Upgrading NP9130 GPU questions

jaredhello

Hey all.

I know this thread type has probably already been done but I have a few specific questions to ask about upgrading my laptop.

I recently acquired a GTX 870M but upon further realization, it seems that this card is just straight up incompatible with my laptop's hardware. I got it for a really cheap price secondhand because the guy I got it from was having a hard time getting rid of it.

I've already done Prema's bios mod, and basically have my computer ready to upgrade to something but I'm unsure what to upgrade it to.

I've seen that Kenglish seems to have installed a 7970M into his laptop, would that be a relatively easy upgrade to do and worthwhile from a 670M card? The 7970M seems to be pretty cheap on eBay too! :distrust:

Or, should I wait until Prema gets the mods done for the bios/vbios to allow the GTX 8 series to work in the EM series of laptops? :62:

OR, should I try and just get a GTX 9 series card?:amazed:

If I try to get another card though I'd need to get rid of the 870M I have, because otherwise it's basically useless to me and that's how I planned on getting the money to upgrade my laptop in the first place.

Only the Alienware/Dell version of the 7970m is cheap on ebay, and unfortunately you can only use the clevo version, which costs more. Considering the higher price of the clevo 7970m cards, you might as well pay slightly more to get a 970m.

Sadly that doesn't work as the Dell uses a different spectrum to report thermal values to the mobo...that is not regulated by the vBIOS but hardware as it'll have the same problem even without any vBIOS chip present.

Sadly that doesn't work as the Dell uses a different spectrum to report thermal values to the mobo...that is not regulated by the vBIOS but hardware as it'll have the same problem even without any vBIOS chip present.

Huh. That's kind of surprising. So there's no way to mod the card to behave like a clevo one, then eh?

Hm.

Prema, what's your honest take on this? Should I wait for the vbios/bios mod for the 800 series?

Or should I try and get an 900 series? I can get a 965M for pretty cheap considering and it's a pretty nice upgrade. Do you know if it would be a compatible card with my laptop or no?

Hey guys,

I am in a very similar situation - the main difference is that I am running the NP9370/P370EM. My 7970m gave out on me, and I had acquired an 870m gpu since it was a steal - that was before I realized that I should have probably gotten an GTX970m/GTX980m since that card is currently functioning in my EM series notebook. If there is anything I can currently do to get this working, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bri.