220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

8 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Why the FTW anyway? That is a huge card.

Thanks for replying :) It is huge; too huge. My thinking is to go as future-proof as possible, migrating to a TB3 box when tenable for Mac, but surely I would be pushing the limits of the current enclosure and power supply. A low or mid range version of the same model ought to do just fine.

I have three questions to people who have done DA-2 to barrel plug adapters. I have the electrical layout figured out, but there is one thing that is bugging me:

The 2.5x5.5mm barrel plug needs to be rated for about 12v, 8a to power up the slot for a video card and the Akitio's internal hardware. Yet, I cannot find a single barrel plug that would be rated for that much. The best I've seen is 12v, 5a (and to be honest, by their looks compared to the 12v, 1a ones, that is pretty questionable), and most are simply unrated and most of the ones that have a rating are rated at something measly like 1a or 1.5a at 12v. That said, there are plenty of 12v, 10a power bricks with 2.5x5.5mm plugs out there, so someone is making plugs that can survive 12v, 8a.

So, the questions:

1) Where did you get a correctly rated barrel plug?

2) If you just grabbed one off e-bay or something, are you not worried about overloading it? I am not an electrical engineer, so am I worrying for nothing here?

3) I have some rated at 50v, 1a. Will these work?

Edited by Yukikaze
Extra info

11 hours ago, Yukikaze said:

I have three questions to people who have done DA-2 to barrel plug adapters. I have the electrical layout figured out, but there is one thing that is bugging me:

The 2.5x5.5mm barrel plug needs to be rated for about 12v, 8a to power up the slot for a video card and the Akitio's internal hardware. Yet, I cannot find a single barrel plug that would be rated for that much. The best I've seen is 12v, 5a (and to be honest, by their looks compared to the 12v, 1a ones, that is pretty questionable), and most are simply unrated and most of the ones that have a rating are rated at something measly like 1a or 1.5a at 12v. That said, there are plenty of 12v, 10a power bricks with 2.5x5.5mm plugs out there, so someone is making plugs that can survive 12v, 8a.

So, the questions:

2) If you just grabbed one off e-bay or something, are you not worried about overloading it? I am not an electrical engineer, so am I worrying for nothing here?

1\ I use the Akitio casing barrel plug. It's not getting hot and it's working perfeclty.

2\ NO.

3\ 50v 1a = 12v 4.2a

Again, i've been using mine for weeks now and it's working flawlessly. Wires aren't getting hot, neither is the barrel plug / connector.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 27.8.2016 at 5:13 AM, Yukikaze said:

1) http://www.reichelt.de/DC-AKS-7525/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=150126&artnr=DC+AKS+7525&SEARCH=niedervoltstecker+2.5mm

2) when the sit tight it should be fine

3) amp is more important since it will cause the load on the cable

• Thumbs Up 1

May I trouble you all for another somewhat basic question?

I'm using a DA-2 to power a Thunder2 and GTX 1070. Connecting things via the 2x6-pin Y cable + barrel connector method. I would like to test the rig to see if the Akitio powers ok, but would rather do so before getting the GPU plugged in.

If I have Y cables splitting the power into barrel connector + 2x6-pin pcie, but ONLY connect the barrel to the Akitio...am I necessarily sending 220W straight to the Akitio? IE is it generally unsafe to test these 2-way split solutions without getting the card in there and testing all under load?

5 hours ago, jddh said:

am I necessarily sending 220W straight to the Akitio? IE is it generally unsafe to test these 2-way split solutions without getting the card in there and testing all under load?

By this logic, anything plugged directly into a 220V 13A wall socket will be taking up 2.86 kW of power.

That's equivalent to 5 microwave ovens or 3 vacuum cleaners.

Edited by Arbystrider

11 hours ago, jddh said:

If I have Y cables splitting the power into barrel connector + 2x6-pin pcie, but ONLY connect the barrel to the Akitio...am I necessarily sending 220W straight to the Akitio? IE is it generally unsafe to test these 2-way split solutions without getting the card in there and testing all under load?

You will be fine, just connect the power to the AKiTiO without an GPU, connect the Thunderbolt cable and see if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Would the process of supplying power to the GPU and Enclosure for the Thunder2 work with the Thunder3 box? 

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box 

I ordered one and it's on its way, and I was considering just powering it from a power supply, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-D670P-S0-0HY105-Power-Supply/dp/B00718Z86A/ref=pd_day0_147_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z245ZTZJGFDTCD7WYKMM

It seems like it would fit well underneath the case, and I was going to laser cut an acrylic housing to attach it. There's pinout references here:

http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projects/server-ps

I was worried about using the Dell 220W since I wanted to use a higher end graphics card, not necessarily because of the power, but moreso because of the latest DX features, and I read in the thread that the power spikes may be too much for those.

Any red flags anyone notices?

2 hours ago, Slimicus said:

I ordered one and it's on its way, and I was considering just powering it from a power supply, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-D670P-S0-0HY105-Power-Supply/dp/B00718Z86A/ref=pd_day0_147_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z245ZTZJGFDTCD7WYKMM

Wouldn't that thing be as loud as hell? Server parts aren't well-known for their levels of quiet.

