15" MSI WS60-2OJ + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Orowheat]

Here's an implementation I haven't seen yet. Got myself one of these: MSI WS60, an AKITIO Thunder2, and the Zotac GTX 970. I'll get some benchmarks in later (next weekend) because of school, but I've played a little bit of Shadow of Mordor with most settings on ultra and no lag, so thats promising.

EDIT: Just "stress tested" (played assassins creed unity on high) for 2ish hours, system is rock solid

I've labeled this a WIP however because I can't get the dGPU to work without crashing the system. The closest substitute to this computer would be the W540/W541 due to the workstation dGPU, and in accordance with this so far the key has been to not allow the dGPU to install or I'll get a BSOD (driver irql not less or equal or something on nvlddmkm.sys) on boot. I'd really like to be able to get the dGPU to work, so calling @Tech Inferno Fan or anyone else who can offer suggestions. So far I've tried pushing the dGPU out of 32 bit space by compacting the eGPU into 32-bit space ignoring the dGPU, then calling dGPU[off], but to no avail. The dGPU does turn off, but as far as I can tell reenables the instant windows boots up (albiet in the 93rd pci slot rather than the 1st, I tested turning the dGPU off without the eGPU present otherwise it will BSOD). Is there any way to keep it disabled or is that just a windows thing? I have written up a DSDT override (used it to get all 3 gpu's compacted originally), so if that's required I already have it.

I'd really like to get the dGPU working so I don't have to install 8.1 twice to get both eGPU and dGPU functionality. Thanks in advance!

Current Working Method:

1. Disconnect eGPU and DDU the system

2. Reconnect eGPU, then disable dGPU in windows device manager

3. Install drivers for eGPU ONLY by rightclick->update drivers in device manager

4. Restart, in Setup 1.30 PCI compact limit 3.78GB ignore dGPU ALL except SATA...etc., then chainload mbr

5. Boot to Windows 8.1, connect external monitor to gtx970

6. Delete C:\NVIDIA to prevent drivers from auto-installing onto dGPU

Result: detected and working, but dGPU has to be disabled and drivers prevented from installing

post-17902-14494999758465_thumb.png

MSI WS60 specifications

i7-4720HQ

16GB RAM

NVIDIA K2100M

Thunderbolt2 port

eGPU Hardware

Akitio Thunder2 Box

Zotac GTX 970

430w Seasonic S12II

Benchmark results

3dmark Vantage just kept crashing at the very end, so I gave up. All of these results are with the dGPU active but dedicated to PhysX. I turned it off and ran 3DMark 11 again but it was lower by only 6 points so I didn't bother with the others.

3dmark13-FS.GPU=9455

3dmark11.GPU=12005

3dmark06=26253

Screencaps of results are in the spoiler:

Spoiler

1b7ba8371f.thumb.jpg.924c0c9866dadd7807ca3810724f0.thumb.jpg.fe474468f06dca9c582f116331652.thumb.jpg.e7da717a6f4493b401e

Alright this is a weird situation. I left my computer on overnight, and the driver reconfigured without my knowledge to include both the dGPU and eGPU. I can't boot to windows with both of them on, but if I disable the dGPU in windows and restart with the eGPU attached, PCI compact ignoring dGPU, then chainload to windows there is no BSOD, and I can then reenable the dGPU without crashing the system, and gaining the ability to dedicate the dGPU to PhysX. This has left me thoroughly confused, but I'm not gonna question it.

I do have a question, however, directed toward @Tech Inferno Fan or anyone else with knowledge on the subject. Can I use the dGPU for PhysX without any negative repercussions? Previously this would disable Optimus compression to the eGPU, but under the x4-16Gbps link using Thunderbolt, does Optimus compression still exist?

Images of everything working:

post-17902-14494999767622_thumb.png

post-17902-14494999767257_thumb.png

Alright this is a weird situation. I left my computer on overnight, and the driver reconfigured without my knowledge to include both the dGPU and eGPU. I can't boot to windows with both of them on, but if I disable the dGPU in windows and restart with the eGPU attached, PCI compact ignoring dGPU, then chainload to windows there is no BSOD, and I can then reenable the dGPU without crashing the system, and gaining the ability to dedicate the dGPU to PhysX. This has left me thoroughly confused, but I'm not gonna question it.

I do have a question, however, directed toward @Tech Inferno Fan or anyone else with knowledge on the subject. Can I use the dGPU for PhysX without any negative repercussions? Previously this would disable Optimus compression to the eGPU, but under the x4-16Gbps link using Thunderbolt, does Optimus compression still exist?

Images of everything working:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14573[/ATTACH]

Only thing you miss out on when running the iGPU + dGPU + eGPU rather than say the iGPU + eGPU is Optimus' accelerated internal LCD mode. Optimus' x1 pci-e compression we see with EC/mPCIe implementations isn't engaged by the driver since you are running a superior x4 rather than x1 PCIe link.

Only thing you miss out on when running the iGPU + dGPU + eGPU rather than say the iGPU + eGPU is Optimus' accelerated internal LCD mode. Optimus' x1 pci-e compression we see with EC/mPCIe implementations isn't engaged by the driver since you are running a superior x4 rather than x1 PCIe link.

Cool, Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Orowheat I'm doing the same build than u with the exact same computer and so on but my is not working even if it is detected. Here is a screen from what i get in gpuz. I'm stuck at this point from a long time and I really want it to work so help me please !!!post-35424-14495000293833_thumb.png