EGPU lenovo y510p

horalph

Hi,

HAs anyone got a egpu setup working on the y510p.

I saw a post about this where people are trying to connect it via ultrabay, but has anybody used the mpcie to do this?

I was thinking the stickied bios mod with a mpcie to pcie adapter can make this work. but haven't tried yet.

thoughts?

• 1 month later...
no one have tried eGPU via mpcie yet?

No one has posted such a thing with the y510p anywhere I can see. Which is why I am being the guinea pig and testing this out myself. I see no reason why it would not work once the white list is removed with the modded bios on here. Since I don't want it to be a total waste of money I'll be using the $50 cheaper PE4C adapter to mPCIe with a 970. Once I have received all of the components I'll test it and get back to you on it.

No one has posted such a thing with the y510p anywhere I can see. Which is why I am being the guinea pig and testing this out myself. I see no reason why it would not work once the white list is removed with the modded bios on here. Since I don't want it to be a total waste of money I'll be using the $50 cheaper PE4C adapter to mPCIe with a 970. Once I have received all of the components I'll test it and get back to you on it.

tag me later please.

• 3 weeks later...
Any news?

Yes actually I just got the gpu yesterday. Had a change of plans, Im now using an R9 280x. It works surprisingly well. Connected it, installed the amd driver and that was it. I have no troubles what so ever. I did have to disable the internal 755m because games would automatically choose it instead. I have not tried it with the second 755m yet so Ill have to see later today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes actually I just got the gpu yesterday. Had a change of plans, Im now using an R9 280x. It works surprisingly well. Connected it, installed the amd driver and that was it. I have no troubles what so ever. I did have to disable the internal 755m because games would automatically choose it instead. I have no tried it with the second 755m yet so Ill have to see later today.

wonder if it will work on my y400....

Ok could someone please tell me what all of this is? I tried google but in vain...

If you are meaning what is an "egpu" it just means external gpu. Laptops have an internal gpu or igpu. They also have a mini PCIe or mPCIe slot, used for wifi. Its just the laptops version of a x1 PCIe slot, so using, and an adapter, this we can connect a desktop gpu externally, an egpu.

wonder if it will work on my y400....

It should, there is nothing stopping it, except a whitelist, but once removed everything should work just fine.

If you are meaning what is an "egpu" it just means external gpu. Laptops have an internal gpu or igpu. They also have a mini PCIe or mPCIe slot, used for wifi. Its just the laptops version of a x1 PCIe slot, so using, and an adapter, this we can connect a desktop gpu externally, an egpu.

Thank You so much for that information. If the eGPU uses the PCIe slot then where do we reroute the WIFI to if one doesn't have the NGFF connector? Secondly, what would be needed apart from a casing a GPU and PSU and what would be the general cost of adding an eGPU to the laptop if I were to add R9 380.

It should, there is nothing stopping it, except a whitelist, but once removed everything should work just fine.

but it got no optimus.

so I should only disable gt750m in device manager on windows, rite?

not dGPU in bios.

p/s: planning to do eGPU 'round next year since OC-ed gt750m still could run all of my current games.

Thank You so much for that information. If the eGPU uses the PCIe slot then where do we reroute the WIFI to if one doesn't have the NGFF connector? Secondly, what would be needed apart from a casing a GPU and PSU and what would be the general cost of adding an eGPU to the laptop if I were to add R9 380.

USB wifi adapter.

As loki said, a usb wifi adapter, or if you have another laptop that no one uses you could bridge the wireless and the ethernet on that laptop and connect it to the egpu laptop. Thats my setup, not the prettiest or neatest but I plan on organizing it more than what it currently is. As for the price, The egpu adapter, PCIe to mPCIe costs about $50 to $60 USD. That depends if you get the banggood version, or the bplus one. I have the bplus version. The only bad thing I can say about it is that they made the glossy side on the bottom instead of the top.The PSU I bought was a refurbished EVGA 500w for $30 USD. Now, the GPU I bought was a used 280x by Diamond for $160. I would recommend either getting the 280x now or wait for the 380x, The 280x is cheaper and faster than the 380, the only reason you should get the 380 is if you REALLY need that 1 extra gigabyte of vram. You technically do not need a case since the bplus adapter comes with a stand and mounts for the gpu, you would be better off making your own case unless you want to pay $30 more for the higher tier adapter and another $60 for its case. Total: $270+ Im sorry for making you read so much haha

but it got no optimus.

so I should only disable gt750m in device manager on windows, rite?

not dGPU in bios.

p/s: planning to do eGPU 'round next year since OC-ed gt750m still could run all of my current games.

