220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

First time poster, came here when I was looking into the Bizon Box and @Tech Inferno Fan great post saved me from spending all that money. I had a question for  @Dschijn. Found this cable on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196FESSY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A37NR3TXTEOVBF. Would that be enough to make this amazon cart have everything i need to set-up the eGPU?

56ab954762734_ScreenShot2016-01-29at11.3

Hey,

1. the GPU is long, you will not be able to close the case!

2. the barrel plug is wrong, you need 2.5 and 5.5mm

3. the 8-Pin splitter is good, but you would have to rewire it and solder! Also there wouldn't be any cable left for the length needed for the barrel plug.

Maybe consider writing this guy a message and asking him for that all in one cable (which is good!): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akitio-eGPU-8-PIN-TO-2-x-PCI-E-6-PIN-MALE-AND-1-x-ID-2-5mm-OD-5-5mm-BARREL-/251984919354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aab78bb3a

thanks for the prompt reply @Dschijn  . I am looking for a solution that doesnt involve soldering. I have modified my cart and sent a message to that guy on ebay to see if he can still make me the all in one. If that falls through, is there any other known method that doesn't require soldering. 

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 2.18.17 PM.png

Hi hramos90, I actually have one of these setups thats completely new but not using bc i am waiting for TB3 to TB2 adapter that has not been release yet.  I am going to move on to another project so going to sell my setup.

GTX 970(Zotac) which fits perfectly 

Akito box modified so that Zotac fits in with no mods to the gpu(removing fan shroud)

-Modded to fit the 8 pin connector cut out rectangle to fit it and Epoxied the connector on

-first 8 pin is a dual 8 pin(1 for power to PSU and Solder to PCB(no bullet)(1 8pin to dual 6 pin to feed the GPU)

Clean setup, only thing that is outside the box is the 8pin connector for power, and the Thunderbolt 2 cable.  I cant send you any direct messages but let me know if you are interested.  If not I can also link all the wiring i bought, and post pics of what i did.  I actually ordered one of the Dell DA2 as well but have yet to receive it.

Thanks.

@hramos90 Please take a look at the first post here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7377-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion/

You will see that you need to do some rewiring. So you could get two 6-pin PCIe splitter cables with one sticking into the other and giving you 3x6-Pin. You could than use 2 for the GPU and one for the barrel plug.

The 6-Pin to barrel cable is totally an overkill!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for all your efforts throughout the site. It reminds me of a conversation I had just as I started uni with a guy in PC World. I had a very powerful laptop that sucked for games. Thank god eGPUs turned out not to didn't exist back then, or I may not have done well in the degree :)

I was hoping someone could check I have the right bits.

To connect the power supply, I have bought:

Assuming I can source a paperclip without too much effort, I think that fits the bill?

Huge thanks again! I'm excited!

Dan.

PS If I were to get a switch now, to replace the paperclip, is there anything (terminology or something) that I should consider?

Edited by djmcgreal

Kind of... take a look at the first page of this thread and make sure that the 3 yellow pins of your 6-Pin adapter match the 3x 12V pins of the DA-2.

Also be aware that the shape of the Pins will not match the shape of some "holes". So you will need some force to get them together or cut the pins into the right shape.

56 minutes ago, djmcgreal said:

Hi again,

The pieces are starting to arrive. When I start putting these components together, is there any safety aspects I should be aware of?

Thanks, Dan.

I would recommend for you to take take static measures when building. That way your parts won't run the risk of getting damaged.

The first thing you need to do is touch the metal of the chasis before doing anything else to equalize your static charge with the component's.

Also, the cheapest way to remove a lot of static, is to work on foami paper. Drains most of it, and it's less than a dollar a sheet. I think it's 20 cents ea.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7866-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx97010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win107osx1010-bsohn

Thank you for sharing the spec. It is very inspired build.

Now I'm trying to build almost the same using Dell DA-2 and GTX970.

I have completed wiring around (as picture below), 2 x 12V and 2 x Ground to PCIe Auxiliary Power Connector. The left 12V and Ground go to power the Akitio.

And DA-2's remote to the last ground through power switch. But DA-2 doesn't start up, is there something wrong?

Could you help me please?

wmv2Cfi.jpg

Edited by nando4
reference

1 hour ago, djmonta said:

RE: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7866-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx97010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win107osx1010-bsohn

Thank you for sharing the spec. It is very inspired build.

Now I'm trying to build almost the same using Dell DA-2 and GTX970.

I have completed wiring around (as picture below), 2 x 12V and 2 x Ground to PCIe Auxiliary Power Connector. The left 12V and Ground go to power the Akitio.

And DA-2's remote to the last ground through power switch. But DA-2 doesn't start up, is there something wrong?

Could you help me please?

wmv2Cfi.jpg

There is a LED on the Dell DA-2 just below where the 8-pin cable attaches to it.

It will be orange when you plug power into it indicating it's in standby mode.

It will be green when you GND the remote pin, indicating it's providing power.

If you get no activity from the LED then your Dell DA-2 isn't powered on or is faulty. For the former check your power socket and power cable.

• 1 month later...

Hello there, folks! First time posting but I've been reading this forum for quite a few days now. I'm thankful to you all for providing such useful info! I was planning to upgrade my machine but then I realize I could spare a few (many) bucks and build an eGPU instead.

So, I bought an Akitio Thunder 2, a Zotac GTX 970 and a Dell DA-2. My soldering skills are somewhat acceptable and I decided to make my own cable, but I lack the technical knowledge necessary to judge if this scheme will work in such setup. Attached is a draft of what I'm planning to do. I wanted to ask you guys first because I've seen that the use of 2 splitters is more common among y'all.

Many thanks!

scheme.jpg

Could work, but make sure the wires can carry some amps, if you want to daisy chain them. Better to solder them into a parallel setup.

One very important thing to keep in mind is, that the pins have to match the pinout of the DA-2 (look at page 1), so you don't mix 12V and ground. You will also need to include the 7th pin to make the DA-2 start.

• 1 month later...

Little bit wrong place to post, but seems to be most active place.

Trying to get DA2 to work with PicoPSU, but when i press on/Off button on pc, Dell PSU goes off, no lights showing. Replugging power cord makes green light active again. Polarity is right, its delivering 12.39V.

How to make Dell DA-2 to stay ON, when pc is on? :/

@Dschijn 250w, not sure is it made my minibox or who. http://www.amazon.com/250w-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-Supplies/dp/B00NB6U3TS

Even if i short picopsu (green+black) to power on it, same happens. Running fans only with dell da2 and no problem, but when i use it with pico no change! :ohmy:

Pico running fine with other lower A brick. (shorted test, too less A to power pc)

Edited by BTA