220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

2 hours ago, Dschijn said:
YOu can test with the AKiTiO PSU, but that should not be a long time solution.

I've read about ground loop issues, but really, up until now this is the most stable setup i had

48df6be0ebd000962b9dc5d1beced215.jpg

I even managed to put limit the need of cutting too much the external chassis

77beab0c8d862317ca6f88ee4a338c59.jpg

Maybe the shortage issue came from the barrel, so maybe it'd be better to soldier directly the power intput for the case to the power board of the akitio

Anyway, that much i know:

The DA2 PSU I have may be tired

The standard PSU i have may not be good enough to power all by itself with peaks.

SO:

1) i'm gonna look for a descent modular PSU to be able to use less cable. then i'll find a way to ikeahack it under my desk

2) if the setup holds like this i'll try to solder dc input under the barre plug board

3) either if that works or not, i'll have to create vent in the outer case for the air flux, and cut the rear panel to let my power cord go out from the case.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Edited by lilins

Ordered! My German is limited, but striving for the goal of perfect egpu helped me understood. Thanks @Dschijn

Edited by lilins

The 220w Dell DA-2 is powerful enough for a EXP GDC and Radeon RX 480.

Yes, that is why mine may be disfunctional. But i don't want to order a used one to have the same issue, and i think that a brand new one may be more expensive than even a modular PSU. Except if you know where to find cheap and good quality or brand new Dell DA-2 in europe :)

3 hours ago, lilins said:

Yes, that is why mine may be disfunctional. But i don't want to order a used one to have the same issue, and i think that a brand new one may be more expensive than even a modular PSU. Except if you know where to find cheap and good quality or brand new Dell DA-2 in europe :)

I got mine on Ebay :/

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

If you're willing to proceed as follow (and don't want to do soldering on the PSU), you can order an already professionally modded DELL DA-2 (43$) from : http://ultrabook-battery.net/

While it might sounds a bit expensive, the job is done properly !

You don't get PCIe power plugs(6 or 8 pin) out of this modded DA-2 without using any adapters and extra wires so there's not really a point in using this at this price. The usual DA-2 + some PCIe power plug splitters and the barrel mod isn't any more complicated.

Also using only the barrel plug with the Akitio only provides you with 75W anyway so there's no win and the DA-2 is way overpowered. There are 120W PSU with the correct barrel plug that are sufficient for slot powered graphics cards.

Like I said : It's only if you don't want to do soldering on the PSU (for any reason whatsoever).

You're right, to deliver the 100+W needed for the GPU using only the barrel plug to deliver power, you have to solder your PCIe pins from the barrel plug (like displayed).

11 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

If you're willing to proceed as follow (and don't want to do soldering on the PSU), you can order an already professionally modded DELL DA-2 (43$) from : http://ultrabook-battery.net/

While it might sounds a bit expensive, the job is done properly !

GPUs that are dependent on the PCIe x16 slot power of the AKiTiO have suffered from instability, so soldering is needed (or some sort of screw terminals but I woudn’t count on them).

AKiTiO has removed the 75W slot power promise:

https://www.akitio.com/faq/270-thunder2-pcie-box-what-s-the-maximum-power-output-through-the-pcie-slot

max 30W for the TB circuitry (both ports)
~5W for the PCIe board

= 25W for the slot with a 60W power supply.

Why? It was clearly stated earlier that the slot is capable of delivering 75W with a more powerful PSU.

The absolute max wattage of the DC jack is 120W. Based on this info and if only one TB port is in use, I see that power is distributed as follows:

~20W for the TB and PCIe board circuitry
max ~100W for two 4-pin JST connectors

Someone interested in ~100W TDP GPU housed into a Thunder2 so that the outer shell fits (with a low profile 6-pin auxiliary power cable), may consider J6 connector mod (discussed here) and recently also implemented with this modded Dell DA-2:

http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1651813-1-1.html

102828sc3ni688dettiffd.jpg.thumb.jpg

104213f6fr54frfrg6fdrs.jpg.thumb.jpg

Edited by goalque

On 13.8.2016 at 6:17 PM, benjaminlsr said:

Like I said : It's only if you don't want to do soldering on the PSU (for any reason whatsoever).

You're right, to deliver the 100+W needed for the GPU using only the barrel plug to deliver power, you have to solder your PCIe pins from the barrel plug (like displayed).

And like I said, a modded DA-2 is then completely unnecessary. Get a usual 120W power brick with 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector and you're fine, no soldering needed too for exemplary 18€. You'd only pay additional bucks for something you don't need and can't use anyway if you buy that modded DA-2. The usual DA-2 costs about 20€ and you don't need to solder anything if you want to use it with PCIe power plugs, it's been shown several times.

Hi, I'm building myself an eGPU for my MBPr 2015 13". I've purchased:

For the power supply:

To confirm what I think I'm going to do is...

1. Take Dell adapter.
  2. Plug in my 8 PIN splitter (1 row across so the left column of pins on the dell are exposed. then put a paper clip from the sense into a 12v point
  3. This gives me 2 additional 8 pin plugs. 
  4. Take 1 of these and solder them into a barrel plug. 12v & Grnd.
  5. Take the other and plug it into a 8 to 2 8 splitters.
  6. Plug 1 of these into my 970.

Edited by matt454
worked it out

On 15/08/2016 at 5:59 PM, Morv said:

And like I said, a modded DA-2 is then completely unnecessary. Get a usual 120W power brick with 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector and you're fine, no soldering needed too for exemplary 18€. You'd only pay additional bucks for something you don't need and can't use anyway if you buy that modded DA-2. The usual DA-2 costs about 20€ and you don't need to solder anything if you want to use it with PCIe power plugs, it's been shown several times.

I think we don't understand each other. You can send 220w to the Akitio barrel plug so they can be splitted between the casing and the GPU. To send watts to the GPU, you have to solder 3x GROUND and 3x 12V pins from the internal connector of the barrel plug to a PCIe connector.

This will allow you to use demanding GPU like Zotac 1060 and this is where a modded DELL DA-2 PSU (like I tried) will spare you few minutes of soldering.

Edited by benjaminlsr

13 minutes ago, benjaminlsr said:

I think we don't understand each other. You can send 220w to the Akitio barrel plug so they can be splitted between the casing and the GPU. To send watts to the GPU, you have to solder 3x GROUND and 3x 12V pins from the internal connector of the barrel plug to a PCIe connector.

This will allow you to use demanding GPU like Zotac 1060 and this is where a modded DELL DA-2 PSU (like I tried) will spare you few minutes of soldering.

Ok, then you're right, we didn't understand each other. I thought it was about PSUs that don't need soldering. Because you can use the usual DA-2 without any bit of soldering but the way you described is probably less fiddling for someone who knows what he's doing. In another post I saw someone soldering a cable from an 8 pin socket right to the GPU PCie sockets(see here). So you mean you could solder the cables coming from that 8 pin socket to the board internally and from there to the PCIe sockets or use plugs and by that you could use the full 220W.

I got that right now?

• Thumbs Up 1

Folks I'm confused about how far I could push the DA-2 wattage with the Akitio T2 and the GTX 10 series.

Do you reckon I could squeeze a GTX 1070 FTW with max draw 215w, 8+8 pin, if I could finagle the wiring?

EDIT: I read things over, and I think I know the answer. The EVGA 1070s go from 150W/8-pin to 170W/8-pin and finally 215W/8+8 pin. I think 170W is going to be pretty much the natural limit of the DA-2 plus Thunder2.

Seem right?

Edited by jddh
More reading