently made PC, but what you can also do is run the game in 'windowed mode' and use a lower resolution (perhaps one step below 1080p), I usually do that when I feel like the game is running a little slow.

5. And of course, turn off any programs that are power hungry (like the 50 tabs on Google Chrome, playing 35 YouTube videos; those aren't going to help you).

But I think the main thing is just canned-air blowing our the dust particles in your computer will do wonders for your system, so I'd start with that, then go down the list afterwards.

Best of luck!

Another thing to add to Mr Peas Post -

- Try limiting the fps to 120 by typing "fps_max 120" in console. Its an odd fix that does work for some people, usually running older cards.

(f you're running a monitor at 144Hz, you can change it to 144 but you wont notice much difference.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

i had similar Problems with my old MSI GT70. I tried everything, but the problem was caused not by dust or something else. It was the crap "NVidia Optimus Technology" that caused my problems. I don't really know why it is so difficult to say a Laptop to use only the dedicated GPU...

I solved the problem later this way: (second Monitor needed)

#1 Plug in the Monitor Cable to your Laptop VGA port

#2 Go to your Desktop and right click (i used Windows 7, also works on Windows 8/8.1)

#3 Chose Display Settings

#4 Make the external Display to the Main-Display

#5 Start the Game

#6 Press Windows+P and change the settings, that only the Laptop Display will be active

#7 Play the Game without problems

I hope i could help you and other guys.

I found a way to do this without a secondary Display. Need time to search for it, When i found it again i will post it here.

Greetings ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had the same problem....lowered shadow quality and turned off fxaa antialiasing, but the biggest difference was fps_max 70 command. You can also limit it to higher, but in my case 70 was fine for smooth picture and constant lower gpu temps (60-70 °C ) . By lowering settings alone, you wont get around overheating problem, you will just get more fps with same gpu temps.

• 3 months later...

I also recommend going for fps_max x with a number of fps that u can run stable. I can get 120-130 fps, but with smokes and shooting they can drop below 100, so I have fps_max 99, and it's stable pretty much all the time, which is so much better than fps dips. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

set an fps_max on it so your GPU doesn't overhear while gaming, i have the same issue

another option is to reset the game config settings, you can remove the Steam/userdata/xxxxxx/730 folder

if you delete that cs;go will recreate the default config settings on next run

• 4 weeks later...

Could be a problem with dust. I had a similar problem in the past and the solution was to remove all the dust and dirt that have ended inside my pc through the years. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...