220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

@Dschijn Yes i have Dell DA-2 we talking about here. Normally it haves 8pin connector, 3x ground, 3x+, 1x remote, 1x sense. 3x Ground + remote plugged together and 3x white wires (+) together. Red wire ingnored, does not seem to make any effect. Without blue one it wont power on, just staying in standby mode (orange light).

Edited by BTA

Ok, the remote pin does need to have a permanent closed circuit to turn on the Dell DA-2 (to ground). So you need to figure out how your switch works. If it only give a short contact the Dell DA-2 does not stay on.

2 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Ok, the remote pin does need to have a permanent closed circuit to turn on the Dell DA-2 (to ground). So you need to figure out how your switch works. If it only give a short contact the Dell DA-2 does not stay on.

Any ideas how i could wire it stay on after i press on/off button on my pc? I mean, i power pc on normal on/off switch (inside pc, connected to mobo). Using that gives only momentary shortage to power on... And thanks your replys :)

Edited by BTA

Uff... Since the PC only gives a short contact, when you actually press the button you would have to turn that impuls into a permanent closed connection for the DA-2.

You could install an indepentend switch for the DA-2, but I have to clue if that would make your PC boot?! Not sure if the PC MB needs the signal to boot.

1 minute ago, Dschijn said:

Uff... Since the PC only gives a short contact, when you actually press the button you would have to turn that impuls into a permanent closed connection for the DA-2.

You could install an indepentend switch for the DA-2, but I have to clue if that would make your PC boot?! Not sure if the PC MB needs the signal to boot.

Hmm. I dont really understand how i can give dell continous power (signal) and where. Maybe i could wire PC power LED to give signal to Dell, but how should i do it??

Ok... I think since you would normally use "stupid" PSUs with that Pico, the Pico handles the powering on process itself. So the Dell DA-2 would have to be turned on in a different way before the Pico can use it.

So try and make an electrical contact between the remote and any ground pin on the DA-2 plug. After that the Pico should be powered and work with the power on signal from the PC.

@Dschijn Do you mean wiring PC on/off switch to DA-2's ground?

Remote and ground are wired together to provide power. Pico light is on, until i press on off on pc and all goes off...

Edited by BTA

2 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Remote and ground of the DA-2 itself have to be connected to keep the DA-2 on.

Guess you need to find a forum that can help you how the Pico works.

Yes i know. Any link to active forum about picos knowledge?

Guys do you know some european seller where i could buy low profile 6pin wires to make a Dell  DA-2 - Akitio adapter?? I want to make a closed eGPU but i just don't know how to properly bend the power cable coming out from gpu. I found only cables from US, that's quite uncomfortable paying all those shipping fees:(

I was looking for those cables in europe as well... only found them in the US too. I ordered them from the US, but now I already made some adapter for people and simply saw off a bit from a regular PCIe plug. Used a "Dremel" for that.

So just cutting the connector and bend the cables. You think is possible to make a connector little enough that allows me to close my EVGA 960?

egpu.jpeg

It's about 8 mm of free space in that point... I'm considering to cut a hole, not aesthetically nice though  

I hope this picture helps. It's a cable I made just recently.

For that I cut of the housing of the plug to the level where the little handle on the plug is connected to the plug. The cables are just bend and covered with isolation tape:

IMG_1337.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this splitter

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Video-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Supply/dp/B00A3OVG4W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

but the shapes on the end don't match up with the dell power supply. I have to kinda force it in but it fits. Does this splitter work with the dell power supply or will it mess things up?

Should work! And it is normal that it doesn't fit perfectly, you have to force it. Just make sure that the yellow wires of that plug are on the lower hald of the Dell plug. https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7377-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion/&page=1

To make the Dell DA-2 work you also have to make a connection between the remote and a GND pin.

8 hours ago, JohnyB33 said:

Im a little confused from the picture because it shows two male ends? I don't see where i would beadle to make any connections. Sorry i don't know much about this.

???

Ah ok ^^

He should explain what he wants to achieve and which cards he wants to power.

The Dell DA-2 can be combined with a PCIe splitter. The male ends are for the GPU... some need 6/8-Pin PCIe or a combination of them to run. The adapter from amazon is a 6+2-Pin which can work as a 6-Pin or a 8-Pin...

Keep in mind that the Dell DA-2 should power the Dell DA-2 as well.

2 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Ah ok ^^

He should explain what he wants to achieve and which cards he wants to power.

The Dell DA-2 can be combined with a PCIe splitter. The male ends are for the GPU... some need 6/8-Pin PCIe or a combination of them to run. The adapter from amazon is a 6+2-Pin which can work as a 6-Pin or a 8-Pin...

Keep in mind that the Dell DA-2 should power the Dell DA-2 as well.

The question is can i connect the female end of the splitter to the Dell DA-2 and then connect one of the splitting ends to a 8 pin gpu.

9 hours ago, JohnyB33 said:

The question is can i connect the female end of the splitter to the Dell DA-2 and then connect one of the splitting ends to a 8 pin gpu.

Yes!

8 hours ago, JohnyB33 said:

No!