I disabled the dgpu in device manager but then noticed it was still being used sometimes so I uninstalled the driver for it. I did have to go into the bios and change the igpu from "auto" to "enabled". I noticed overclocking the 750 or 755 only added around 4-6 fps, that didn't stop me from doing it but still. I got a bad overclocking 280x, if I do anything above 1075 Mhz it crashes and resets. It may be the windows 10 messing with the driver or the egpu setup but I was hoping for more :/

As loki said, a usb wifi adapter, or if you have another laptop that no one uses you could bridge the wireless and the ethernet on that laptop and connect it to the egpu laptop. Thats my setup, not the prettiest or neatest but I plan on organizing it more than what it currently is. As for the price, The egpu adapter, PCIe to mPCIe costs about $50 to $60 USD. That depends if you get the banggood version, or the bplus one. I have the bplus version. The only bad thing I can say about it is that they made the glossy side on the bottom instead of the top.The PSU I bought was a refurbished EVGA 500w for $30 USD. Now, the GPU I bought was a used 280x by Diamond for $160. I would recommend either getting the 280x now or wait for the 380x, The 280x is cheaper and faster than the 380, the only reason you should get the 380 is if you REALLY need that 1 extra gigabyte of vram. You technically do not need a case since the bplus adapter comes with a stand and mounts for the gpu, you would be better off making your own case unless you want to pay $30 more for the higher tier adapter and another $60 for its case. Total: $270+ Im sorry for making you read so much haha

I disabled the dgpu in device manager but then noticed it was still being used sometimes so I uninstalled the driver for it. I did have to go into the bios and change the igpu from "auto" to "enabled". I noticed overclocking the 750 or 755 only added around 4-6 fps, that didn't stop me from doing it but still. I got a bad overclocking 280x, if I do anything above 1075 Mhz it crashes and resets. It may be the windows 10 messing with the driver or the egpu setup but I was hoping for more :/

ya didn't mention external monitor.

'm guessin' yar usin' internal LCD.

didjya use some software or bios automatically selected internal LCD?

Thank you for the details and I don't mind the long read, infact you should add some pictures to tell us more. Secondly, If I understood this correctly, the eGPU only requires the PCIe slot? Is it possible then to connect any normal laptop with an eGPU? Lastly, did you have the SLi setup?

ya didn't mention external monitor.

'm guessin' yar usin' internal LCD.

didjya use some software or bios automatically selected internal LCD?

That is only possible with an nvidia card, I have an amd so I use a tv I never used in my room. I think with nvidia cards its automatic though i couldn't say for sure.

Thank you for the details and I don't mind the long read, infact you should add some pictures to tell us more. Secondly, If I understood this correctly, the eGPU only requires the PCIe slot? Is it possible then to connect any normal laptop with an eGPU? Lastly, did you have the SLi setup?

You're very welcome and I will provide pictures, possibly a guide? Still thinkin on that. Yes, any laptop that uses a mPCIe slot or an expresscard. Theres three different connectors, mPCIe, expresscard and a x4 PCIe which Im not sure why someone would use that. I do have the sli setup with 755m's though Ive been kinda forgetful and haven't tested if I works while its enabled or even connected to the laptop, sorryy.

That is only possible with an nvidia card, I have an amd so I use a tv I never used in my room. I think with nvidia cards its automatic though i couldn't say for sure.

You're very welcome and I will provide pictures, possibly a guide? Still thinkin on that. Yes, any laptop that uses a mPCIe slot or an expresscard. Theres three different connectors, mPCIe, expresscard and a x4 PCIe which Im not sure why someone would use that. I do have the sli setup with 755m's though Ive been kinda forgetful and haven't tested if I works while its enabled or even connected to the laptop, sorryy.

good to know.

btw,

is the FFC cables fragile? it looked like it.

assuming ya bought PE4C-PM3E V1.2.

A guide would be great. Good luck with your endeavors!