220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

On 9.7.2016 at 3:37 PM, benjaminlsr said:

Hey guys, can you please confirm that the following could work (main goal is not to alter the akitio box AT ALL).

Cm7RVRtWAAEDnzT.jpg

1\ Cut the DELL DA-2 cable.

2\ Solder all GROUND together as well as all 12v together.

3\ Solder the 2 cables we obtained to a 5.5x2.1mm barrel.

4\ Split into a 6 PIN MOLEX from the internal barrel.

Thanks

In theory, seems good. But I am not feeling well, when thinking about so much power going through that barrel plug.

1 hour ago, Dschijn said:

In theory, seems good. But I am not feeling well, when thinking about so much power going through that barrel plug.

There won't be 220W flowing through the barrel plug when the slot only draws 75W(+whatever the TB board needs) or am I wrong here? I don't see a problem.

@benjaminlsr Why do you want to use the Dell DA-2 if you only want to power the Akitio through barrel plug? You usually use the DA-2 if you want a compact PSU that can deliver power to some additional PCIe power plugs. If you're just using a graphics card that doesn't need additional PCIe power plugs, then search for a 120W PSU that already has a barrel plug given.

1 hour ago, Dschijn said:

The worst that could happen is that the DC jack or the connector burns out.

If the 6 (or 5) pins for power on the Dell DA-2 can push 220w, then I'm sure the amount of surface area on one of those standard DC power jacks can handle the same.

Will the wiring get hot at full 220W load? Probably.

The solution? Use thicker gauge wire. Preferably the kind you use to jump-start combustion engines.

Edited by Arbystrider

3 hours ago, Morv said:

There won't be 220W flowing through the barrel plug when the slot only draws 75W(+whatever the TB board needs) or am I wrong here? I don't see a problem.

@benjaminlsr Why do you want to use the Dell DA-2 if you only want to power the Akitio through barrel plug? You usually use the DA-2 if you want a compact PSU that can deliver power to some additional PCIe power plugs. If you're just using a graphics card that doesn't need additional PCIe power plugs, then search for a 120W PSU that already has a barrel plug given.

Thanks for your feedback here. Well I'm willing to power a GPU inside the casing but I don't want to cut through metal and / or unsolde a component inside the casing.

So that's 220watt available inside the barrel plug. 25watt for the casing, 190 for the GPU. Am I correct ?

I will use strong and thick wires from the barrel to a splitter going to the 6pin plug.

On 7/8/2016 at 3:23 AM, Dschijn said:

Huh.... and how did he connect the Dell DA-2? Was there a 8/6-Pin to barrel mod?

Any chance someone could point me in the right direction as to where I should head next. I'm kind of at a loss, and since I don't have a laboratory bench PSU I can't just plug it in. I appreciate all of the help I can get.

4 hours ago, mcbeav said:

Any chance someone could point me in the right direction as to where I should head next. I'm kind of at a loss, and since I don't have a laboratory bench PSU I can't just plug it in. I appreciate all of the help I can get.

Like in @benjaminlsr picture, you need to get all the power from the Dell DA-2 into a barrel plug. Not sure if you should with one that has screw terminals. But should work.

4 hours ago, mcbeav said:

Any chance someone could point me in the right direction as to where I should head next. I'm kind of at a loss, and since I don't have a laboratory bench PSU I can't just plug it in.

@mcbeav it looks like the guy did what I'm planning to do, so, refer to my drawing on top to solder your Dell power unit properly to the barrel plug.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:30 AM, Morv said:

I didn't even consider doing this. So right now there is an EVGA GTX 960 in my Akitio. It only requires 1 x 6 pin PCIe power adapter to power the card. Should I just go for one of these rockminer cables since I don't need more than 1 PCIe power adapter? 

EDIT: Sorry if I sound like I have no idea what I am doing, but it is because I am a bit lost. Currently I am considering desoldering the work that has been done on mine, and just starting fresh following the information outlines in this thread. I may go another route, but I have not had much time to really research much yet. Just busy with work, life, etc.

EDIT 2: One more question, would a 120W power supply that has a barrel plug already attached work for what I currently have setup? So the PCIe power plug is soldered to the back of the board that that female barrell plug is connected to. With an EVGA GTX 960 plugged in, could I potentially just plug in a 120W pico PSU with a barrell adapter like the one linked here:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-PicoPSU-110-240vAC-Switching/dp/B0081S1YEE

IMG_0382.jpgIMG_0396.JPG

Edited by mcbeav
Added Information

120W won't be enough as the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SC GAMING can draw 128W plus 10W from the Akitio Casing.

If I were you, according to your pictures, I would just finish the work on the Dell power supply to send all power to the barrel plug like attended by the guy who sold it to you. You don't have much to do here.

One thing though: Double check why only two of the six 12v pins going to the GPU are wired on your picture.

Edited by benjaminlsr

1 hour ago, benjaminlsr said:

One thing though: Double check why only two of the six 12v pins going to the GPU are wired on your picture.

1. There are only three 12V pins on that card. Not six.

2. ATX specification shows that the middle 12V pin is "not connected", though most PSUs and PCIe devices have it wired as 12V. This is negligible however.

Sorry, wanted to say two of the three 12v pins.

I received my StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2/1 adapter (to be used with a NUC6i7KYK).

Q: Did someone measured the impact of an adapter on latency ?

Waiting for the other elements to start making a video / photo tutorial.

Edited by benjaminlsr

20 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

120W won't be enough as the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SC GAMING can draw 128W plus 10W from the Akitio Casing.

