220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

Thanks guys now i understand all i need to do:

i need 

the parts:

1. 2 x /1 6pin (F) to 2-port 6Pin (M)/ - http://www.ebay.com/itm/381735085373 - US $5.58

2. 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC Power Male Jack - http://www.ebay.com/itm/122226983207 - US $1.61

3. Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box by Akitio - US $219.00

4. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING SC, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5, (6 Pin / 120W Max Power Draw) - to fit in the Akitio -  US $249.28

5. DELL DA-2 220W - US $15.00

(total - US $490.47)

the steps:

1. put the 6 pin (F) in the Dell DA 2 8 pin (M)

2. cut the 1 of the 2 - 6 pin and connect yellow / black to - 5.5mm x 2.5mm jack

3. connect 8 pin and 6 pin via paperclip (i will take one from my wife)sDHXda9.jpg

post-36358-14495000280777.jpg

opa.jpg

Is this are the right steps, because i need to order the parts? :) 

thanks to @LukeHero and @w4vz

Edited by enjoy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone.

I have been looking through this forum a little bit, as I want to get rid of my ATX PSU and the Akitio power-supply.

I have an ITX 960 that requires a SINGLE 6pin.

I am planning to get the DA-2.

Now:
I understand that I can't simply plug a 8pin to dual 2x6pin adapter into to DA-2, because it will short itself(?)

What I dont understand is how you manage to fit a 6pin adapter into the 8pin DA-2, and then use a paperclip? 

Since I only need a single 6pin for the GPU, what cables/adapters will I need to go from the DA-2 and power both the Akitio and the 960?

I already have a 8pin male to dual 6pin female, and a bunch of molex adapters (6pin male to dual molex female).

Thank you

@Vegarab That is what I learn from this thread:

1 put the 6 pin (F) splitter in the male 8 pin of Dell DA-2 

2. cut the of the two 6 pin (M) and put all yellow cables to (+) and all black into (-) of 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel

3. connect the other 6 pin (M) with the other 6 pin splitter

4. Put the paperclip to turn ON your Dell DA-2

5. connect the 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel to Akitio and 6pin (M) from the splitter (that without barrel) to the video card

DONE :)

1.jpg

Edited by enjoy

6 hours ago, Vegarab said:

@enjoy Do you need that second 6pin splitter? My GPU only requires a single 6pin. Is there anything that would be limiting me in terms of just using the first adaptor where 1 6pin is for the AC barrel and the other directly to GPU?

This works just fine @Vegarab. You don't require the second splitter because your gpu only has one 6pin.

I order my parts:

1. Akitio Thunderbolt2 PCIe Expansion Box (1) 

2. Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable (2)

3. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Super Clocked (1607 /1835)  GAMING 6GB second hand from Bulgaria (with 3 years warranty)

4. Dell DA-2 second hand from Bulgaria

5.  DC Barrel 5.5mm x 2.5mm

6.  HDMI to VGA adapter from Bulgaria

I will update the Dell DA-2 setup when the parts arrived :)

Edited by enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, fantastic information here!

So I decided to finally hop on the DIY eGPU train as well, and as a newbie promptly stumbled into problems of course. Although the forum provides lots of info I have an individual question (as I couldn't find an answer here).

For my build I ordered:

- AKiTiO Thunder2

- Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini

- Dell DA-2 

- Prewired adapter cable (as someone on the forum pointed out), a female 12-Pin to double 6-Pin PCI-E with 2.5mm barrel plug

When I unpacked the cable and tried to connect it, I realized that the GPU needs a single 8-pin PCIe power connector. Would I be safe to use a dual 6pin female to 8pin male adapter cable (which means another adapter...)? Like this one for instance.

Your help would be much appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by Schanni

• 1 month later...

Question!

I have a MSI Trident 3 that have already a 6 pin but i just need another 6 pin so i can convert 2x 6 to 8.

If i buy this dell adapter does it need modding or can i just buy a 6 pin adapter and ill be good since i don't use a external housing and such

Hi, my name is Kåre. I help users on this site find power solutions for the Akitio Thunderbox and I currently see that you may want to your into the case, if you just had the correct power supply cable that would allow for it to be seated inside the case. KAREONKABLES.COM

SAM_70.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just tested the Dell D2A adapter with EXP GDC Beast 8.4 and GTX 1060 6GB on Lenovo Y580 and it works great without any modifications. Plugged the 8pin from adapter into the 8pin on GDC then used a 6pin male to male to connect the GDC to 1060, voila all works great. I now on to design and print an enclosure for the GDC and 1060 Mini. The Dell adapter I have to say is a lot larger than I expected but it beats the 900W spare Antec one I was using before. This setup also works on an HP DM4 laptop. I started out trying to make my GTX 590 work as external card but unfortunately because of the dual nature of that GPU I couldn't get it to work in any configuration. The GTX 590 was detected on the eGPU and both adapters showed up in device manager but games just would not use the 590 on any of the laptops I tried it on. Because I switched to 1060 I am now also able to switch to the Dell power adapter for an overall more portable solution.

Hi, my name is Kåre. I help users on this site find power solutions for the Akitio Thunderbox and I currently see that you may want to your into the case, if you just had the correct power supply cable that would allow for it to be seated inside the case. KAREONKABLES.COM

SAM_70.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HI...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge they are two 6pin pcie splitters where one has been modified on one of the splits to have a 4pin molex instead to power the akitio.

Do not solder yellow with black. Always black with black and yellow with yellow or you will create a short circuit.

• 3 years later...

Just want everyone to know this thread is still being used in 2021.  I'm going to do my first eGPU to get a bit more life out of an aging Lenovo y400, which takes a custom pcie "enclosure" that uses a 20-pin motherboard connector for power. I've got a 1050 ti card (75W TDP) that takes power only from the pcie slot, so I'm going to try using a DA-2 with a picopsu.

I'm excited by the idea of having 12V swappable power supplies around the house using DA-2s with 6-pin pcie to powerpole adapters and in-line switches coming off the remote pin.

Edited by smacannon

• 1 year later...