Nvidia driver or OEM drivers

Use the Nvidia Drivers. OEM drivers are often behind and eventually they'll stop certifying the drivers for your device.

The only downside is that some features within OEM drivers might not be available in Nvidia Drivers. An example of this is on my M15x. OEM and older Nvidia drivers allowed audio-out via display port, newer Nvidia drivers have that specific audio-out via displayport on my card disabled.

However i can always use the regular headphone jack for audio out.

The upside is that the drivers are optimized for new release games and other graphical needs.

Whichever way you go, Dell will eventually stop releasing drivers for whatever card you have and you'll have to start using Nvidia drivers if you want to stay with the times.

If anything ever goes wrong, you can always roll-back to an older driver.

• 3 months later...

I always get the latest drivers from Nvidia and never had issues. They fixed the old Full RGB output issue in the newest drivers and give you more control of the output which you can't get with Dell's old OEM drivers.

Dell will recommend you use the drivers on their website first , as they are the ones which are officially tested with their own hardware. However as mentioned, they are never going to be as recent as those from NVIDIA.

Then if you experience any issues of a graphic related nature, they will then recommend trying to update to NVIDIA's drivers anyway (in a tech support related enquiry that is)

In my personal experience, I just always use the latest from NVIDIA. You always want the latest driver if you are using your system for gaming - which, lets face it, an Alienware was built for.

The reason I go with the latest from NVIDIA, is quite simply because of issues ive faced in games. E.g. I had an M17xr3 460m, using Dell's driver.

Installed Tomb Raider. Watched the first video sequence, then it went to start the actual gameplay - BANG - game exited to desktop, with no error at all?!

I updated drivers to NVIDIA's latest - issue instantly resolved.

Just things like that. I was under the impression the game was corrupt, but it ended up being the driver at fault!