Using laptop without the battery attached (Plugged In)

So I've had this G75VW for a while and for the most part it's always plugged in with the battery attached.

Of course this is pretty much necessary because during gaming if you run purely on battery you either give up all performance, or it dies so quick you can barely start to enjoy yourself. However on the offside, I've noticed that my battery doesn't last any more than maybe 40-50 minutes approx. in balanced mode.

So as I'm looking for a new gaming/workstation computer. I wondering is it better to use it while it's plugged with the battery disconnected, and saved he battery from when I'm actually traveling so that I can squeeze some more life out of it, or if it still won't make that big of a difference. Obviously there are some risk that come along with that, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it, or has an opinion on it.

So I've had this G75VW for a while and for the most part it's always plugged in with the battery attached.

Of course this is pretty much necessary because during gaming if you run purely on battery you either give up all performance, or it dies so quick you can barely start to enjoy yourself. However on the offside, I've noticed that my battery doesn't last any more than maybe 40-50 minutes approx. in balanced mode.

So as I'm looking for a new gaming/workstation computer. I wondering is it better to use it while it's plugged with the battery disconnected, and saved he battery from when I'm actually traveling so that I can squeeze some more life out of it, or if it still won't make that big of a difference. Obviously there are some risk that come along with that, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it, or has an opinion on it.

Afaik it doesn't make any difference if the battery is connected or not while the power supply is connected.

• Thumbs Up 1

As Suoah says, when the computers is pluged to the power supply, it doesn't get any energy of the battery, it only charges it if not full. If it's full, the computer internally disconects the battery.

• Thumbs Up 1

Keeping battery at 60% keeps it working a bit longer. For example, Lenovo battery management software notices if most of your notebook usage is plugged in, and tells you that you might want to keep your battery at 60%, because it will keep your battery at better health.

Another case related to keeping battery inside notebook: I once got to repair an Older model (QL-62 age Acer) that would crash all the time if the battery was plugged in. I suppose the battery had come to it's end, and caused shorts or something, which made the whole notebook crash from time to time.

• Thumbs Up 2

honestly i would never consider "Mobile Gaming" on any gaming laptop, battery just dies waaaay to fast from any gaming laptop ive used anyway and you can barely use it for conventional websurfing/music etc without it having the same effect, i just took out my battery and keep my computer hooked up to a docking station. if anything bring a power cable instead of the battery when your going out lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Appreciate the opinions. Looking at everything on here I'm guessing that probably the problem I'm looking at now is the battery has about run it course. I'll just buy a new one, even if that's not the cause at least I'll have an extra one I can carry with me.

@imosnk I'm definitely not about Mobile Gaming either, but I do sometimes head out for coffee or something while I'm working on projects just to change scenery for a bit, and carrying that big a** brick is just a headache sometimes lol.

Again, thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friend, As our friends said, there is no diferrence when you are pluged in.

My older laptop was Toshiba Sattelite A305, and I was playing with it while my battery was connected and pluged in. As the result, after 2-3 years, it's battery became usable only for 10 minutes.

So if you want to have a good battery life, the best option is not to connect it when playing games and when you have access to plug in.

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago in a website about phones and such, there was a topic on battery storage, something about having the battery stored when it's charge is ~40%. I tend to follow that theory and my 18month batery still holds quite well for me. Also batteries tend to heat the nb up while being charged (the electronics of the circuit have to dissipate their heat). So overall it's better to remove the battery while it's not being used (being charged for latter in the day or in use).

• 5 weeks later...

Don't remove your battery when you plugged in your laptop, because the battery is the one who have stabilizer function for your motherboard. Keep battery plugged in, it will make the battery have a long life, don't be scared your battery broken, because battery will be broken when you always used it mobile, every battery have a cycle count.

Don't remove your battery when you plugged in your laptop, because the battery is the one who have stabilizer function for your motherboard. Keep battery plugged in, it will make the battery have a long life, don't be scared your battery broken, because battery will be broken when you always used it mobile, every battery have a cycle count.

I believe he is referring to the capacitive nature of the battery. Power engineering in laptops may rely on it to a lesser or greater extent. On some HP laptops I've used, the laptop won't turn on even if the AC is plugged in if there is no battery installed. You can power them on, then remove the battery and they will continue running. I've never tried using it for a long period of time this way so I can't comment on the stability, but it seems to me if they designed it so it can't be powered on without the battery in place, you may be taking a risk. Especially with dirty power.

Leave the battery in. Seriously, you gain very little from removing it. People get so uptight about it, drives me nuts. Just leave it in. I know someone that removed the battery because he wanted to conserve it (which is not really achievable considering they lose capacity over time anyhow) and went and spent $200 on a conventional UPS for his laptop. /facepalm.jpg/ What!? Leave it in. Worse case, buy another one in 2 years for $50-$100. /shrug/.

And people that say that they remove it because they don't need to run on the battery, well then why are you removing it in the first place then!? It's free power outage safety. Trip over your cord, adjust your laptop and cord comes out, cat plays with the cord, whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise leaving it in. Laptops were designed to have the battery inside. If you are using the mains, battery, at least to my knowledge, is not in use whatsoever. If you bought the laptop from one of the major brands, you will most likely find a replacement for a damaged battery if you should need one. Most importantly, by the time your battery wears completely down, you will have a new shiny laptop with everything fresh inside. So, whats the point?

Somtimes the battery life is getting way worse if you have your laptop connected nearly full time to the charger because it decharges just a few percent and these getting charged again. Even if the major brands say that their battery has no memory effect the capacity is getting faster worse if you have it plugged in through the heat differences.