I'll join the DA-2 and higher-end video cards power question. Has anyone run a GTX1070 via a DA-2? Specifically the Gigabyte mini one? Techpowerup is listing the max power consumption of a GTX1070 as 154W, so in theory it should work, shouldn't it?

24 minutes ago, Yukikaze said:

I'll join the DA-2 and higher-end video cards power question. Has anyone run a GTX1070 via a DA-2? Specifically the Gigabyte mini one? Techpowerup is listing the max power consumption of a GTX1070 as 154W, so in theory it should work, shouldn't it?

I'm running an EVGA 1070 SC with a DA-2; I seem to be one of the few trying to with a smallish power supply. My TDP is 15W higher than the one you're looking at. Running into some issues that may be the PSU capacity; may be my own error.

56 minutes ago, jddh said:

I'm running an EVGA 1070 SC with a DA-2; I seem to be one of the few trying to with a smallish power supply. My TDP is 15W higher than the one you're looking at. Running into some issues that may be the PSU capacity; may be my own error.

Have you tried undervolting/underclocking your card to lower power consumption? That might help with stability. If it doesn't, then at least you know that the issue isn't power.

2 hours ago, Yukikaze said:

Wouldn't that thing be as loud as hell? Server parts aren't well-known for their levels of quiet.

Well, good point, actually yeah, I checked into it and found some reviews and it was a bit loud, but I settled on this and ordered one, and it's not very loud at all, plus inside the case I'll build it should be quieter. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAC9MO6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

360W 12V 30A Temperature Regulated Switching Power Supply

I'm probably going to end up putting in a nVidia 1070, but from the reviews I read they can spike to 250W?, but the 360W PS should be more than enough for that. Plus with it's shape I should be able to fit it nicely below and still have room for an extra low power fan to draw cool air in the front which should help it from heating up and revving up the PS fan.

I guess I was looking at this and in the top graph, it looked like there were a few times when the power spiked near what looks more like 240W actually. I know it's just for a second, but I'm not sure what the tolerance of the DA-2 is and also in the future didn't know if I would be using a slightly more power hungry card..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-7.html

1 hour ago, Slimicus said:

I guess I was looking at this and in the top graph, it looked like there were a few times when the power spiked near what looks more like 240W actually. I know it's just for a second, but I'm not sure what the tolerance of the DA-2 is and also in the future didn't know if I would be using a slightly more power hungry card..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-7.html

I'll keep you guys posted if I get better data on what mine does in a real world egpu setting (does GPU-Z or Afterburner give reliable data on actual at-the-moment draw?)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, for what it's worth, going up to a gold-rated PSU has really stabilized my rig. There's a chance that my previous barrel adaptor cable might have been at fault with the DA-2 performance, but for my part, being on the upper margin of suitable DA-2 draw power with the 1070, my tendency to worry about blowing up my expensive card is mostly allayed with more power available to it ;). I also like that I can send a dedicated 8-pin power cable straight from the PSU to the card without going through splitters.

I appreciate this thread. Does anyone know if the DA-2 can just use an 8 pin pcie to 2 x 6 pcie adapter? With paperclip starter trick if necessary? I mean if I do not need the barrel plug on my eGPU can't I just use 2 x 6 pcie? Is there something I'm missing about the way the power is output or won't my GPU card just pull the watts it needs up to about 220 watts or so? It would adjust rated 18A output to what the card needs automatically right? I think there is a 12v "rail" just like any PSU.

edit: I see from an earlier post... " DA-2 doesn't use PCIe power interface" .. so i guess there will have to be some re-routing of wires. After the re-routing I can treat it like a PCIe power interface though right?

Edited by esatamod

2 hours ago, esatamod said:

I appreciate this thread. Does anyone know if the DA-2 can just use an 8 pin pcie to 2 x 6 pcie adapter? With paperclip starter trick if necessary? I mean if I do not need the barrel plug on my eGPU can't I just use 2 x 6 pcie? Is there something I'm missing about the way the power is output or won't my GPU card just pull the watts it needs up to about 220 watts or so? It would adjust rated 18A output to what the card needs automatically right? I think there is a 12v "rail" just like any PSU.

edit: I see from an earlier post... " DA-2 doesn't use PCIe power interface" .. so i guess there will have to be some re-routing of wires. After the re-routing I can treat it like a PCIe power interface though right?

Yep, as you found out, the DA-2 doesn't quite use the regular PCIe 8-pin arrangement. In general, there are six pins that convert cleanly into a PCIe 6-pin connector (and then can be fed into, for example, a 6-pin splitter from 1x6-pin to 2x6-pin) and two more pins left over one of which is the "paperclip starter" needed to power up the power supply. Regardless, however, you will need to feed power to whatever enclosure you have the GPU in. If you were thinking of using two different power supplies, one for the enclosure and the DA-2 for the eGPU, you shouldn't. There should be one power source.