If I were you, according to your pictures, I would just finish the work on the Dell power supply to send all power to the barrel plug like attended by the guy who sold it to you. You don't have much to do here.

Two go into the electrical tape, and 1 comes out. I'll unravel it, but it looks like they are twisted in there. Is that alright?

IMG_0383.jpg

Hi everyone!

My ASUS gtx 970 mini is arriving in the next few days; it has one 8-pin pci-e connector.

I currently have a dell DA-2 PSU with 2 x 8-pin and a barrel plug for powering the akitio.

The asus gtx 970 mini has only one 8-pin pci-e connector. However my psu has 2 x 8-pin. Can I connect only one to the graphics card? Or do I need to get a 2x8-pin to 1x8pin Y cable?

IMG-20160716-WA0003.jpg

Edited by xfechx
Added image

Hi guys, i'm currently making an egpu for my mac mini, using akitio thunder 2 and a zotak 960gtx. I first went for the Dell DA2 psu, but i hat several times when then power will cut and it'll make the mac crash... As the panic log shows the nvdaresmanweb as the main culprit i think the power supply overloaded and went into security mode and the nvd driver crashed. When this happen i can't connect the power supply soon. Have to wait some time. That makes me think the overload may not be power but temperature, so maybe my power supply has some issue. Am i right?

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I modded my DELL DA-2 and soldered all 12v together, as well as all GROUND together, then soldered remote to GROUND.

Then I soldered 12V and GROUND to a barrel plug to power my Akitio casing.

It worked for sometimes but now the light will go from GREEN to NOTHING right after I connect it... (connected it to another device, same result).

Any idea ?

Thanks

Edited by benjaminlsr

On 16.7.2016 at 8:48 AM, xfechx said:

Hi everyone!

My ASUS gtx 970 mini is arriving in the next few days; it has one 8-pin pci-e connector.

I currently have a dell DA-2 PSU with 2 x 8-pin and a barrel plug for powering the akitio.

The asus gtx 970 mini has only one 8-pin pci-e connector. However my psu has 2 x 8-pin. Can I connect only one to the graphics card? Or do I need to get a 2x8-pin to 1x8pin Y cable?

Only 1x8-Pin is fine.

On 16.7.2016 at 10:45 AM, lilins said:

Hi guys, i'm currently making an egpu for my mac mini, using akitio thunder 2 and a zotak 960gtx. I first went for the Dell DA2 psu, but i hat several times when then power will cut and it'll make the mac crash... As the panic log shows the nvdaresmanweb as the main culprit i think the power supply overloaded and went into security mode and the nvd driver crashed. When this happen i can't connect the power supply soon. Have to wait some time. That makes me think the overload may not be power but temperature, so maybe my power supply has some issue. Am i right?

Is it a 220W Dell DA-2? That should easily handle a GTX960. Ran my GTX 970 with high OC without a problem.

20 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

Hi guys,

I modded my DELL DA-2 and soldered all 12v together, as well as all GROUND together, then soldered remote to GROUND.

Then I soldered 12V and GROUND to a barrel plug to power my Akitio casing.

It worked for sometimes but now the light will go from GREEN to NOTHING right after I connect it... (connected it to another device, same result).

Any idea ?

Thanks

Maybe you made an error with the soldering?!

Well I checked twice each of them before. The Dell DA-2 looked not so new (dusty).

It worked for minutes until nothing. Any idea on why the green led vanish as soon as I plug it ?

By the way, I ordered a XBOX 3 Power Supply 12v 203W (way cheaper, 19.95€) as well as another 220W with a 5.5 barrel plug from ultrabook-battery.net for 43.11$.

54 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Is it a 220W Dell DA-2? That should easily handle a GTX960. Ran my GTX 970 with high OC without a problem.

Yep, so i think the Dell DA-2 is a little tired :) tried on atx psu it worked like a charm under 1h30 stress test gpu test 

• Thumbs Up 1

I spoke too early. I end up with same kind of issue with a full scale brand new psu:

Playing on a game or changing display settings shuts down egpu's psu in what i assume is security mode 'cause i can't relaunched it like this.

Before doing that the damn things worked for 25 minutes under gpu test:

e70f687fee9f2cebbdc264f174b49801.jpg

Here are pics from the setup:

11305a4d4519b3bd174de56bb8d392cb.jpg

8fa688ea96b9dbcaaaa8d658c1cf0291.jpg

b5c143cba03bdee0566ced3b2748c1f8.jpg

So i end up with same issue as with dell da2. Good thing is my da2 may be good and i may end up using it.

But what can cause this kind of issue? Has anyone seen something similar?

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi guys.

I'm just wondering 

How to check 12V of dell da-2 with multimeter ?

Is same as PSU atx ?

I have been tried.

This psu haven't power on (green pin) like psu atx.

So I dont need power on the dell psu.

Instead I plug yellow pin (12 V) with red cable and black cable from multimeter into ground pin according the images.

And the result show 0V instead of 12 V

??????

What's wrong with me ?

Update:

I got it guys. Try plug remote and ground pin

Thank you.

imageproxy.php.jpg

Edited by gharimanto
my problem was solved

6 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Can you post a close up of the barrel plug you are using and the wires to the 6-pin.

Does the barrel plug "wiggle"? Maybe it does not sit right?!

To test that i'm trying a setup using the original akitio power for the akitio case and not the customized barrel plug, and yes with it there was some play and false contact...

(edit)

so it seems to crash less like that, but, i have some crash too. but it may be because of heat, here it's pretty hot these last days. anyway it doesn't seems to shut down as soon as i've launched it with the original akitio power adapter.

Edited by lilins