[Updated!] $329 Sonnet EE SEL and [NEW] $349 Sonnet EE SE I (16Gbps TB2) Discussion

mnrc

For those following Sonnet's offerings, they recently refreshed their range of TB2 products as well as their prices.

The new Sonnet Echo Express SEL has a new MSRP of $329 (previous $399) and a new black color scheme.

They've also introduced a new model that sits in between the SEL and the SE II: the Echo Express SE I for MSRP $349.

This has also lead to a great decrease in the price of the older SEL to $269 at BH. The new and old SEL seem to have identical specs other than color, so this is a great deal.

I'm personally interested in the SE I because it can accept full height, double-width cards. Unfortunately, the mechanical PCIe connector is still stuck at 8x, requiring a riser or some filing away of the plastic end. AC adapter is rated at 80W, which is too low for any card other than the GTX 750Ti (or its successor) without an external PSU. Still, I think that this enclosure is ideal for a compact solution, ignoring the Akitio Thunder2.

prodhdr_echoexpressselb.jpg

prodhdr_echoexpressse1.jpg

post-28471-14494999735649_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Hello,

Currently I'm using a Sonnet Echo Express SEL (connected to a MacBook with thunderbolt 2) and I'm wondering if there are any differences between this adapter and the AKiTiO Thunder2.

would switching the adapter increase performance or stability?

thanks in advance