My setup consists of:

- Macbook Pro 15" Late 2013

- Akitio Thunder2 http://www.macway.com/fr/product/29300/thunder-2-pcie-box-chassis-dextension-thunderbolt-2-pour-cartes-pcie.html

- Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Mini http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini-zt-p10600a-10l/version.asp?tduid=ec2fd1a1d780605dba10832e5d58244f&utm_source=HotUKDeals_1018132&utm_medium=tradedoubler

- 6 pin to 2 x 6 pin pcie (30cm) http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181410892155?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- 5.5 x 2.5mm  DC  plug http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252508658402?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- Dell DA-2 http://www.ebay.ie/itm/291362633006?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- Paperclip

This is everything I need, right? I'm asking because I've seen pictures of others using more adaptors, some were using 6 pcie to 2x 6+2pin cables, why +2?

By the way, these are the lowest prices I've found in Europe and macway it's one of the few shops that actually has Akitio Thunder2 in stock.

Thanks!

Edited by rosmoke

39 minutes ago, rosmoke said:

My setup consists of:

- Macbook Pro 15" Late 2013

- Akitio Thunder2 http://www.macway.com/fr/product/29300/thunder-2-pcie-box-chassis-dextension-thunderbolt-2-pour-cartes-pcie.html

- Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Mini http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini-zt-p10600a-10l/version.asp?tduid=ec2fd1a1d780605dba10832e5d58244f&utm_source=HotUKDeals_1018132&utm_medium=tradedoubler

- 6 pin to 2 x 6 pin pcie (30cm) http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181410892155?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- 5.5 x 2.5mm  DC  plug http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252508658402?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- Dell DA-2 http://www.ebay.ie/itm/291362633006?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- Paperclip

This is everything I need, right? I'm asking because I've seen pictures of others using more adaptors, some were using 6 pcie to 2x 6+2pin cables, why +2?

By the way, these are the lowest prices I've found in Europe and macway it's one of the few shops that actually has Akitio Thunder2 in stock.

Thanks!

That sounds very much like my own parts list when I got my DA-2 working, so it looks good.

My setup looks more or less like this:

DA-2 -> 6-pin PCIe splitter -> [Split 1] 6-pin connector for the GPU's extra power connector.

-> [Split 2] 5.5x2.5mm barrel plug to power the Akitio and provide PCIe slot power.

I also connected/soldered  a switch between the sense pin of the DA-2 and one of the ground pins instead of using a paper clip so that I have a power button to power the whole thing up and down without having to unplug the DA-2 from the outlet.

The reason why people use 6-pin to 6+2 pins is for providing power to cards with PCIe 8-pin connectors, I suppose.

Edited by Yukikaze

Sound! Thanks man.

That makes sense.

I'm not sure if the DA-2 model I got is outputting 220W, it should ... I guess? If it does, 220W should be enough for my not so hungry GPU (it's peak is 120W).

For soldering the barrel plug I'd need to connect 3 cables positive and 3 cables negative, right?

I can't wait to get my hands on them :X, I'll try to fit the cable in the box, I'll probably need to make a hole near the DC-in to take out the cable needed for DC, or I might solder it on the inside of the case on the board.

Would I run in any heat issues with the box closed?

Edited by rosmoke

12 minutes ago, rosmoke said:

That makes sense.

I'm not sure if the DA-2 model I got is outputting 220W, it should ... I guess? If it does, 220W should be enough for my not so hungry GPU (it's peak is 120W).

For soldering the barrel plug I'd need to connect 3 cables positive and 3 cables negative, right?

I can't wait to get my hands on them :X, I'll try to fit the cable in the box, I'll probably need to make a hole near the barrel to take out the cable needed for DC.

Would I run in any heat issues with the closed box?

Power supplies degrade somewhat over time, and most DA-2s are not exactly young, so it probably maxes out a bit under 220W if it is in good condition, but it should not be a problem for a GTX1060.

For soldering the barrel plug I'd recommend soldering a thicker pair of wires to the barrel plug first, closing it up nicely, then solder these wires to the 3 12v+ cables (yellow) and the 3 ground cables (black). Soldering all six straight onto the plug tends to be messier than splitting them up later. Remember to get the polarity right: The positive (yellow) wires need to be connected to the central contact of the barrel plug, while the black ones go to the external contact. I recommend double-checking with a multi-meter after soldering to make sure.

In my experience, a closed Akitio is pretty suffocating to the video card, even after I replaced the 60mm fan with a much better Noctua one. You will either need to run it open, or modify the cover itself so that it allows more air in. Otherwise you will end up with an overheating (and thus throttling) card after a relatively short while during gaming.

Edited by Yukikaze
Forgot to comment about the heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking for some one who can custom make me the Dell  DA2 AC adapter for Akitio. Looking for a all in one solution, with low profile adapters for the GP and to power the Akitio, to have just one, enormous but one brick. There was a guy on Ebay, but he does that no longer. 

Please let me know.