220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

can someone help me too? i havent bought the external gpu as i cant figure out the powersuplly thing. Can someone either sell me one or make one for me? I can pay them no problem!

Wanting to do portable solution so when i travel i can use in hotel. will get gtx1060. need powersupply!

Hi Guys,

Long time reader first time poster here.

Would 220w Dell AC adapter with 5.5 2.5 connector like this one http://item.rakuten.co.jp/arcat/d220p-01 be enough to power Akitio Thunder2 with 75w GTX card (e.g 950 or 1050) without any additional modes?

As far as I know there aren't any additional power connectors on 75w GTX cards.

13 hours ago, nandemofoto said:

Hi Guys,

Long time reader first time poster here.

Would 220w Dell AC adapter with 5.5 2.5 connector like this one http://item.rakuten.co.jp/arcat/d220p-01 be enough to power Akitio Thunder2 with 75w GTX card (e.g 950 or 1050) without any additional modes?

As far as I know there aren't any additional power connectors on 75w GTX cards.

Yes. I've used a 180W Dell Adapter with my GTX750Ti in the Akitio without any additional power or mods. It worked just fine, even with a BIOS edit of the GTX750Ti to increase the max TDP setting. Just make sure that the card you are getting doesn't have an extra power plug: GTX950s and GTX1050s come in both flavors, so you need to check on a per-model basis.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got my Dell Da-2 connected to gtx1060 and akitio box with 8pin to 6pin&2.5mm barrel. It powers both graphic card and akitio box very well. 

But, shouldn't graphic card be turned off when akitio box is in green light? In other words, shouldn't graphic card be running only when akitio box is connected to a powered on macbook? 

My graphic card just runs crazy even when akitio box is turned off in green light, and slowly settles down when the box turns on and emits blue light. 

What could be the problem? Somebody please help

4 hours ago, SnJAe said:

I've got my Dell Da-2 connected to gtx1060 and akitio box with 8pin to 6pin&2.5mm barrel. It powers both graphic card and akitio box very well. 

But, shouldn't graphic card be turned off when akitio box is in green light? In other words, shouldn't graphic card be running only when akitio box is connected to a powered on macbook? 

My graphic card just runs crazy even when akitio box is turned off in green light, and slowly settles down when the box turns on and emits blue light. 

What could be the problem? Somebody please help

You will need to actually power the DA-2 down since it will keep providing power to the 6-pin and feed power to the card for as long as it is on. The Akitio does power down the slot itself when there is no host connected, but it cannot control the 6-pin input to your video card. This is why I added a power switch to my DA-2 instead of using the paper-clip trick to power it up. That way I can power it down completely.

8 hours ago, Yukikaze said:

You will need to actually power the DA-2 down since it will keep providing power to the 6-pin and feed power to the card for as long as it is on. The Akitio does power down the slot itself when there is no host connected, but it cannot control the 6-pin input to your video card. This is why I added a power switch to my DA-2 instead of using the paper-clip trick to power it up. That way I can power it down completely.

Thanks!! So it is nomal to have video card powered on like that right? It shouldn't affect the actual booting of windows right?

13 minutes ago, SnJAe said:

Thanks!! So it is nomal to have video card powered on like that right? It shouldn't affect the actual booting of windows right?

Yes, it is normal, but I'd still power down the DA-2 completely when you're not using the eGPU.

17 minutes ago, Yukikaze said:

Yes, it is normal, but I'd still power down the DA-2 completely when you're not using the eGPU.

Thanks for your advice!! so power supply wasn't the problem for my egpu system... So why wouldn't my early 2015 MBPR 13'' wouldn't boot into windows8.1 with egpu connected....

On 11/3/2016 at 2:11 PM, n8ballz said:

Does anyone know if someone is still selling the Akitio eGPU 8 PIN TO 2 x PCI-E 6 PIN super low profile no latch & 1 x BARREL?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akitio-eGPU-8-PIN-TO-2-x-PCI-E-6-PIN-super-low-profile-no-latch-1-x-BARREL-/261932428549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfc63ad05

I would buy one as well

@loucountryman I can help, but the low profile PCIe plugs would make it pricy. Easiest way would be to get the angled adapter yourself and I would provide an adapter for the rest. For you that would just mean to plug them together.

I like these flat angled adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261391561885?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

6 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@loucountryman I can help, but the low profile PCIe plugs would make it pricy. Easiest way would be to get the angled adapter yourself and I would provide an adapter for the rest. For you that would just mean to plug them together.

I like these flat angled adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261391561885?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I really wish someone would make one of these adapters for me. 

I have the akitio, have the graphics card and now just need a power supply to make this all work. I would love if someone could make a DA-2 Adapter for me. I can pay you whatever you want!

1 hour ago, goto35 said:

I really wish someone would make one of these adapters for me. 

I have the akitio, have the graphics card and now just need a power supply to make this all work. I would love if someone could make a DA-2 Adapter for me. I can pay you whatever you want!

I can...!

Hey all,

Thanks for all the great info.  I saw that some of the adapters on eBay linked in this thread are no longer available.  Would this one do the trick? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Akitio-Thunder2-Dell-DA-2-PCI-E-External-Video-Box-Power-Supply-Solution-/232140158055?hash=item360ca1b467:g:t4QAAOSw44BYJSAA

4 hours ago, narin said:

Hey all,

Thanks for all the great info.  I saw that some of the adapters on eBay linked in this thread are no longer available.  Would this one do the trick? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Akitio-Thunder2-Dell-DA-2-PCI-E-External-Video-Box-Power-Supply-Solution-/232140158055?hash=item360ca1b467:g:t4QAAOSw44BYJSAA

Seems good! But it has just 1x6-pin, if that is enough.

That shop is funny, making a confidential sticker on the pinout so nobody could guess how to wire it. But 10sec google will bring you to page 1 here ;)

1 hour ago, Dschijn said:

That shop is funny, making a confidential sticker on the pinout so nobody could guess how to wire it. But 10sec google will bring you to page 1 here ;)

so is this plug and play? If so omg this is perfect!

Now whats the biggest graphics card that he Akitio can fit?

8 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

EVGA 1060 SC with a single fan. Maybe the Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Mini will fit as well.

thanks. will hold off on ordering until i get more info on the node. if it works with the tb3 to tb2 adapter might be the better way to go and to future proof. I also have a GTX980ti sitting at home that i can use for this and looks like a nice way to use without modifying anything. 

9 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Thank you very much for your reply and contribution to this thread.

1x6-pin should be enough for the video card I intend to use.  I am still confused about the powering on/off the PSU though.  Sorry I'm a noob at electrical.  Is the paperclip trick needed to turn on the PSU if I get this eBay adapter?  How about turning off the PSU?  Would something like this work (someone posted earlier).  Thanks again.

switch.png

36 minutes ago, n8ballz said:

Instead of the paperclip I used a switch. It turns everything off or on.

IMG_1633.JPG

Thanks. I wanted to avoid messing w/ any wiring, but is this easy to do? Any soldering necessary?